test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What weapon types are there?

faergorrfaergorr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I wonder, what weapon types are there?
From what I have seen:
Cleric had a scepter,
Great weapon fighter a two handed sword,
Rogue had daggers,
Guardian fighter had a sword and shield, and
Mage has an orb,
Is that it, nothing else? Is every class stuck with one and only weapon type?
If that is the case, then that seriously sucks. Forgotten realms had always tons of different weapon types, 39 to be more precise, and getting only one single weapon type for each class would be a huge downside.
Also, not sure why is great weapon fighter called great WEAPON fighter (and not a great sword fighter), if he has only great sword, and that is it. Btw, even in Neverwinter cinematic, they promote a two handed axe (we can see a warrior in plate armor wielding huge axe), and yet there is none.

I hope cryptic is going to change that soon.

Just to let you know about all the weapon types in Forgotten realms, this is the list:
Simple proficiency weapons: club, dagger, mace, sickle, spear, morningstar, quarterstaff, light and heavy crossbows, dart, and sling.
Martial proficiency weapons: battleaxe, greataxe, greatsword, halberd, handaxe, heavy flail, light flail, light hammer, longbow, longsword, rapier, scimitar, shortsword, shortbow, throwing axe, trident, and warhammer.
Exotic proficiency weapons:
b astard sword, dire mace, dwarven waraxe*, double axe, kama, katana, kukri, scythe, shuriken, whip*, and two-bladed sword

And what did we get? 5 weapon types out of 39. All 39 weapon types were available in 10 year old game, that was released in 2003, and everything was balanced. Now, it is 10 years later, 2013, and we get 5 weapon types out of 39, and yet there are balance issues, even now.
If couple of different weapon types were available for each class, that would be awesome.
Post edited by faergorr on

Comments

• faergorrfaergorr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This should get more notice IMO. So I am bumping this.
    We need more variations and customization through weapons, so we all would be different. I do not like to look like everyone else. Also every class would play differently with different weapon type, take for example Guild Wars 2, that is a nice example :).
  • asmodeuswinsasmodeuswins Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    100% agree, this game would benefit alot from being more like D&D instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.
  • jeallejealle Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    agreed 100%
  • ichbinichbin Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    100% agreed with how much this game sux.
  • robobot13robobot13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Actually there are a number of different boss dropped weapons I have seen - a mace for GF, and iirc a 2 handed axe for GWF among others. There are just not enough different weapons dropping in game.
  • kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ichbin wrote: »
    100% agreed with how much this game sux.

I doubt that is what OP was getting at but i think you just need a reason to moan about how bad the game 'sux' (it is 'sucks by' the way).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eliseren1tyeliseren1ty Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Is there a player handbook anywhere or is this game a totally undocumented stumble through?
    // here be dragons
    CRect HAMSTER; // darn near killed'em
    my $search_key = $something_else;
    foreach (keys %some_hash) {
    if ($_ eq $search_key) {
    do_something($_);
    }
    else();
    }
    locked by NullUserException
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    need bows for players. All the mobs have them, so its implemented.... rogue and fighters for sure should be able to go ranged if they want. I have found, so far, nothing but 2h swords for my fighter, nothing but orbs for my mage, and nothing but holyhandcuffs for my cleric.
  • cesmode8cesmode8 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I havent played the game yet, but from what Ive seen I kind of noticed the same thing as the OP. It such a small issue, but one that would bug the hell out of me. If I played a GWF and the only weapon I could use is a two handed sword, I'd be annoyed..quickly. Tera did that. Hated that part of it. But, someone in this thread has said otherwise, so maybe there is hope.

Also, the names of the classes are just downright..silly. Maybe its something within the D&D universe..but a..GREAT WEAPON FIGHTER ZOMG!. Come on. Do we need three words to describe this class? Cant it just be "Warrior". Trickster rogue...why? Cant it just be Rogue? Devoted Cleric..cant it just be Cleric? Much simpler, less corny.
  • a35sea35se Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ya'll are rediculous. If you spend time playing the game instead of typing walls of BS on the forums then you might see how ignorant posts like this are. On my 60 GWF, I have personally seen atleast 4 different types of weapon for each class. That 2-handed axe you say doesnt exist, does infact exist and is a drop in a dungeon.
  • prysianprysian Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    cesmode8 wrote: »
    I havent played the game yet, but from what Ive seen I kind of noticed the same thing as the OP. It such a small issue, but one that would bug the hell out of me. If I played a GWF and the only weapon I could use is a two handed sword, I'd be annoyed..quickly. Tera did that. Hated that part of it. But, someone in this thread has said otherwise, so maybe there is hope.

Also, the names of the classes are just downright..silly. Maybe its something within the D&D universe..but a..GREAT WEAPON FIGHTER ZOMG!. Come on. Do we need three words to describe this class? Cant it just be "Warrior". Trickster rogue...why? Cant it just be Rogue? Devoted Cleric..cant it just be Cleric? Much simpler, less corny.

It's because they are going off of many elements of 4th edition D&D when they made the game, so they decided (for some strange reason) to make separate builds of a class into separate classes altogether, thus the different fighters etc. I think it's kind of lame, I feel shoe-horned as a control wizard. Control is all I'll ever do, or at least it feels that way otherwise why make two separate fighters?