test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Companions.. what are they good for..?

scorgescorge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 74
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
As in the song what are they good for.. absolutely nothing...

Ok well maybe not all, although there AI is still very bad, and usually unless teh fight lasts longer than a few seconds they will do nothing as they are slow to react.

Also increasing +power and stats with runestones seems to show hardly any difference in DPS for HPS (if a healer).

Companions seem to have all the same base stats but differant attacks, i would prefer companions to have differant starting stats, just like characters do.

can the devs please relook at the companions and fix the AI, some pathing problems and also the animation.

:cool:
Post edited by scorge on

Comments

• Options
    elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    They might have some issues with pathing and reaction but I find them FAR from useless. The cleric in particular, I don't even have to slot my shield spell with her around.
  • Options
    zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    In case you're soloing, you don't feel lonely.
  • Options
    streethawkestreethawke Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You forgot the WHOO
    War! WHOO! What is it good for? AAAbsolutely nuttin!
    b_ro.png
    When you want to break the mold

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    muraisxmuraisx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    you forgot the whoo
    war! Whoo! What is it good for? Aaabsolutely nuttin!

Say it agin naaaaaaaaaah!!

EDIT: Quite annoyed. Ze forums do not seem to like me using Capitalization at all. My inner Grammar <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>/compulsions to make exclamations are screaming right now.
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Member Posts: 3,514 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The Dire Wolf is great, interrupts enemy charge attacks all the time.
  • Options
    drakedge2drakedge2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I find use with them, they aren't like your companions in SWTOR, more like a mini me that helps you out a little bit by making the same facial expression as you *pinky evil smile anyone?*
    8IxArUQf.jpg
    A story driven quest, with a fun and challenging amount of combat, that takes you into the world of Planescape, carefully hand crafted by me.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    War is good for dealing with issues that can only be resolved through the application of massive, ongoing force. I have found the Dire Wolf quite useful with the mitigation it provides.
  • Options
    mltdwnmltdwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 73
    edited April 2013
    elyrielle wrote: »
    They might have some issues with pathing and reaction but I find them FAR from useless. The cleric in particular, I don't even have to slot my shield spell with her around.

Yeah but the panther is absolutely useless. I have mine sitting around at lvl 15 gathering dust because he has almost gotten me killed so many times by NOT jumping in to attack, while my maxxed lvl 15 cleric keeps me alive well enough when combined with my regeneration. Only problem with her is that I have abilities that lower my threat so end result, usually half-way through the battle they switch aggro focus to her and beat her down like a red headed step child.
  • Options
    tacc4990tacc4990 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    It seems to me that once you get lvl 40+ the companions are nearly useless. My cleric companion dies *EVERY* time I pull a group of mobs. Usually within the first couple seconds and I'm stuck fighting without it the rest of the fight cause it takes too long to revive it and the mobs will kill you while you try to get it back up (Just so it can die again in 2 more seconds) then the Panther 90% of the time just stands there and doesn't actually attack anything. The wolf is okay I guess but nothing special.

Companions in general just seem like garbage past low levels. It's unfortunate. Hopefully they improve the AI a bit and give us ways to further increase companions power somehow.
  • Options
    mltdwnmltdwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 73
    edited April 2013
    tacc4990 wrote: »
    It seems to me that once you get lvl 40+ the companions are nearly useless. My cleric companion dies *EVERY* time I pull a group of mobs. Usually within the first couple seconds and I'm stuck fighting without it the rest of the fight cause it takes too long to revive it and the mobs will kill you while you try to get it back up (Just so it can die again in 2 more seconds) then the Panther 90% of the time just stands there and doesn't actually attack anything. The wolf is okay I guess but nothing special.

Companions in general just seem like garbage past low levels. It's unfortunate. Hopefully they improve the AI a bit and give us ways to further increase companions power somehow.

Well to be fair the highest the cleric can get is 15. They had problems with her in beta as well if you remember and then fixed her so she is useful, and she is still not that bad if you can keep aggro on you. I'm sure once the training manuals show up and we can get them to 30 it will be better.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Good god y'all

My panther actually kicks *** after a few choice wards and enchants.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    aandiin02aandiin02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    as a CW i can't begin to express the love i have for my meatshield man-at-arms. He is a lifesaver time and time again....i don't mind his dps, aslong as he keeps agro and let me nuke stuff unmolested.....which he still does at close to 40. He is 15 himself, just waiting for the upgrade thing to be made available.....He is a keeper and will be upgraded until he can't be upgraded no more....no matter what the cost of those things will be.
  • Options
    drizz57drizz57 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Is the AI just awful on every companion? Ive only used the dog and half the time it just stands there, it gets stuck on EVERYTHING it really is just completely useless. The 5% of the time when he actually hits things I do enjoy his knockback CC though.

I guess im just spoiled on SWTOR companions they were fantastic
  • Options
    morterictusgrinmorterictusgrin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah the ai for companions is dreadful as is their pathfinding. The companions in this game are just fancy pets. I feel bad for anyone who purchased the expensive ones. They don't even get any meaningful interactions with them.
  • Options
    valgavantevalgavante Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 71
    edited April 2013
    I can't play without a Companion :D I set my rogue that makes a little amount of damage in favor of a permanent invisibility, in this way my pet will be the target the whole time (with a support from my shadow clone) allowing me to do my nasty job without getting any damage. When he dies i just revive him in stealth...so...yeah companions are useful XD just find your way.

Sorry for my bad Eng ;D
    65752563.jpg77219287.jpg
  • Options
    oooo1111oooo1111 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited April 2013
    As a control wizard using the man at arms companion I can pull an entire solo quest dungeon and use him as bait to aoe kill 30 mobs at once.

Certainly can't do that with any other companions.
  • Options
    brollypopbrollypop Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Am I the only one here who feels like companions are terrible idea for a MMO ? It just feels wrong and artificial when you do a dungeon run and you realize that only half of the group are actual players and the other is (flawed) AI ... I actually hope companions will get disabled in any pvp events or end game dungeons, and will be used just for leveling and questing.
  • Options
    glymm82glymm82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You need to watch high end gameplay and look at Cats and Ioun Stones particularly allure ... The way the pet works it transfers 100% of the stats it has to you ... and stays alive in any fight as they are non combat pets ... every major endgame group is running 5 cats ...
    example ... says Grants Crit and Recovery .. but that is because those are the only base stats the cat has ... otherwise it would read grants 100% of stats the cat has to the owner ... so equip lvl 7 runestones and some lvl 60 necks and I get 800 crit and 800 recovery from a pet that cant die ... WIN
    The Ioun Stone of Allure just has different base stats but the cat is being run by every major group making progression on every class ... just outfitting it with the stats they want ...

Also the books to upgrade companions to epic level will be out soon making some combat pets viable in early dungeons but Epic dungeons and beyond require something that wont get one shot by super powerful aoe boss attacks ... aka noncombat pets ... the rest are for fun, leveling, and grinding ...
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    scorge2 wrote: »
    As in the song what are they good for.. absolutely nothing...

Ok well maybe not all, although there AI is still very bad, and usually unless teh fight lasts longer than a few seconds they will do nothing as they are slow to react.

Also increasing +power and stats with runestones seems to show hardly any difference in DPS for HPS (if a healer).

Companions seem to have all the same base stats but differant attacks, i would prefer companions to have differant starting stats, just like characters do.

can the devs please relook at the companions and fix the AI, some pathing problems and also the animation.

:cool:
    HAve to agree they are far from useless however there is plenty of room for improvement.

The panther for example is just way too slow not befitting an item that was purchased for so much money in the foundry system it was so bad that I was extatic to finally have reached the level of gaining the level 1 companion so that I could replace him.

They are slow to move, pounce actually takes 5 seconds to jump, they do no aggro at all, and they hardly do any damage starting off. It would have been better just to get an improved man at arms or something at this point.
  • Options
    rekoj13rekoj13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've been pretty unimpressed with the Zen store epic pets. The tank one sucks at holding aggro, and the badger doesnt do much unless its a long fight. They just take too long to engage. Even the healer is pretty sub par.

The regular DC and Man at Arms are far superior (mostly i think because of the long cooldowns on abilitys the Zen ones get).

As a DC main, I just use the man at arms most times because he holds aggro good enough. Over time im sure they will improve these pets and their AI, for now they are pretty lacking.
    Xbox Gamer Tag: Brian G Awesome
    Devoted Cleric: Heskan
  • Options
    drowbeatendrowbeaten Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Dejavu. Feel like I've suddenly been warped back in time a few years into the DDO forum. Shame to have to read here that the same problems that existed then are still happening but in a new game. You'd think there'd be some improvement by now. I quit DDO because of it. Hope I don't have to do a repeat.