test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PvP Is Hard

traroartraroar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
edited April 2013 in PvE Discussion
Man I really, really suck at PvP. Any general comments for absolute beginners would be awesome.

I guess I am just not a hard core gamer. I thought I was doing okay not getting killed in the main PvE play and level grind. I have only done PvP briefly in WoW. In Neverwinter, as a level 13, not only did my team lose but I came in last with 175 points. Basically I found I was surrounded by at least three enemies and was dead pretty quick. I must play it more! I want to be part of a team and take on battles I can win.
Post edited by traroar on

Comments

• theri123theri123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    What class?
  • traroartraroar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    TR. I do use my encounter powers but still got hammered.
  • incendi0incendi0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Do you earn Glory (pvp currency) anyway, for participating, or is it only from kills, winning, or what?
  • healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    traroar wrote: »
    Man I really, really suck at PvP. Any general comments for absolute beginners would be awesome.

I guess I am just not a hard core gamer. I thought I was doing okay not getting killed in the main PvE play and level grind. I have only done PvP briefly in WoW. In Neverwinter, as a level 13, not only did my team lose but I came in last with 175 points. Basically I found I was surrounded by at least three enemies and was dead pretty quick. I must play it more! I want to be part of a team and take on battles I can win.

Go for the eyes.
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • xratasxratas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Ok, short guide:
    Capturing obelisk is 300 points, kill is 50 points, assist is 25 points. Guess what you should be doing? Yes, capture.

Never try to fight enemy that outnumbers you, and break off from fight if you take more damage than your opponent.

There are healing potions on map, at the stairs to upper level, go get them every time after you get damage, never fight if more damaged than opponent, unless assisted by team mate.

For rogue: Prey the wounded, use stealth to break of from combat, use that teleport attack to get in range.

There you go, should be good start for PvP. With those tactics, I often managed to get 2-8 kills, lots of assists, finish in top three, and not die a single time. Now after level 20 most others play better too, so it's become much harder.
  • incendi0incendi0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    xratas wrote: »
    Ok, short guide:
    Capturing obelisk is 300 points, kill is 50 points, assist is 25 points. Guess what you should be doing? Yes, capture.
    Are those #'s the amount of Glory (the currency) that you earn, or just a point total for some other purpose? (I'm just interested in grinding out Glory as a currency).
  • xratasxratas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    incendi0 wrote: »
    Are those #'s the amount of Glory (the currency) that you earn, or just a point total for some other purpose? (I'm just interested in grinding out Glory as a currency).

Just match score. Hard to say how it calculates glory, as after match rewards seem bugged to me. I.e. it doesn't show XP every time, but gives it anyway. Also not sure if it gives glory every time or not, often doesn't show any, even after good game.

More match score seems to give better reward, and longer and closer games also give more rewards too. This could be, that you get more score in longer games ofcourse.
  • kdevillkdevill Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013

I haven't played nw yet but I know more than enough about general pvp and I've seen enough videos to understand mechanics.

1.) So as a rogue you're considered a "squishy class" or a "glass cannon." this means that you can put alot of hurt on the right targets but you can die relatively quickly as well.

2.)Always be aware of your surroundings and your positioning, By doing so you should never let yourself get in a 1v3 situation because that is not something you will walk away from as a beginner.

3.) Stick with your team for the first few matches, there will be opportune times when you get a bit more experienced to possibly split off but for now always stay with the rest of the team. As a rogue you want to wait for the rest of your team to engage before you step in to lay down the damage.

4.) Know your target. See that beefy guy with the shield? If there are other enemies around Never do anything to him. Do not touch him. Take a look at what the team has and base your targets on priority. See that guy behind beefy shield man healing him? This guy is always top priority. Not to mention he is generally the easiest kill for a rogue. use your stealth and sneak straight past the tank and take him out. (when you learn the class a little better you won't usually want to start off with stealth but use it when it's needed) Next is the guy with the crazy CC and AoE damage/ and second "squishiest" target, the control wizard. Be ready for him to chill and knock you back, learn to counter it, Even if he keeps you away well enough you're still helping your team since all his focus is on you and he isn't AoEing the rest of them anymore. After that you can go for anyone but always save the tank for last. There are always exceptions to this but you'll learn those later on, this is generally the path you'll want to stick to. When your with an organized team somebody will most likely be calling targets so pay attention to that when the time comes because teamwork is when it really gets fun.

5.) Always stay mobile. You should never just be standing there swinging daggers. A rogue is normally a swift class so you always want to be moving, dodging, stealthing, and all around mind****ing people. Move in for quick hits, back up for cooldowns/stealth meter, dodge strikes, stealth, destroy.

6.) Build yourself for PvP. PvE and PvP skills/traits are entirely different. Your going to want massive single target damage as well as a hard cc like stun or daze, you'll also want to help your mobility, stealth and ofc crit as much as you can. Build everything to this effect.

Just some basic tips on combat. Follow all of them correctly and you'll be top kills in no time. Obviously map control is your actual objective but it seems the other comments have that covered. Rogues do tend to be a higher skill tiered class though. You may want to start off with something more balanced and simple such a the GWF to get a good feel for pacing, heat-of-the-moment reactions and dealing with situations.
  • godkingazraelgodkingazrael Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    An incredibly vital thing to this game's pvp is to back cap.

Both maps have a long route around them that can let you walk over most of the fighting and sneak into the opponents base.

In many cases, you'll cap a point, and can then rejoin the rest of the fight.
    In other cases, one or two enemies will see you, and will follow you to the point.
    If one person follows than things stay even between the teams. If more than one follows however, the rest of your team now has a numerical advantage for the other two points. So even if you die, there is an excellent chance your team can claim one or both of the other points.

The worst thing you can do is to fling yourself at a point 1v3. There is very little chance of you accomplishing much before you are killed.

Also important! Fight on the point if you can. If a ranged class comes up and starts shooting you from outside the point, unless they are on the point with you, you are still capping the point.

Domination points win the match, not the kills.
  • zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The one "secret" to pvp while leveling is the weapon you hold.

Your weapon is the largest factor in your dps. As such, the difference between a level 20 weapon and a level 29 is huge. If you are getting demolished, it is most likely your weapon compared to theirs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • strawbyxstrawbyx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
    edited April 2013
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ojdd13XAKw

wtb lvl60s queuing for pvp...
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    xratas wrote: »
    Never try to fight enemy that outnumbers you, and break off from fight if you take more damage than your opponent.

Fighting a larger group of enemies is a good strategy. PvP right now is only 5vs5, and most people have tunnel vision, so they will chase you and try to kill you. The longer you last, the longer you bind at least two or more enemy players, which gives your team mates an opportunity to capture a different node. If you die five times but allowed your time to take nodes, it's a good deal.

I see too many people who are afraid of dying and hover around occupied nodes, or between nodes, and are afraid to attack. The maps are tiny, so always fight RIGHT AT the node. Don't chase after people.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • bejita231bejita231 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Level 13 was your problem

dont even go into pvp unless your within atleast 3 levels of the brackets cap, and always have a up to date weapon, that is if you care about losing

because thats exactly what all your oppenents are going to do, pvp is diffrent from pve as its highly more competetive and people will take any advantage they can get to win
    edited April 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    Fighting a larger group of enemies is a good strategy. PvP right now is only 5vs5, and most people have tunnel vision, so they will chase you and try to kill you. The longer you last, the longer you bind at least two or more enemy players, which gives your team mates an opportunity to capture a different node. If you die five times but allowed your time to take nodes, it's a good deal.

I see too many people who are afraid of dying and hover around occupied nodes, or between nodes, and are afraid to attack. The maps are tiny, so always fight RIGHT AT the node. Don't chase after people.

Pulling several people is certainly good idea, but fighting against them is not IMO. I play as rogue and GWF, and those are good at running away from fight and getting back in soon enough. Might be different with something much more survivable class though.

But I hate dying in games more than your average player, and generally only play no-respawn matches if possible, so my tactics are probably not the best around for this style of PvP. None the less, it seems they work well enough in this game too, at least well enough to improve OP's experience. : )

Fully agree about chasing, almost always bad idea.
  • valtrayvaltray Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    learn to save dodge roll for the right moments/can mean life or death, learn to predict what people are doing, getting used to dodging out immediately when another rogue flashsteps to you, 90% of the time they port behind you and use daze ability. line of sight, spec feets that make roll regenerate stealh meter. get in as many restealths as you can. use your daze ability while stealthed to cut the activation time by 50%, it lands 100% of the time. there is no way they can dodge the lockout this way.
  • yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013

Yeah its pretty hard in this game- in a good way.

Apart from some of the above comments I also recommend looking at how you synergize with other classes. For example TR and CW are a deadly combo- wait for CW's entangling grasp, teleport to that target and daze them, follow with a hard hitting encounter power and auto attack. The CW will probably also have frosted them at this point so its nearly a free kill. You have to adapt your playstyle depending on team composition.

Don't be afraid to die, but don't die by needlessly attacking a point 3vs1-just wait for your allies to come before engaging.

Learn what all the other classes can do; try playing them if you have the time.

Try and stealth and sneak past enemy to cap enemy point when they are busy fighting in mid.

Don't look at the scoreboard as a measure of your success. Like imivo said sometimes setting up wins for the team is more important than chasing kills.

Do lots of pvp.

Find a group of friends that like to pvp and play with them using voice chat; call out targets and focus fire.

I got top kills at level 10/11 so you should be fine even at low levels-although the special OP weapon we got at the start of the game probably helped here.
  • izatarizatar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,161 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The worst thing you can do is to fling yourself at a point 1v3.

Nope, this is totally wrong! The game was changed today in a subtle way that few seem to have noticed. I've been winning 1000:200 today all while getting no kills at all, by doing exactly this.
  • archanjo17041985archanjo17041985 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    im really enjoying pvp in this game and i am a pve kinda guy. love to go with pre-made or even random pug with my tank char. blocking the hell of everything and opening wave for the dps
    i7 3770k @ 4.0//HD 7950 WF3//16 GB ram Corsair @ 1600//Corsair 120 GB SSD x 2//Hyper Evo 212
  • dupiedupie Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I hope they are going to keep pvp balanced in the long run
  • inconsiderateinconsiderate Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 73
    edited April 2013
    Both maps have a long route around them that can let you walk over most of the fighting and sneak into the opponents base.

In many cases, you'll cap a point, and can then rejoin the rest of the fight.
    In other cases, one or two enemies will see you, and will follow you to the point.
    If one person follows than things stay even between the teams. If more than one follows however, the rest of your team now has a numerical advantage for the other two points. So even if you die, there is an excellent chance your team can claim one or both of the other points.

You just gave away our secrets. :P
  • yasha00yasha00 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 479 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    im really enjoying pvp in this game and i am a pve kinda guy. love to go with pre-made or even random pug with my tank char. blocking the hell of everything and opening wave for the dps

This.

A GF is awesome in group pvp, like an unstopable spearhead that drives a wedge into enemy lines. I love watching a GF/GWF advance supported by a healer and CW, really cool.