test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

April 30th - Will the servers cope?

pembspembs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So far only those in the 5-day or 3-day head start have had access to the game. From what I can tell, the launch has gone very smoothly so far. Of course, the number of players that stumped up cash to get a head start must be very small compared with the number of players that will begin for free on Tuesday.

On April 30th the flood gates open to anyone who is inclined to create an account and download the client. Will the servers cope?
Post edited by pembs on

Comments

• Options
    theskymootheskymoo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 50
    edited April 2013
    pembs wrote: »
    So far only only those in the 5-day or 3-day head start have had access to the game. From what I can tell, the launch has gone very smoothly so far. Of course, the number of players that stumped up cash to get a head start must be very small compared with the number of players that will begin for free on Tuesday.

On April 30th the flood gates open to anyone who is inclined to create an account and download the client. Will the servers cope?

In a word... No.

I would say that for the first few of hours of OB stay well clear for sure. It'll settle soon after though and we can return to normal. My guess, one crash. Can you hear that clicking? That's everyone spamming the client 'just in case' they can get in.
  • Options
    klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I suggest downloading the client today... and remember to disable "on demand patching" from the launcher's options.
  • Options
    justawitnessjustawitness Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    klangeddin wrote: »
    I suggest downloading the client today... and remember to disable "on demand patching" from the launcher's options.
    what does disabling "on demand patching" do?
    Not really sure what "on demand patching" is.

Face piles of trials with smiles.
  • Options
    rustybladesrustyblades Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 75
    edited April 2013
    Not so much the servers as players being affected the random tendency for "F" to pick a player and not a quest giver. I think the servers are fine atm. We all just need to escape the **** zones...
  • Options
    klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    what does disabling "on demand patching" do?
    Not really sure what "on demand patching" is.

Apparently, if you have it enabled you only download what is strictly necessary to start the game, and then download later (while playing) the additional content that is missing.
    If you disable it, you download everything up front. I disabled it today and had an additional 2 gigabytes to download.
  • Options
    justawitnessjustawitness Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    my friend is not gonna enjoy that, took him 2 days to download what was already there

Face piles of trials with smiles.
  • Options
    soapycleansoapyclean Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So he should turn it off when he's not doing anything online and turn it back on when he does.
  • Options
    v1ctor2kv1ctor2k Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I doubt it. We will probably see some crashes and hotfixes in the first few days after launch.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    My guess is that it depends on how many players they let on the servers, which is something they can throttle if needed. There will almost certainly be queues for non-founders, though.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!