test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Control Wizard is now a joke

steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in PvE Discussion
Or maybe you just nerfed all the mobs, because he feels stupidly overpowered now.

With all the new AoE feats and passives, the AoE repel shield and drop improvement (I have aprox 1500 GS at level 26), I just cleared Neverdeath like a breeze. During closed beta it was the most painful, repetitive and boring area since I kept dying and dying against the Wights when trying to do the Doomguide's quests. Today I did it in like 5 minutes.

Is it just me that thinks the CW was just fine and that he's currently a bit dumbed, or was the previous difficulty in some areas unintended?

I can't wait to get to my favorite part, the Ashmadai cults. Though sadly I'll probably clear it very quickly with this power-up.
Characters:
- Titania Silverblade, the Iron Rose of Myth Drannor (Lvl 60 GWF, Destroyer)
- Gwyneth, the Cowardly Cat Burglar Drowling (Lvl 60 TR, Saboteur)
- Lady Rowanne Firehair, Heartwarder of Sune (Lvl 33 DC)
- Satella, Sensate (LvL 44 CW, Renegade, Non-Active)

Check Steppenkat's Foundry Quest Reviews!
Post edited by steppenkat on

Comments

• Options
    bismar7bismar7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    You sir have convinced me to try try try try it again. I'll make it my pet and Foundry level it to 30 to see if its better than before.

Honestly I leveled one to 50 in the beta, wrote a ton of feedback on it, and then, when they "fixed" it, I logged on and it was even worse than before... You are the first person I've seen write anything that makes me want to test it
    26.jpg
  • Options
    steppenkatsteppenkat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I raised my CW until I was 40, I didn't went further because I wanted the last 20 levels to be a surprise. Hehe. :P

Perhaps it's just my playstyle, but I like challenging, witty classes that need to explore several alternatives to get the job done. That's why I never leveled my Trickster Rouge past 10 - she kept one-shotting mobs over and over. The GWF felt extremely clunky and dumb and I'm not a tank player (so no GF for me).

Now as a CW you may chose between having multiple skills or boost the ones you use. My Ray of Frost is still at rank 1 (never liked that skill and I dropped it as soon as I got Chilling Cloud). Repel has been always dumb and not worthy of being leveled, specially when now you have a Shield THAT works as a Tab Repel if you pop it. The thing about Repel is that it deals 0 damage and it isn't useful in dungeons since you end up pushing away the mobs from the tank, and it's a bit dumb to keep a skill in Tab just to prevent mobs to get into your face if you're not the main aggro taker. The shield provides a wonderful alternative for both solo play and instanced PvE.

Though the downside is that the CW has currently too much synergy, hence why he feels stronger. I just one-shot whole creep waves with just a Chill Strike Tab + Conduit of Ice Combo. Entangling Force + Shield if they get too close, keep kiting, repeat until they die.
    Characters:

• Options
    tyler23434tyler23434 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    CW is ok but it is still no where near the level rouges are at. You have to keep that in mind
  • Options
    aetherchargeaethercharge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 359 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    You seriously need to get past level 26 before complaining that a class is overpowered. Everything changes at high levels. I'm not judging CWs one way or the other here but level 26 is NO point of reference for any class.
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    steppenkat wrote: »
    I raised my CW until I was 40, I didn't went further because I wanted the last 20 levels to be a surprise. Hehe. :P

Perhaps it's just my playstyle, but I like challenging, witty classes that need to explore several alternatives to get the job done. That's why I never leveled my Trickster Rouge past 10 - she kept one-shotting mobs over and over. The GWF felt extremely clunky and dumb and I'm not a tank player (so no GF for me).

Now as a CW you may chose between having multiple skills or boost the ones you use. My Ray of Frost is still at rank 1 (never liked that skill and I dropped it as soon as I got Chilling Cloud). Repel has been always dumb and not worthy of being leveled, specially when now you have a Shield THAT works as a Tab Repel if you pop it. The thing about Repel is that it deals 0 damage and it isn't useful in dungeons since you end up pushing away the mobs from the tank, and it's a bit dumb to keep a skill in Tab just to prevent mobs to get into your face if you're not the main aggro taker. The shield provides a wonderful alternative for both solo play and instanced PvE.

Though the downside is that the CW has currently too much synergy, hence why he feels stronger. I just one-shot whole creep waves with just a Chill Strike Tab + Conduit of Ice Combo. Entangling Force + Shield if they get too close, keep kiting, repeat until they die.

Sounds like you need to play the Great Potion-Chugging Warrior.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    You seriously need to get past level 26 before complaining that a class is overpowered. Everything changes at high levels. I'm not judging CWs one way or the other here but level 26 is NO point of reference for any class.

I'm actually comparing the previous earlygame of the CW with her current earlygame, if you read my post. Not saying that she's better endgame, only that grinding is way easier than before.

I literally had 40 potions on my pocket. I only started using them by level 17.
    Characters:

• Options
    aetherchargeaethercharge Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 359 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I'm actually comparing the previous earlygame of the CW with her current earlygame, if you read my post. Not saying that she's better endgame, only that grinding is way easier than before.

I literally had 40 potions on my pocket. I only started using them by level 17.

I did read your post and I respect that that that's what you're basing your concerns upon. However, levelling experience play second fiddle to end game balance in most games. Give it a chance, the later levels feel different than the introductory levels in this regard.
  • Options
    elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't have a frame of reference as far as power goes since I wasn't in the beta, but at 37 I rarely had to use any potions solo (ran with the panther til about 25, been using the cleric since) though I have in groups because of the amount of stuff pulled I end up agroing. Having a lot of fun with it, but don't feel like I'm overpowered from a damage perspective - trickster rogues almost always outdamage me in groups.
  • Options
    abaddonxkabaddonxk Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    During closed beta it was the most painful, repetitive and boring area since I kept dying and dying against the Wights when trying to do the Doomguide's quests. Today I did it in like 5 minutes.

I never had a problem with those in the betas... Were you using the same powers this time? The game has honestly been quite easy from the start; rather than the previous difficulty in some areas being unintended, I'm inclined to think you weren't doing very well previously and have since improved in skill.

If they have made CW significantly stronger, I'll probably not play it. I was already killing all minions in a couple seconds (Chill Strike ftw), and elites can be perma-CC'ed, so...
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    In the 40s, my CW is using potions frequently if I use a striker companion. Mini bosses are easy because many of them can be chain-cc'ed, but trash groups increasingly often hurt (those with two stronger mobs in them).
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    soanvalckesoanvalcke Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    In the Pirate cove area, mobs are starting to hit harder now if I'm not careful. Two or three of them can easily knock me down to half health. Luckily the AOE bonus feats + Sudden Storm means I can easily take them out, but I did notice that they hit harder now. I'm using the tank companion since kitty sucks, but I may purchase the cat and try it out. I've heard the Phoenix pet (AOE attacks) is really good, and it would synergize well with the CW.
  • Options
    thrightonthrighton Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Have you been using your Founder companion to level? Keep in mind that during the Beta Weekends you couldn't start with a companion, and the companion definitely makes leveling easier.
  • Options
    notdrizztnotdrizzt Member Posts: 123 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013

Great point. I have no idea why anyone complains about a class being OP or UP pre level cap.

As a level 47 warrior I am breezing through everything thanks to the short CD on pots. Nothing can kill me. I have not died yet, outside of an instance and PvP that is.
  • Options
    monarrchmonarrch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 164 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    You haven't played a Rogue then. They hit harder and last longer in fights. My CW goes down like a cheap date in PVP. If anything I think CWs should get a damage buff considering how fragile they are.
  • Options
    abluefishabluefish Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    monarrch wrote: »
    You haven't played a Rogue then. They hit harder and last longer in fights. My CW goes down like a cheap date in PVP. If anything I think CWs should get a damage buff considering how fragile they are.

idk about rogues (from playing one); but i can relate to the quickness of death in pvp as a cw.
  • Options
    streethawkestreethawke Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Meh, Wizards feel comfortable in normal fights. With 3 LTs (strongs) it gets... tricky, but no single fight am I ever worried about dying.

Of course the same holds true with every class out there.
    b_ro.png
    When you want to break the mold

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?