test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

First time playing and already disappointed

gokkstergokkster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Character creation was good. Character progression seems very fun as well. Now for the stuff that doesn't excite me:

-Sluggish performance. 60 FPS all maxed yet mouse is unresponsive and sluggish. I tried turning off AA, shadows and such but no change.

-Cannot zoom in/out, only in "preview" mode or whatever that is. This is a major game killer for me. Such basic functionality shouldn't be missing from a modern MMO. I can't play at that zoom level it's weird and disorienting.

-Cannot preview items from a vendor or inventory. Tried all key combinations and asked Zone chat and they said i can't. Major fail because i don't want to waste currency on an item that looks like <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Major game killer - same happened in SWTOR since their item preview sucked.

-No nameplates. Seriously?

This was up until reaching the main city after the big bad boss at the end of tutorial zone. I'm not going to even mention lag because i hope it's just a open beta first day rush. Please tell me i'm wrong or i simply missed key interface commands because i was hyped for this game only to see it fall flat on its face to missing basic gameplay elements.

Questions still remain:

-Addon support? Can there be custom UI art and elements?

-Any open world? All i've seen so far was heavy instancing with maybe 1 or two players around yet it lagged hard.

-Can't whisper unless i pay cash shop? What kind of... nevermind i'm getting too ranty here :|
Post edited by gokkster on

Comments

• askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    gokkster wrote: »
    Character creation was good. Character progression seems very fun as well. Now for the stuff that doesn't excite me:

-Sluggish performance. 60 FPS all maxed yet mouse is unresponsive and sluggish. I tried turning off AA, shadows and such but no change.

-Cannot zoom in/out, only in "preview" mode or whatever that is. This is a major game killer for me. Such basic functionality shouldn't be missing from a modern MMO. I can't play at that zoom level it's weird and disorienting.

-Cannot preview items from a vendor or inventory. Tried all key combinations and asked Zone chat and they said i can't. Major fail because i don't want to waste currency on an item that looks like <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Major game killer - same happened in SWTOR since their item preview sucked.

This was up until reaching the main city after the big bad boss at the end of tutorial zone. I'm not going to even mention lag because i hope it's just a open beta first day rush. Please tell me i'm wrong or i simply missed key interface commands because i was hyped for this game only to see it fall flat on its face to missing basic gameplay elements.

Questions still remain:

-Any open world? All i've seen so far was heavy instancing with maybe 1 or two players around yet it lagged hard.

-Can't whisper unless i pay cash shop? What kind of... nevermind i'm getting too ranty here :|

Yea... this game is "socially gimped". Its too cumbersome to inspect people, or even tell their class. Poor selection of emotes and no way to target someone and do /salute for example. Its like a world of drones just going about their grind... no real interaction going on other than people spamming chat with questions.

This is more of an arcade type game. (think Gauntlet circa 1980's but only in 3D) *Warrior, shot the food*

I've already determined that while I do like the game it won't be my daily/main game like a traditional MMO would be. Which means I'll likely not be spending much money at all on it. This is going to be more like a welcomed distraction when I'm tired of GW2 or LOTRO or when I'm stuck on long, boring conference calls.

I do love the combat though. The heal pot spam design is kinda turning me off. I go thru like 100 pots an hour on my control wizard, sometimes more.
  • descedentdescedent Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    turn off vysync. turn off the frame limiter. and go play some more..

you can send tells without paying money....
  • mrlee9569mrlee9569 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 78
    edited April 2013
    BUH BYE.

<jerks head and rolls eyes towards the logout button>

/10char

Why post anything at all if your just going to be an ***?

Be helpful or stfu, it's that simple.

/facepalm
  • deacon777deacon777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Hahaha, sorry bro, That was me probably trolling you during my lunch break at work.

Anytime anyone asked why they couldnt pull up the map or why there was so much lag or something else, id ask if they had bought the "map unlock" on the zen store.

Sorry! Just having a bit of fun with ya. :D
  • vhjiezzi5vhjiezzi5 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    "-Cannot zoom in/out, only in "preview" mode or whatever that is. This is a major game killer for me. Such basic functionality shouldn't be missing from a modern MMO. I can't play at that zoom level it's weird and disorienting."

This is annoying for me as well. Is there anything planned to add a zoom in/out feature?
  • gokkstergokkster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    deacon777 wrote: »
    Hahaha, sorry bro, That was me probably trolling you during my lunch break at work.

Anytime anyone asked why they couldnt pull up the map or why there was so much lag or something else, id ask if they had bought the "map unlock" on the zen store.

Sorry! Just having a bit of fun with ya. :D
    I whispered someone in game about a question they asked me and instead i've gotten an error saying "can't whisper blabla zen shop"...
  • digidagdigidag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 60
    edited April 2013
    VSync and the frame limiter might do this. I've also noticed a few oddities regarding the mouse input switching to Software Mouse for some reason, which is awfully irresponsive.
    The entire game is based around the view you get. I suppose they want to stop you from overseeing the entire battlefield to make it feel more confined.
    Gold is useless anyway. So meh.
    Not sure what crack you're smoking, but I've had nameplates up and showing ever since the first beta incarnations.
    No.
    It opens up a little more as you progress, but there's no seamless open world.
    Anti-spam, new or free accounts can not whisper until level 15.
    edited April 2013
    descedent wrote: »
    turn off vysync. turn off the frame limiter. and go play some more..

you can send tells without paying money....
    Ain't gonna turn off frame limiter otherwise my GPU's temp shoots up.
  • deacon777deacon777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    digidag wrote: »

Oh woah, I didnt know that.
  • ixothixoth Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    vhjiezzi5 wrote: »
    "-Cannot zoom in/out, only in "preview" mode or whatever that is. This is a major game killer for me. Such basic functionality shouldn't be missing from a modern MMO. I can't play at that zoom level it's weird and disorienting."

This is annoying for me as well. Is there anything planned to add a zoom in/out feature?

Press 'b' then u should be able to zoom in/out.
    edited April 2013
    digidag wrote: »
    VSync and the frame limiter might do this. I've also noticed a few oddities regarding the mouse input switching to Software Mouse for some reason, which is awfully irresponsive.

The entire game is based around the view you get. I suppose they want to stop you from overseeing the entire battlefield to make it feel more confined.

Gold is useless anyway. So meh.

Not sure what crack you're smoking, but I've had nameplates up and showing ever since the first beta incarnations.

No.

It opens up a little more as you progress, but there's no seamless open world.

Ah thank you. I suppose i could get used to the camera zoom but it's still very annoying. The rest kinda put me off. I'll try playing again tomorrow but so far it's not impressing me at all :|
    edited April 2013
    ixoth wrote: »
    Press 'b' then u should be able to zoom in/out.
    The zoom resets back to default alter leaving the "B-mode".
  • digidagdigidag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 60
    edited April 2013
    Ah thank you. I suppose i could get used to the camera zoom but it's still very annoying. The rest kinda put me off. I'll try playing again tomorrow but so far it's not impressing me at all :|
    Sadly, the game has a few rough edges. But for a F2P game I guess it's not that bad. I was a little offput myself as well, and actually regret spending 200 bucks on it for a little while. But after forcing myself through the earlier Beta incarnations it grew on me. And while I agree that it is far from perfect, and missing a few things.. It is not a bad game. It's quite enjoyable once you get into it.

If you're on the mindflayer shard, feel free to add me (@digidag), I'm pretty sure I can talk you through or help out with a thing or two.
  • thraxysthraxys Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Well the game has come a long way since friends and family alpha. However, feels like it still has a long way to go. Maybe I will come try again when they release the battle cleric or paladin or avenger or warlord or something. Right now it just feels rather disconnected and characters feel too pigeon-holed and restricted to feel anything like D&D. Feels more like... [Insert any Korean MMO here]
  • dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    game plays well for me. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BEQE7CS5kE averaging 100 fps (video recorded/encoded at 30fps)
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Is it lag sluggish, because before the rush i got quick responsive, now everything is slow to do anything.

Eh, I've never really zoomed out like many seem to do in mmos, but i like being zoomed in. It makes you have to be more aware of things, since you can't really see behind yourself.

This truly sucks, i bought some vanity gear from a shop in game (not the zen store), and it looks god awful. They need this, but since almost all gear before cap looks so similar, it's not as game breaking as you'd think. Just wish this gets in soon.

Have you looked in the UI options, because i could swear it was one in there to show/not show them and when.

I sure hope never. Killed WoW for me, where if you didn't have a certain one, groups would kick you. Not to mention the stupid dps meters, which are built in here.

The different zones are "open", with instancing to keep lag down, so not sure how many are in each one, but you'll see people in those.

I heard it's cash or hit a certain level, not too high, 15 i think? Takes a couple hours, not hard at all. It's to keep gold spammers and scammers down. Free to play games generally have to come up with something to cut them down, so it's not a huge problem.
    edited April 2013
    tfangel wrote: »
    I sure hope never. Killed WoW for me, where if you didn't have a certain one, groups would kick you. Not to mention the stupid dps meters, which are built in here.
    I'm not talking about functionality addons. Talking about things like X-perl to change your frames, bartender to change your action bars, etc. Not deadly boss mods or recount.
  • razzy415razzy415 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    and again the comparison between this game and WoW began...
    edited April 2013
    I'm not talking about functionality addons. Talking about things like X-perl to change your frames, bartender to change your action bars, etc. Not deadly boss mods or recount.

Its got a UI modifier built in, scale, position all of that. Bartender and all that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> is a byproduct of an old game that threw dozens of skills at you. You will most likely only be using right/left mouse button. WASD, Q,E,R,1,2,3,4,5,6
  • sepheresephere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    They'll fix the lag issues eventually, it's because there's so many people on,
    stuff like this usually happens with the first day of open beta in any game.
    In fact, if it didn't happen,
    I'd be more worried that something else worse would happen later, because there's usually no perfect launch in a game such as this,
    at least not on day one, anyway.

I'd like a zoom feature in combat mode, as well.
    It doesn't have to be really far in/out, but just a little bit,
    you know?
    I personally like the camera to be zoomed in a bit closer, it makes me feel more immersed in the game.
    Like half an inch closer, not too much, and it would be perfect for me.
    And then other people might like it an inch zoomed out or something, too.
    Doesn't have to be birds-eye view or anything,
    just a little bit, to be able to zoom in and out would be an improvement on no zoom at all.

Previewing clothes would be a nice feature, but maybe it's a feature they're working on currently?
    Gw 2, for example, didn't have a preview in their auction house at the start, but they eventually put it in, later.
  • dlsilencedlsilence Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Many more modern mmo's have chat restrictions in place to prevent.. for example... a level 1 .. going to a city.. and spamming advertisements. I will agree on the camera zoom thing.. that is driving me up the wall as I chose a halfing and made her resemble my Alien in Star Trek Online as much as possible.. only to find that I can't hardly see myself and there's ZERO hope of zooming closer without dropping the entire UI. And on that note.. as someone who plays STO, I think you somehow f'd up the UI.. it's the same setup as STO has, but when I go to scale the UI, I have to increase the chat text size? wtf is that?

As for the nameplates thing.. you can turn those on in the options menu as you see fit. This game is very much just the same thing as Star Trek Online is, except two major changes. 1) It's set in D&D and 2) you're stuck in "Shooter Mode" which is a feature most sto players never use because it feels clunky and sluggish. There is a lot of potential though.. and I haven't gotten far enough to make a full personal opinion on it.. I just hope that there is more to do when I hit max level here than Crypic's other games offer.
  • zedfighterzedfighter Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Since Saturday, up until today, I was playing on a GTX 260 with every single setting maxed. No matter where I went in game, it ran awesome. I was very surprised how amazing the game performed. I'm not sure why you were having so much trouble, graphically.

That being said, this morning I pulled the old diehard out and stuck in an HD 7970 2Gb, and a Samsung SSD ;) Wouldn't ya'know it, can't log in now =\
  • cera001cera001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's a perfect world game. That already tells me its fail. I guarantee everyone this game will suck and only get worse...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • anyport313anyport313 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Heard about this game 2 days ago installed and got it goin today, gotta say im havin fun. Run around and frag ****, i could care less about other stuff, wtb more servers to squash the lag and queues but im sure that will happen eventually.
    I think i got my money's worth... oh wait i didnt pay a dime. Not having to pay is a good feature... im hoping pvp isnt pay to win we will see. thumbs up so far.
    I fully expected the lag, **** even blizz has choppy servers on launch days for their xpacs.. its to be expected