test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Queue Problem (Constructive Feedback)

prunetracyprunetracy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
As most people are aware, there are long queues to get in the game. That's not unexpected for a new mmo, and perhaps particularly because this one is free and anyone can try it. Though, for a case study in how you can launch an MMO without queues, take a look at GW2.

Here are my problems with the queue:
1. Once you've logged in, you cannot swap characters without going back into the queue. I was annoyed during beta that logging off a character logged off an account, but with a queue the problem is significantly worse.
2. Disconnecting does not a leave a reconnect window either. This is annoying by itself, but if you're playing with a party now they're stuck waiting too (or moving on without you).
3. I can't access the store from outside the game. Like right now I want to buy more character slots. I have to wait in the queue, buy the slots, log out, make my character, then wait in the queue again.

In short: There needs to be a short window where you can log in again after logging out without being placed into the queue again. Yes, I realize this would lengthen queue times.
Post edited by prunetracy on

Comments

• bigbabybishbigbabybish Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    how about they just open up new servers? I mean seriously 3 servers? What kind of braindead dev's only have 3 servers.
  • snarftasticsnarftastic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    how about they just open up new servers? I mean seriously 3 servers? What kind of braindead dev's only have 3 servers.

They could accomplish having 0 ques with having just 1 server with instancing and this type of game, the number of servers you see on log on aren't the issue here.

(example: Guild Wars 1, not 2, because 2 sucks, but 1 because they did just that)
  • feorhfeorh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Speak about constructive and oh-not-so-much-constructive^)
    P.S. Totally agree!
  • morgensteinnmorgensteinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013

They had to lower the capacity of the servers because there was huge lag issues, which is why this is such a problem, hopefully they fix it though, I want to play!
  • shadowsideshadowside Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    this >>
    33178952.jpg
  • astaziaastazia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited April 2013
    IIRC GW2 actually had queues briefly a few times when all the overflow servers filled up. A queue to get into a queue basically, since the overflow servers were themselves somewhat queue-like and slightly annoying. Basically PW tried to do the same thing with NW, that's the whole reason there are 3 servers right now, they just got their numbers way off.
  • clurdgeclurdge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    They could accomplish having 0 ques with having just 1 server with instancing and this type of game, the number of servers you see on log on aren't the issue here.

(example: Guild Wars 1, not 2, because 2 sucks, but 1 because they did just that)

Agreed I have been trying to convince people of that but too many people think each server is just an oversized pc in the back room plugged to an ethernet cable.
  • volomontherealonevolomontherealone Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

What are you smoking? Even if your example was true, that 1 server is not one server once you begin instancing you usually add more servers. So essentially your still adding servers you just making it appear to be one server. Which if your going to do that you might as well open up whole new realms.
  • meldrothmeldroth Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    shadowside wrote: »
    this >>
    33178952.jpg

Well, you whipped that up quick. :D

Funny, that 29486 was the number for me too...

Maybe 29486 is Neverwinter's curse... a new Spellplague... The Spellqueue...

Odd, because 486 is my favorite number...
    "Truth is absolute, so if you truly seek it, you can find only one answer."
  • ionpulsarionpulsar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    more servers is a good way to avoid long queues, but the problem with many servers is when the population starts leaving and theres no queue line anymore then all servers will feel empty. In that case i prefer to have Queues the first few days right after launch. I just logged in and got in 7k+ queue line, suddently it jumped to 40k for a while. Now im at 3k+ in line. im soooo not logging out until this is fixed (either by population decline or by development patch) lol
  • bigbabybishbigbabybish Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What are you smoking? Even if your example was true, that 1 server is not one server once you begin instancing you usually add more servers. So essentially your still adding servers you just making it appear to be one server. Which if your going to do that you might as well open up whole new realms.

They could open up new dimensions for all I care, just make it so that people can play the game. Every mmo ever has had to open new servers, why hasnt this one done so yet.