test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter being a P2W rant - A look from both perspectives.

hipsteryolohipsteryolo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 15 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So, the forum has been going crazy during the last couple of days, and personally I've been seeing countless threads either defending that NW isn't a P2W game, or threads stating that it is. However, here's my personal rant on it, and what I think about it - please feel free to discuss anything related to this topic above!

Just to start this whole topic out, I don't think Neverwinter is a "Pay to win" game - In my opinion, "Pay to win"(Or P2W) is when you're limited to the game, unless you cash out and spend money on it. In Neverwinter, you can do the exact same things, and obtain the exact same gear, level or even mount speed as a payer, without spending a dime. You have to invest time instead, which to me is part of the adventure - and part of the fun! I don't see anything wrong with buying things from the Zen store like profession booster packs, exp boost or some cool features like awesome pets/mounts - Hell, I even already did so myself! But, as many others I'm afraid this could take the wrong turn.

As stated in various other topics, I think Zen and AD should be seperated. AD should only be able to be obtained within the game, and should be the currency to purchase gear, mount training and all the things that affect the game - And Zen should be used for cosmetics and all the bonus vanity features - which so many of us love! The problem here as I see it, is that Cryptic is on the edge of the P2W border. They're currently selling out things like extremely effective healing potions, which you will most definitely need as a level 60 right now - with the current content and thread level. - Sure! You can convert AD to Zen, but a greater stone of health costs 1500 Zen, which with the current economics equals to (1500*480) = 720000 AD, imo that's just too much. Let's say we get our maximum level of Astral diamonds each day(25000) it'll take us(720000/25000=) 29 days in order to get 200 charges of a healing potion, that I feel is rather needed. Same goes for ressurection scrolls, health kits and everything like that.

So, just to sum up my little rant here - I think AD and Zen should be seperated, Zen should be cosmetic only and the AD should only be achievable within the game(Might wanna raise the 25k cap, or lower the cost of items as well if this would go into effect)

As a bonus feature - I'd like gold to become a more influent currency - as I see near to no use for it as it is now :)

Feel free to discuss, agree or disagree! I'm just hoping this will get a bit of attention towards the problem of P2W or not, as I tried to put as many arguments that I saw from other threads into it.
Post edited by hipsteryolo on

Comments

• moosetraxmoosetrax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I wouldn't consider this game P2W. You can't pay for better stats. That is what I would consider pay to win. I would consider this game Pay2Convenience, which is where most cash shop MMOs are now a days. Sub models do not work for people who work, or do not sit at the computer day in and day out. Your time investment can net you what you want over time. P2C (pay2convenience) is for people who are skilled gamers, or who love gaming, but can't devote a 50 hour work week to it. We aren't all in college, highschool, or whatever nets you enough time to play all day long, but it doesn't mean we enjoy the game any less. The reason people don't cling to sub models so willingly is because they still have to bust their asses in game. And people come here as scream "GW2 DID IT!!! GEMS SHOP VANITY!" Really? gems->gold is the same **** thing as astral diamonds. You should be kissing the *** of P2C game developers. You still get a good game, and you don't even have to pay the box price. Heck, all you have to do is put more time in, which you will do already. You'll probably end up running the economy anyway, and I'll be buying astral diamonds for gear to support your Zen purchases. Cry less and be happy please.
  • hipsteryolohipsteryolo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    moosetrax wrote: »
    I wouldn't consider this game P2W. You can't pay for better stats. That is what I would consider pay to win. I would consider this game Pay2Convenience, which is where most cash shop MMOs are now a days. Sub models do not work for people who work, or do not sit at the computer day in and day out. Your time investment can net you what you want over time. P2C (pay2convenience) is for people who are skilled gamers, or who love gaming, but can't devote a 50 hour work week to it. We aren't all in college, highschool, or whatever nets you enough time to play all day long, but it doesn't mean we enjoy the game any less. The reason people don't cling to sub models so willingly is because they still have to bust their asses in game. And people come here as scream "GW2 DID IT!!! GEMS SHOP VANITY!" Really? gems->gold is the same **** thing as astral diamonds. You should be kissing the *** of P2C game developers. You still get a good game, and you don't even have to pay the box price. Heck, all you have to do is put more time in, which you will do already. You'll probably end up running the economy anyway, and I'll be buying astral diamonds for gear to support your Zen purchases. Cry less and be happy please.

Indeed, I see your point and agree with it - but don't you think it's slighty close to P2W if you can buy things to improve your game in the store - that isn't available for others in the open world? Except if you go cash in all those AD's to Zen and get it? - Not only on the cosmetic side, as I think that's exactly where the money should go - but like I said, healing potions, scroll of ressurections etc, etc.