test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Guardian Fighter - Race and Stats

boldwinsboldwins Member Posts: 16 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Coming from other MMOs I've always enjoyed tanking.
I hear that Guardian Fighter is the better tank currently.

That being said what is the best race for min/maxing, and endgame dungeons?
I'm currently looking at either: Human, Dwarf, Halfling.

Also, for stats, out of the 12 possible initial rolls what is the best?
Best to max main stat like so?

Con Str Dex Wis Int Cha
18 13 13 10 10 8

Human: +2 to any ability score
Versatile Defense: increase defense by 3%
Heroic Effort: Gain an additional Heroic feat point at 10, 15, 20.

Dwarf: +2 Con
+2 to either Str/Wis
Stand your ground: Increased resistance to knock and repel effects.
Cast Iron Stomach: Increased resistance to DOT effects

Halfling: +2 Dex
+2 to either Char/Con
Nimble Reaction: +3% chance to deflect incoming attacks
Bold: +10% resistance to crowd control effects
Post edited by boldwins on

Comments

• Options
    kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    At level 60, an ideal GF will have 2x the Defense that he/she has in Power. Keeping that in mind, you have some choices on your build:

1) Complete Tank : 16 Con or higher to start with 24+ at level 60. However, grinding will be frustrating.
    2) Hybrid Tank : 16 Con, 16 Str, 14 Dex to start with 22+ for Con/Str at level 60. This is a "blend" of Striker/Defender
    3) Striker : 16+ Str to start with 24+ at level 60. This gives you 1:1 Power:Defense by level 30 and is a good mix imo

GF right now is a juggling act... You have to micro manage your actions via your chosen skills in such a way as to ONLY block what is necessary while using your remaining AP to "walk" out of the way or attack.

GF in NWO is very much different than other MMO's, but once you get used to the system it uses for blocking mechanics and threat it can be very useful.
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
  • Options
    boldwinsboldwins Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And based on the racial's, what race appears to be best for endgame stuff out of those three ?
  • Options
    strategiczstrategicz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    boldwins wrote: »
    And based on the racial's, what race appears to be best for endgame stuff out of those three ?

The obvious and only choice for min/maxing is human, there is no other choice. The flat gain to defense, +2 to any score and the additional 3 heroic points make them the absolute best for tanking.

1) The extra 3 heroic points can be directly equated to 9% health when maxing out a specific ability, in addition to also getting to max out another useful ability that you would have not been able to get otherwise. You can think of the 9% health as a free human passive and place your baseline points anywhere else you want for the best possible min/max.

2) Place the +2 to con and become even more efficient at tanking.

3) The 3% defense boost, in conjunction with the other two traits, is stupidly overpowered.

The sad truth is that for almost any class humans will be the best min/max choice because of their 3 extra heroic points and +2 to any score.
  • Options
    arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Yea I had a dwarf, didn't care how the armor looked broken on him and made a human and the extra Feats were pretty boss. I still managed to do something like 16 (str)/18 (con)/12 (dex) and 10's in the rest. Wasn't as good as my Dwarf who had like 19 strength and 20 Con but the extra feats and defense will really help out at the end but dwarf isn't too shabby with it's DOT resistance.

Really can't go wrong with either choice but I personally went with the mentality that I could pick up something far better with 3 extra feat points than I could with any other racial.
    nwsignature.jpg
  • Options
    kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    boldwins wrote: »

First, Reference the official NWO Wiki here: http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Neverwinter_Wiki

Second, I can tell you from having played "a lot" is that the following classes work best for GF:

Dwarf - +2 Str/ +2 Con. Both DOT and Resistence is AWESOME to have, even at endgame.
    Halfling - +2 Dex/ +2 Con. Believe it or not, that 10% AoE and 3% Deflection is rather noticable when "tanking".

While I have not tested it myself, several people have reported that the Teifling Bloodhunt and Infernal Wrath really help the GF do real damage. Personally though, the "shorties" above are tried and true tanks that still work best overall.

While humans have that +3% Def, the 3 added Feat points are really not that great when compared to what the additional +2 gives you: +2% more Damage/ Resistance/ AP. Look at the chart HERE to see what I am talking about.
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
  • Options
    baconnaisebaconnaise Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kolbe11 wrote: »
    First, Reference the official NWO Wiki here: http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Neverwinter_Wiki

Second, I can tell you from having played "a lot" is that the following classes work best for GF:

Dwarf - +2 Str/ +2 Con. Both DOT and Resistence is AWESOME to have, even at endgame.
    Halfling - +2 Dex/ +2 Con. Believe it or not, that 10% AoE and 3% Deflection is rather noticable when "tanking".

While I have not tested it myself, several people have reported that the Teifling Bloodhunt and Infernal Wrath really help the GF do real damage. Personally though, the "shorties" above are tried and true tanks that still work best overall.

While humans have that +3% Def, the 3 added Feat points are really not that great when compared to what the additional +2 gives you: +2% more Damage/ Resistance/ AP. Look at the chart HERE to see what I am talking about.

I really like my halfling GF but rerolled a human version for the extra feats. The feats seem to make a bigger difference imo at level cap.
  • Options
    neppanaattorineppanaattori Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This'll be my first GF and i rolled thiefling, i'm sure he'll do just fine endgame :)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Best Skills/powers (Both objective & subjective):

At Will:
    Cleave (You use this even at lvl 60 as Crushing Surge is too weak)
    Tide of Iron (Recovers your Guard the fastest, especially useful Vs Dragons)

Encounter:
    Lunging Strike (Only way you can get to a foe FAST)
    Griffon's Wrath (You get up to 3 of these and it stuns most foe, preventing them from attacking)
    Into The Fray (An ABSOLUTE MUST for Raiding parties. Swap it with something else when solo)
    Frontline Surge (Simply awesome when tagged with the Feat that increases foe prone duration)
    Bull Charge (Simply put, this end-game encounter knocks your foe off cliffs)

Dailies:
    Villain's Menace (Still the best even at lvl 60)
    Supremacy of Steel (Arguably the best power when used after suffering a huge hit)
    Indomitable Strength (Reminds one of a GWF when active)

Class:
    Depends on playstyle really, but I enjoy swapping between 4:

Solo - Combat Superiority and Enduring Warrior
    Raiding - Enhanced Mark and Shield Talent or Guarded Assault
  • Options
    wolfzilvawolfzilva Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 167
    edited April 2013
    It really doesn't matter what you pick for race. At lvl 60 there will still be far more healers and dps then GF.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    wolfzilva wrote: »
    It really doesn't matter what you pick for race. At lvl 60 there will still be far more healers and dps then GF.

Since you just joined, I'll ignore your troll and just move you along. *swish-swish*
  • Options
    drekorsilverfangdrekorsilverfang Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kolbe11 wrote: »
    At level 60, an ideal GF will have 2x the Defense that he/she has in Power. Keeping that in mind, you have some choices on your build:

1) Complete Tank : 16 Con or higher to start with 24+ at level 60. However, grinding will be frustrating.
    2) Hybrid Tank : 16 Con, 16 Str, 14 Dex to start with 22+ for Con/Str at level 60. This is a "blend" of Striker/Defender
    3) Striker : 16+ Str to start with 24+ at level 60. This gives you 1:1 Power:Defense by level 30 and is a good mix imo

GF right now is a juggling act... You have to micro manage your actions via your chosen skills in such a way as to ONLY block what is necessary while using your remaining AP to "walk" out of the way or attack.

GF in NWO is very much different than other MMO's, but once you get used to the system it uses for blocking mechanics and threat it can be very useful.
    Honestly the more I play the more I disagree with what you say should be a complete tank.

Every time I'm tanking it all comes down to a simple question... do I have enough guard to block? The moment I run out of block my threat generation and survivability go out the window. Every point(beyond 10) in str gives 1% more guard which I value more than 2% more max hp for tanking. I'd honestly suggest just going all out str.
  • Options
    cihuacoatlcihuacoatl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly the more I play the more I disagree with what you say should be a complete tank.

Every time I'm tanking it all comes down to a simple question... do I have enough guard to block? The moment I run out of block my threat generation and survivability go out the window. Every point(beyond 10) in str gives 1% more guard which I value more than 2% more max hp for tanking. I'd honestly suggest just going all out str.

i am not so sure about this.. doesn't your total block meter value based on your total health? Then gets modified after that by your total Str?
  • Options
    numark79numark79 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When you hit level 10, could you allocate all your attribute points to the stat you wanted? I was unable to put all my points into my primary attribute, was wondering if that was intended.
  • Options
    kardymankardyman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When I was making my character, I clicked the roll button once. I got:

Con 18
    Str 19
    Dex 18

I was happy with that :) I also chose Dwarf just because I was looking over the stats and such, and I felt that the Guard 5% racial would scale better as I got higher level. So we'll see how that works out.

So I got my character made, and I am waiting for my account to be able to make new posts so I can start a Guardian Fighter Mechanics thread. There are some interesting aspects of it even at low levels that I don't know if many are aware of. I am going to start writing it up in drive, and make a post when I am able to.
  • Options
    novronnovron Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What? No drow love?

Ok, ok, ok, maybe not the best but I can't just put a dorf or human on a giant spider.
  • Options
    leissesleisses Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Are you sure you got Con 18 Str 19 Dex 18? Those numbers are insane and really over the basic rolls.
  • Options
    sixsamsarassixsamsaras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    leisses wrote: »
    Are you sure you got Con 18 Str 19 Dex 18? Those numbers are insane and really over the basic rolls.

There is no way that dwarf can get that…
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Pretty sure that's what it is. I'm at work, but, I know it was really close to 20. I will double check when I get home. I was up late night and got to level 14 :D
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I am at work, and the character thing on the profile doesn't work. I will check it when I get home, but I know it was super high. Might have been 17/18/17 but I got the 2 points to spend, might be what i'm thinking of but... will double check it.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    kardyman wrote: »
    I am at work, and the character thing on the profile doesn't work. I will check it when I get home, but I know it was super high. Might have been 17/18/17 but I got the 2 points to spend, might be what i'm thinking of but... will double check it.

These are the possible starting rolls you can get, without the bonuses from the race:

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Ability_Score_Rolling

As for the poster with the Tiefling: Besides the fantastic tail, both racials are useful for a GF, and there is also the +2 CON. Bloodhunt is a flat +2.5% damage increase, Infernal Wrath translates to less incoming damage. My GF is a Tiefling, too. (My 60 CW is human, which I regret a little, but the male Tiefling faces did not work for me.)
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    kleeziekleezie Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    didnt read full thread.