test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Not being able to move while attacking

forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in PvE Discussion
and having every mob and its mother plant red circles under you is a terrible game design

i cant believe im the only one reporting this. its annoying as **** and makes for VERY BAD GAMEPLAY.

you cant make us 'feel' like its an action mmo, make the game and our needed responses like an action mmo, but make it play like a regular mmo but with a targetting sight instead of tab targetting.

they plant red circles every 2 seconds, and if you really want to keep avoiding them you need to stop dpsing every 1-2 seconds and it makes for some really ****ty really pissing off really worthless gameplay
Post edited by forsakenlich1 on

Comments

• Options
    qwal1qwal1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    l2p it's the game design, it's f2p, stop playing and go do something else instead. problem solved.

It's a huge gameplay feature, and will 99% not change,
  • Options
    khoraxgatorkhoraxgator Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I considered this for a moment, and then realized that the choice of whether to attack or move and timing are major elements of this game. It's still active, but combat feels stilted because it's unnatural..

But if someone is attacking you, you can't very well actively defend yourself if you're trying to attack at the same time.

Personally, I say it's a workable attempt. It's not as clean and smooth as GW2, but it's still active combat that requires thought, as opposed to random button mashing.
  • Options
    quickness87quickness87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Personally, I say it's a workable attempt. It's not as clean and smooth as GW2, but it's still active combat that requires thought, as opposed to random button mashing.

^ I agree with that
  • Options
    forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

its clunky is what it is. the animation lock, especially on a GWF, is real heavy
  • Options
    kerchaktickerchaktic Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I kind of like the more classical feel to combat. Yes, I had to adjust myself from playing GW2, Tera, Defiance, TOR, and other "action combat" games of late. Maybe closer to LOTRO or EQ2 than GW2. A another take on the traditional?

It feels a bit slower and deliberate. NW is a little like digging a hole and transplanting a flower pot, and GW2 is like washing your hands afterwards. Both have a flow and a process, neither are better or worse than the other.

There is nothing "wrong" per say with it's implementation it is just another way to do it. I would not say that one style is better than the other, as I would not readily compare Halo directly with Gears of War, or Gears against Ghost Recon. I think it has to be what fits the game itself, not simply compared and then written off against other games.

Could they smooth the tactile feedback? Perhaps create some kind of illusion that masks the deliberate lack of responsiveness between attacking/moving? They could. Does the game need to play just like GW2 to be successful? Not sure.
  • Options
    silentnights1silentnights1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 50
    edited April 2013
    You are given movement abilities that break your rotation and get you out of danger. Use them. Planting yourself in combat is deliberate, and goes with the 4e rule set. It makes the hits feel like they are connecting and that there is power behind it. Go grab a sword and try swinging while running around. Make sure you have good health insurance first.
  • Options
    hokonosohokonoso Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 40
    edited April 2013
    this way allows for pvp to use more tactics than 100% twitch-fest. tho this game is still very twitchy... for some reason it doesnt seem painful in this game like it did in tera, i guess cause you still have time to dodge/move out of the red circles with ur dodge move which you couldnt do in tera...
    What is democrazy? It is a government in which the ruling power is given to whoever is most skillful at directing the herd instincts of the largest masses of their most ignorant citizens.
    --Nom Anor
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    hokonoso wrote: »
    this way allows for pvp to use more tactics than 100% twitch-fest. tho this game is still very twitchy... for some reason it doesnt seem painful in this game like it did in tera, i guess cause you still have time to dodge/move out of the red circles with ur dodge move which you couldnt do in tera...
    You are given movement abilities that break your rotation and get you out of danger. Use them. Planting yourself in combat is deliberate, and goes with the 4e rule set. It makes the hits feel like they are connecting and that there is power behind it. Go grab a sword and try swinging while running around. Make sure you have good health insurance first.

except in level 47 and still dont have any dodge move as a GWF. Sprint is a very poor excuse for an engage/disengage/dodge mechanic and makes the combat process even more clunky
  • Options
    cydaeacydaea Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I was apprehensive before playing but I think it works well in its own right. I'm certainly enjoying my Devoted Cleric. I just need to get used to my new mouse binding for dodge as I've gotten so used to pressing SHIFT. xD
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    skills like wicked strike even rely on you having to do 3 full hits in its slow rotation to maximize it fully. sure strike as well. with no dodge mechanic for the class that i am aware of, and the clunky mechanics your forced to take a **** ton of hits and aoe or walk around doing really sub par dps
  • Options
    rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Eh, I teach kendo. :)
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I still prefer how DDO allows casting and attacking while moving, and for those that remember, it used to be you needed a feat to cast while moving, and you slowed down. They then made it for everyone, as everyone took it the feat anyway.

Standing still here is mostly okay, you learn to have to decide on not taking damage or doing damage. The only times i curse it is with bosses that spawn adds that also like to plop circles, and those winter wolves who never come alone, and they spam that annoying cone attack.
  • Options
    rpgbrorpgbro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2013

This is exactly how I feel, as well. In fact, it's exactly what I came in here to say.
  • Options
    silentnights1silentnights1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 50
    edited April 2013
    Forsakenlich, I too play a GWF, and sprint is extremely responsive. Yes, you have to decide if you want to be hit or get out of the way. FYI, we are not a dps/striker class.
  • Options
    nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i dissliked it at first too, but now i have to say it is smart - combat does feel a lot better, more viscarel and "weighted" than if you could move around which makes combat floaty. Moreover it also makes the combat much more tactically because you have to position yourself and decide if you move or attack... lets face it, if you cold move while attacking, the same would happen as in mount & blade and the such, where people just spin around eacher other until one drops, its pretty ridicoulos and boring