test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

GF - Issue Holding Threat

cihuacoatlcihuacoatl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
edited April 2013 in PvE Discussion
I am level 30 atm and completely built to hold threat. I have every feat i can get to hold threat. However I find it very difficult to hold it on more than 1 mob. Even then it seems almost impossible to keep it of of clerics and DPS. Yes, sometimes I can though I have a feeling it is mostly only when I strip it from everyone else.

Any other GF having issues...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• wolfrain62wolfrain62 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    In the same boat as you. We need a good 200% threat increase.
  • strategiczstrategicz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    cihuacoatl wrote: »
    I am level 30 atm and completely built to hold threat. I have every feat i can get to hold threat. However I find it very difficult to hold it on more than 1 mob. Even then it seems almost impossible to keep it of of clerics and DPS. Yes, sometimes I can though I have a feeling it is mostly only when I strip it from everyone else.

Any other GF having issues...

You're not the only one having issues holding threat. I have heard several people with this exact complaint and I have noticed myself that it is a real chore trying to establish threat in this game. In my humble opinion, the issue probably lies with poor threat scaling and the lack of additional threat modifiers on general attack abilities. For example, cleave should be generating X% extra threat per swing in addition to the increase threat from improved mark. Our primary filler generate less threat than a normal damage dealers attack. Instead of using damage as the direct modifier to threat values, there should simply be a set amount of innate threat established with all attacks, and the value needs to be something that ensures the tank can stay ahead of high and overzealous damage dealers with good play.

I think the tanking aspect of the game is poorly designed and needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.
  • marcosvecchinemarcosvecchine Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    in lvl 35 the agroo problem is gone.
  • madstarrmadstarr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i did some at lvl 34 and under and it's a mess... <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> going all over the place... AOE taunt spamming every chance ... but that has a small range ... 1 on 1 i'm not having much of a problem but for multiple mobs it's chaos. Also finding mark not being too helpful. Would be nice if it for stay on target for X amount of seconds rather then disappearing
  • xhatchxhatch Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    GF's I've had the pleasure of grouping with so far don't seem to be able to hold threat/tank in a traditional MMO-sense. I, as a Devoted Cleric, have taken every threat reducing talent I could pick so far & still find I draw aggro a lot, especially from weak-but-high-dmg mobs like whelps. One of my aoe heals and they are all over me.

Not sure if this is a new approach to MMO's or if there is something wrong with aggro/threat mechanics in the game at the moment.
    sig2dz.jpg
    :cool:PLAY TO WIN:cool: |"A light in the darkness."
    |
  • gtoxgtox Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Considering that this is an action-based game, perhaps tanks are not intended to hold every mob in play. It seems more logical that a tank's job would be to target the highest damage mob and hold that one while everyone focuses down the smaller, less threatening enemies. With that in mind, aoe taunts and such would be considered a bonus.

As a 24 Cleric, you know I have taken my fair share of damage and at times it is very tough to survive (unless I cheat and use a pot.. hehe), but I think that this might be the strategic design. It forces the rest of the group to know what they are doing as well.. which is not to focus on the boss and instead take down the little guys first.

Since everyone can dodge out of dangerous situations, I do not think that this is to be played like a traditional MMO. If it was, then there would be no need to dodge.. ever.
  • zurkhonzurkhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 390 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    My main problem with threat is that I cannot get aggro off of the Man-at-Arms companions not matter how hard I try. :(
    "Beware the engineers of society, I say, who would make everyone in all the world equal. Opportunity should be equal, must be equal, but achievement must remain individual."

- Drizzt Do'Urden
    ― R.A. Salvatore
  • fredbakanfredbakan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 64
    edited April 2013
    wolfrain62 wrote: »
    In the same boat as you. We need a good 200% threat increase.

+1 signed.
  • arixar2arixar2 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    GF is the most obsolete class right now. He has to use the majority of skill slots for aggro skills and can't even hold the aggro.
    The block system ITSELF is utterly bad, it forces you to stay at one place or crawl while trying to move. In a fast paced encounter where adds do spawn like everywhere block mechanic hurts the class, not to mention it is only useful vs auto attacks and bad versus void zone like abilitys where blink and co simply outshine block by far.

When doing trash packs, you are not needed anyway, since you can aoe them down with no danger while the cleric keeps everyone at like 100% hp, you are only good at tanking the BOSS itself. Yet no one does need a gf for that, since you can just dodge his most dangerous attacks and counter heal the remaining standard hits with no problem.

So far the "Best" current setup for elite dungeons looks like:
    1-3 clerics
    1-3 cw's
    one melee

With 2 wizards you can pretty much aoe nuke and cc all trash packs or boss spawns. Only mandatory class needed is ONE cleric and ONE CW. The more the better. Worst part is i am playing a GF and i am very sad;(
  • deahamletdeahamlet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    strategicz wrote: »
    You're not the only one having issues holding threat. I have heard several people with this exact complaint and I have noticed myself that it is a real chore trying to establish threat in this game. In my humble opinion, the issue probably lies with poor threat scaling and the lack of additional threat modifiers on general attack abilities. For example, cleave should be generating X% extra threat per swing in addition to the increase threat from improved mark. Our primary filler generate less threat than a normal damage dealers attack. Instead of using damage as the direct modifier to threat values, there should simply be a set amount of innate threat established with all attacks, and the value needs to be something that ensures the tank can stay ahead of high and overzealous damage dealers with good play.

I think the tanking aspect of the game is poorly designed and needs to be addressed sooner rather than later.

I agree. I have found that the most a GF can hope for is to hold the boss still. GF just simply cannot pull mobs off of anyone. I'm not sure that you want to though... You really don't want those archers plinking away at your health, the dps just has to kill them. And I'm not sure how your stamina generation goes but do you want boss and 3-4 boss-like ads on you doing their red circles on you the entire time? You'd pretty much have to block the entire time.
  • ceonnynceonnyn Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    deahamlet wrote: »
    I agree. I have found that the most a GF can hope for is to hold the boss still. GF just simply cannot pull mobs off of anyone. I'm not sure that you want to though... You really don't want those archers plinking away at your health, the dps just has to kill them. And I'm not sure how your stamina generation goes but do you want boss and 3-4 boss-like ads on you doing their red circles on you the entire time? You'd pretty much have to block the entire time.

My threat sucks here too.

Lvl 26, everything is specced for +threat
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    they need dps buff up :) whit it they should be able to tank something
  • deahamletdeahamlet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    arixar2 wrote: »
    GF is the most obsolete class right now. He has to use the majority of skill slots for aggro skills and can't even hold the aggro.
    The block system ITSELF is utterly bad, it forces you to stay at one place or crawl while trying to move. In a fast paced encounter where adds do spawn like everywhere block mechanic hurts the class, not to mention it is only useful vs auto attacks and bad versus void zone like abilitys where blink and co simply outshine block by far.

When doing trash packs, you are not needed anyway, since you can aoe them down with no danger while the cleric keeps everyone at like 100% hp, you are only good at tanking the BOSS itself. Yet no one doesn't need a gf for that, since you can just dodge his most dangerous attacks and counter heal the remaining standard hits with no problem.

So far the "Best" current setup for elite dungeons looks like:
    1-3 clerics
    1-3 cw's
    one melee

With 2 wizards you can pretty much aoe nuke and cc all trash packs or boss spawns. Only mandatory class needed is ONE cleric and ONE CW. The more the better. Worst part is i am playing a GF and i am very sad;(

I'm sorry you are sad, but yes... I agree with your assessment... the more CW or DC in party, the better it goes simply because they can AOE hit the boss as well as the many **** ads. Parties with mostly melee are a pain.
  • symonhumbleuksymonhumbleuk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 89
    edited April 2013
    Not had any major issues apart from when a control wizard is in the group, the AOE moves they do just ruin entire threat, infact i think it wipes all the marks aswell.
    My Web: http://www.symonator.net
    Toons:
    New: CW Level 60
    GF = Level 60
    DC = Level 60
    TR = Level 60
    edited April 2013
    ceonnyn wrote: »
    My threat sucks here too.

Lvl 26, everything is specced for +threat

I have found most tanks had issues until I actually started running with my golem. Between my golem and the GF, the boss did not budge.
    I have been too afraid to run a dungeon without my golem ever since I've seen how well it works...
    edited April 2013
    Not had any major issues apart from when a control wizard is in the group, the AOE moves they do just ruin entire threat, infact i think it wipes all the marks aswell.

The AOEs kill ads and make it easier for everyone to stay alive though... I'd rather have 2 wizards and say to hell with threat and aggro than a GF that tells the wizard not to AOE the ads. (cleric myself)
  • veeiveei Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I started a discussion thread on this since I have seen the same issue. This is more of a tanking theory thread versus aggro, but related.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?158921-Discussion-Topic-How-do-you-view-tanking-in-NW
    Rigas Crimstone, Officer

"Perfecting the art of being a meatshield since 1998"

Banners of the Light
  • symonhumbleuksymonhumbleuk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 89
    edited April 2013
    The AOEs kill ads and make it easier for everyone to stay alive though... I'd rather have 2 wizards and say to hell with threat and aggro than a GF that tells the wizard not to AOE the ads. (cleric myself)

Yeah agreed, but at the same time, some players will do it where it's not needed, why push the ads away from the tank? (in some situtations)
    My Web: http://www.symonator.net
    Toons:
    New: CW Level 60
    GF = Level 60
    DC = Level 60
    TR = Level 60
    edited April 2013
    Yeah agreed, but at the same time, some players will do it where it's not needed, why push the ads away from the tank? (in some situtations)

^^^ Annoying.... x.x
    Rigas Crimstone, Officer

Banners of the Light
  • arktourosxarktourosx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I think I do alright but the system is pretty ****ed all around.

Tank companions are infuriating. You can spend all this time building up threat and they just take it in a few seconds meaning you wasted all that time.

Marked is a very, very poorly designed system. The whole mechanic is that while the Target is marked, you'll deal so much extra threat that it sticks on you. That is true and if I have something marked and I am attacking it I always regain threat on it (provided no Tank companions). The problem is that the way Mark leaves the target, basically when it hits you on a non blocked attack. This creates all sorts of huge headaches in mechanic and how it actually plays out.

Basically the scenario goes if you're taking on one big thing (such as a boss) you're alright if you can keep the target marked and keep your Guard meter up in between taunts. During Taunt you then use that period to build back up your Guard meter with your At-Will since it's forced to attack you and then Mark it again and then go back to fighting while Guarding. The extra threat powers and passives are more than enough to keep the target like this since you can just keep spam hitting the guy while blocking.

If you try to tank too much the Guard meter will break prematurely and you will lose Mark on your targets and you will lose them shortly after because you don't deal like any threat at all without Mark on the target. Tanking too many heavy hitter mobs like this will decimate your Guard as well (such as 2 Ogres or 2 Battle Wights etc) and you will lose threat shortly after because you will get hit normally and lose the Mark on the target.

The crappy part is there's virtually no way to really improve our Guard recovery and most methods that generate it only generate it at a very tiny amount a tick. That means once you do lose your Guard, there's a whole chunk of time where you're running around bashing with your shield while getting wailed on cause your Guard is basically gone. The Taunt generates almost no Guard meter back and other higher level tools are the same.

What they really need to do is make Mark be a static duration debuff (5s base, improvable somehow to 7.5-10s) that when you hit with an attack while Guarding will refresh the duration. This way you still have to Guard to keep the duration up but you aren't now totally boned once your Guard meter is gone to give yourself a few seconds in between to generate more Guard to keep tanking.
    nwsignature.jpg
  • selthrisselthris Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As a 34 GF, I'm having no problems at all holding aggro on single mobs or even entire rooms. If anything, if their intent IS for the GF to not hold aggro on multiple enemies, we'll need a significant nerf to threat. If you just cleave spam for threat, however, you'll never cause any threat at all. Learn to keep your marks up full time, and reapply when they drop, and threat is a breeze.
  • thewobeythewobey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    AS a 40+ GF, i have some issues with the system.

However first things first, STOP USING AOE KNOCKBACKS AND COMPLAIN ABOUT TANKS! (sorry its tough as it is, and people who spam aoe knockbacks anger me so very much...)

The mark mechanic is weird, and needs an overhaul, as a tank its my job to get hit, its also my job to know when to guard and not to guard. Sometimes you need to let the mob hit your normally so why should in that case my mark fall off? I just do not get that at all. I personally think they should change mark to be limited to 1 target, not fall off when you get damaged. So you can ensure keep at least 1 mob angry at you.

Also, guardians need to be able to cancel attacks mid swing, the whole, i start a swing so does the boss, now i cant block thing is a bit odd to me.
  • arixar2arixar2 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm sorry you are sad, but yes... I agree with your assessment... the more CW or DC in party, the better it goes simply because they can AOE hit the boss as well as the many **** ads. Parties with mostly melee are a pain.

Thanks that you agree on this sadness:D
    edited April 2013
    Has it been confirmed that knockbacks (yes VERY annoying) do a aggro reset?
    Rigas Crimstone, Officer

Banners of the Light
  • shadidioshadidio Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    thewobey wrote: »
    The mark mechanic is weird, and needs an overhaul, as a tank its my job to get hit, its also my job to know when to guard and not to guard. Sometimes you need to let the mob hit your normally so why should in that case my mark fall off? I just do not get that at all. I personally think they should change mark to be limited to 1 target, not fall off when you get damaged. So you can ensure keep at least 1 mob angry at you.

Also, guardians need to be able to cancel attacks mid swing, the whole, i start a swing so does the boss, now i cant block thing is a bit odd to me.

I would love to see this right here implemented.
  • fyranwulffyranwulf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 36
    edited April 2013
    I gave up on trying to keep them all pinned down, i generally go for the tougher mobs and use my tab skill and my shield bash on each of them. Let the little creeps do what they will, they don't generally cause too much trouble especially if dps is tearing through them.

The aoe taunt i use whenever it pops to try and keep my 'tougher' mobs locked in, i think with practice i will get it all down to a science, but for now that's the best advice i can give ya
    signature_zps124e0389.png
  • wilberjohnson123wilberjohnson123 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    zurkhon wrote: »
    My main problem with threat is that I cannot get aggro off of the Man-at-Arms companions not matter how hard I try. :(

+1 Before you even start the dungeon, tell anyone in your party to drop that stupid follower..