test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

One thing 'action' mmo devs dont get

forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
is that you cant have a truly action mmorpg without ****ing up the playerbase.

You know action games like GoW, DMC, and heck, street fighter? You know the stress level that builds up from the attention required to play those games (im not talking fear and worry here but physical stress - those games are very mentally and actually physically demanding. You know you have to take a break from those every hour and a half or youll fry. maybe you can play GoW or DMC as a run through - some crazy people might do all 3 titles back to back as a 'special weekend'. but you need recovery after that.

imagine a dmc or GOW mmo. if an mmo wants to be truly action oriented, thats what it needs to be finally. that is an EXTREMELY draining lifestyle.

and yes, ultimately, mmorpgs serve the purpose of a certain kind of lifestyle. you play them long hours. some people play them all day, run their own companies or are self employed and play 12-15 hours a day getting stuff done in between.

Every mob takes a lot of attention to kill in this game. they are tough, and every mob and their mother have red circles that you need to stay on your toes to avoid. I need to drink 1-3 potions per group as a 44 GWF and i have excellent gear for my level. It can go down to 1 potion / 2 groups if i am absolutely 100% attentive and on my toes. But i feel fried after 30 minutes of that. i cant imagine playing this like an mmorpg with this kind of action attention needed.

they need to tone down the twitch based gameplay that keeps you on your toes and bring back a little more relaxed MMO feel or this is just an action game. given the way the metagame advances, you need to play a lot to do well.

i will just end up quitting because the game is too physically demanding ill need 4 red bulls and eventually a smoke of meth to keep up with the demands of this game on my psyche and nervous system
Post edited by forsakenlich1 on

Comments

• clurdgeclurdge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Need to get outside more if the game is "physically demanding".
  • forsakenlich1forsakenlich1 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    clurdge wrote: »
    Need to get outside more if the game is "physically demanding".

you need to get more in touch with yourself if you cant see how much stress action games put on your nervous system, let alone an action MMO

theres a reason mmorpgs were set in a slightly more relaxed, non-action mindset - and it wasnt just lack of technology. they were meant to be drawn out and life consuming - silly as it sounds - but add that and 'an action' mindset and you have a very draining, demanding game thats unhealthy
  • erideitaerideita Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 304
    edited April 2013
    I can't see how Neverwinter as an action-based MMO is physically demanding. I sat through beta weekends playing for hours -dozens of hours- and not getting any more exhausted or stressed than when I play a more classical MMO. You might want to follow your own advice and get in touch with *youself* if you think NW is physically demanding.
  • inconsiderateinconsiderate Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 73
    edited April 2013
    I don't see this at all. I've spent the last 7 and a half hours doing nothing but pvp with steady story missions while waiting for queues. (Don't judge me, I have days off from work ;) ) I've also played and loved the Devil May Cry series, and never had any problem with playing those for extended periods either.

If you're the type of person who gets really stressed out playing action games, you need to reevaluate how long you play games, and take breaks. The rest of us have low blood pressure, know how to relax, and don't get worked up so easily.
  • tanerastaneras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So basically you'd like to see an "easy mode" put in place?
  • xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    is that you cant have a truly action mmorpg without ****ing up the playerbase.

You know action games like GoW, DMC, and heck, street fighter? You know the stress level that builds up from the attention required to play those games (im not talking fear and worry here but physical stress - those games are very mentally and actually physically demanding. You know you have to take a break from those every hour and a half or youll fry. maybe you can play GoW or DMC as a run through - some crazy people might do all 3 titles back to back as a 'special weekend'. but you need recovery after that.

imagine a dmc or GOW mmo. if an mmo wants to be truly action oriented, thats what it needs to be finally. that is an EXTREMELY draining lifestyle.

and yes, ultimately, mmorpgs serve the purpose of a certain kind of lifestyle. you play them long hours. some people play them all day, run their own companies or are self employed and play 12-15 hours a day getting stuff done in between.

Every mob takes a lot of attention to kill in this game. they are tough, and every mob and their mother have red circles that you need to stay on your toes to avoid. I need to drink 1-3 potions per group as a 44 GWF and i have excellent gear for my level. It can go down to 1 potion / 2 groups if i am absolutely 100% attentive and on my toes. But i feel fried after 30 minutes of that. i cant imagine playing this like an mmorpg with this kind of action attention needed.

they need to tone down the twitch based gameplay that keeps you on your toes and bring back a little more relaxed MMO feel or this is just an action game. given the way the metagame advances, you need to play a lot to do well.

i will just end up quitting because the game is too physically demanding ill need 4 red bulls and eventually a smoke of meth to keep up with the demands of this game on my psyche and nervous system

Then quit. Go play bridge or shuffleboard or something. There are plenty of terrible tab target braindead easy MMOs out there, don't try and ruin this one.
  • l4stlifel4stlife Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 66
    edited April 2013
    That's what makes this game awesome, bring on the action!!!
  • iluvatarrulesiluvatarrules Member Posts: 172 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    He is trolling
  • asmodeuswinsasmodeuswins Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    you need to get more in touch with yourself if you cant see how much stress action games put on your nervous system, let alone an action MMO

theres a reason mmorpgs were set in a slightly more relaxed, non-action mindset - and it wasnt just lack of technology. they were meant to be drawn out and life consuming - silly as it sounds - but add that and 'an action' mindset and you have a very draining, demanding game thats unhealthy

You put it on yourself.
  • reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    he might be trolling but what he speaks of i experienced in one of the beta weekends pure adrenaline, physical stress heart racing felt all that
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • elvith28elvith28 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You cant take it you dont play it mate. NW is an awesome game ok less than i expected but still thumbs up.
  • hokonosohokonoso Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 40
    edited April 2013
    OP is a GWF, try a TR or CW and you will see how easy this game is :P
    What is democrazy? It is a government in which the ruling power is given to whoever is most skillful at directing the herd instincts of the largest masses of their most ignorant citizens.
    --Nom Anor
  • atompenguinatompenguin Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ohohohohoooooo! Really? Really?

If you're not healthy enough to play a video game without it giving you issues, you need to find a different hobby. Or a good doctor.
    -Campaign: Spells and Coin
    --Part 1: Spells and Coin (NW-DHM3XQVQK)
    --Part 2: A Blind Eye (NW-DI3QTHZGJ)
    --Part 3: Dodo's Dinner (NW-DHPA8O253)

-One Shots
    --The Wizard of Eldeur (NW-DRKQNE4S7)
  • trevien29trevien29 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited April 2013
  • kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Clicking my mouse makes me break a sweat. That's burning calories, right?
    edited April 2013
    And again: He is trolling
  • adamaantadamaant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    He makes this game sounds so hardcore! I think there is a valid point to be made that action only mmo's have suffered in the past and present: Defiance, Tabula Rusa, the first iteration of DDO, and even Tera Online. MMO'ing to a lot of people is a relaxing hobby. This might not be the game for them. I would like to see some non action activities as well. Maybe guild politics, espionage, housing and building, and roleplaying oriented content or locations. Fleshing out a game like this with real living breathing residents of Neverwinter would be a great addition and a place to rest. It's a terrific game, and I'm finding myself able to play a long time without stopping even though I'm used to a more subdued MMO environment. I also take breaks to watch TV, do housework and play with the dog!
  • prysianprysian Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Maybe I can make painting miniatures sound like physical exercise. . .yes. . .good. . .
  • aedania84aedania84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think physical exchaustion does not describe it good enough. My concern is that the repeated small movements with the mouse will lead to wrist pain. Constant aiming with the mouse does seem like a bad design idea, and it will definately keep me from playing for hours. But maybe that's not such a bad thing. Means we can get to do other things than playing a video game ;)

If a game gives you stress you should not play it.
  • kaltoumkaltoum Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't know if OP is serious or being sarcastic. Drinking 4 red bulls to play NW almost gave it away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • adamaantadamaant Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kaltoum wrote: »
    I don't know if OP is serious or being sarcastic. Drinking 4 red bulls to play NW almost gave it away.
    Not to mention doing Meth, lol.
  • faustasdmfaustasdm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    aedania84 wrote: »
    I think physical exchaustion does not describe it good enough. My concern is that the repeated small movements with the mouse will lead to wrist pain. Constant aiming with the mouse does seem like a bad design idea, and it will definately keep me from playing for hours. But maybe that's not such a bad thing. Means we can get to do other things than playing a video game ;)

If a game gives you stress you should not play it.
    I know people who play CS for hours straight. If FPS players can do this, i bet most human beings are capable of playing a game.

Also drinking so many energy drinks may be the sole reason of OP's exhaustion.
    Artificer.jpg
  • robbsssrobbsss Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    OP, if this is the case for you then simply play one of the other thousands of MMO's with the kind of combat you say you want. The reason im into Neverwinter and loving it is simply because it's so action oriented and intense. I love it and am simply tired of the whole "Click the mob you wanna fight, spam one button, win"

Dont go out trying to make NW just another MMO where ppl go "meh"

Thank you
  • infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    wow, the things people cry about these days
    "Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
  • mythrildragonmythrildragon Member Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    i find this game very exhausting also, in fact i use it as my form of excersize

fat_geek.jpg
    edited April 2013
    And a third time: HE IS TROLLING

thanks for your attention
  • thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    physically demanding?

I've struggled more with the rubberbanding and massive lag spikes than anything else.

mobs seem to follow my TR around while he's stealthed and spin around to face me even when i've stunned them. That there is physically straining on my fists when they smash my monitor.