test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GWF: Soloing well at higher levels?

imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
edited April 2013 in PvE Discussion
Been leveling my GWF a bit (my current "main" is a 38+ CW), just so I can have an educated opinion, and in the teen levels, close to 20, he is doing fine in terms of killing speed (when solo questing). He is, however, an extreme potion sponge. Does this get better at some point? (Mostly interested in 35+ solo questing experiences, without complete reliance on the cleric companion.) I've put feat points into the HP and defensive feats so far and use the HP-giving strike on cooldown.

(This is not a thread for GWF complaints, please. I know the GWF needs some love, but I'm only looking for some first hand experiences concerning solo questing at medium to high levels.)
Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
Post edited by imivo on

Comments

• Options
    kartofflenkartofflen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 58
    edited April 2013
    avg about 20-25 minutes a lvl from 44 to 52 today so.
  • Options
    solthusx2solthusx2 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Played a GWF to level 38 so far; my potion usage does drop after about level 30 or so. Massive potion usage still occurs when I get aggro'ed on by too many mobs (very easy to do in certain parts of Helm's Hold).

However, I am mostly specced in the offensive feats, so a more defensive build might do better than me in terms of potion usage and reliance on the cleric companion.
  • Options
    someoneodsomeoneod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's not bad at higher levels, the only issue I'm having is I stuck with my cleric too long and now my other companions are all too low a level. I hope they unlock the companion upgrade tomes soon.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I alternate between two different companions (using one while the other is training) to keep their levels even. Using the acolyte of kelemvor and cleric disciple atm. The cleric's already at max level while the acolylte is level 17
  • Options
    wtfgivemeanamewtfgivemeaname Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If you're using a healing companion, then no, GWF is not a potion sponge (mine is level 24). Prior to getting companions, yes, it was the most potion-using class in the game, but only because it's damage is so far below everyone elses, that fights simply take longer, so you receive more damage, as the "heavy" armor you wear makes little difference so far in damage mitigation.

It doesn't seem bad in a vacuum until you start to level the rest of the classes, and then you suddenly realize that for what is supposed to be a dps class, you don't come remotely close to the dps of either a CW, and no one comes close to a TR. My TR, on the same group dungeon/skirmish content I leveled my GWF through, routinely pumps out 4-5X more damage. lol. I can't recall ever even using a potion prior to picking up a Companion, because between the extreme dps and CC, things simply didn't live long enough to hurt me enough to use one prior to finding a new campfire or finishing a quest and returning to the city.

Luckily, outside of pvp, the GWF relative gimpness doesn't particularly matter much, and I can generally overlook it due to..well...not being a namby pamby as I run around with a huge sword. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    As has been mentioned in many threads, the GWF tends to give a poor first impression (due to being rather weak at low levels) but starts getting better at around level 30. It does needs some buff/improvements but is still very much playable if you don't mind the additional challenge at low levels.
  • Options
    zzyatpwzzyatpw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 55
    edited April 2013
    the panther is extremely useless while soloing. use a healer companion and u'll see another story.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The panther has some issues that make it rather useless for everyone right now; but yes, best companions to use atm is a healer companion. The cleric is useful from the get go while the acolyte requires a bit more work to be useful.
  • Options
    vlyxnolvlyxnol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    At level 55 I still have little issues soloing.

I am still using the cleric hire, despite her being capped at rank 15, and as long as you are paying attention and keeping mobs off her she still does a reasonable job healing.

I find that I almost never need to use potions nor stop between fights on non bosses - on most bosses however I am fully reliant on potions to heal, the companion is just too stupid and weak to survive through a boss fight and her heals are too weak to deal with the incoming damage.

It is important however to be skilled at avoiding damage as much as possible with your dodging.
  • Options
    xorakx6xorakx6 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ive started to play my GWF and have reached level 16. I use the wolf pet and in those 16 levels so far i have used under 10 potions. Im playing solo also for those who were wondering if I was teamed with a cleric.

Power Layout
    Daily- Avalance of Steel
    Encounter- Takedown, Restoring Strike, Mighty Leap
    At-Will- Sure Strike, Reaping Strike(Not used very much)