test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Just clone Neverwinter Nights aurora toolset and be done with it.

brakkish1brakkish1 Member, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in The Foundry
After reading countless wishes and "add this" type threads, it's becoming more evident that implementing requests and wishes will result in what's already been done and worked (still working) for more than a decade.

Just make the foundry a working clone of the aurora toolset developers were given in Neverwinter Nights, and call it good. (of course with today's graphics, models and assets)
Post edited by brakkish1 on

Comments

• Options
    fenbenfenben Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You make it sound like an intern could whip this up in a few minutes.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    You make it sound like an intern could whip this up in a few minutes.
    It wasn't because it "was too hard to do", or required some scripting magic they didn't possess.
    They didn't clone it because they didn't want to. Perhaps, after seeing the feedback from a lot of folks, they might rethink that.
  • Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    They didn't clone it because the NWN toolset is not made for MMO content, it requires client uploads for every custom map and every player would have to download the custom map before they could play it.

It's not a matter of wanting to, it's a matter of efficiency and making it much easier for the player to jump in and play rather than download files, install them and making sure all your friends have the same files if you want to do a group.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have the same amount of freedom as the aurora gave us, but it's not practical nor efficient.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hey guys. I know the game is, like done, and all. But can you make this game like that other game. Simply cause that other game was so cool way back when, but i'm not playing it anymore.

Still if you could, that would be awesome.
  • Options
    echelonmindtrickechelonmindtrick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've messed with the NWN toolset and the subsequent NWN 2 toolset and I have to say all of the drama that this toolset is getting is unwaranted. You can't do some things which is unfortunate, but I've found that most of the problems I've run into were easily fixed by either using my brain and thinking of a way to make it happen without access to a direct solution or by simply doing a non-important re-write so that I can get to the same place in my storyline without passing through the mechanic that the toolset doesn't offer.

So far I'm having an excellent time and the editor, I'm able to make awesome content without making very many sacrifices and the toolset is about ten times more stable than either of the old toolsets.
    Currently Working On: ---
    Progress: ---

Completed Quests:
    The Tidecallers: "Wavehelm Keep"

• Options
    aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've messed with the NWN toolset and the subsequent NWN 2 toolset and I have to say all of the drama that this toolset is getting is unwaranted. You can't do some things which is unfortunate, but I've found that most of the problems I've run into were easily fixed by either using my brain and thinking of a way to make it happen without access to a direct solution or by simply doing a non-important re-write so that I can get to the same place in my storyline without passing through the mechanic that the toolset doesn't offer.

So far I'm having an excellent time and the editor, I'm able to make awesome content without making very many sacrifices and the toolset is about ten times more stable than either of the old toolsets.
    Can't find anything in this to disagree with. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    chili1179 wrote: »
    They didn't clone it because the NWN toolset is not made for MMO content, it requires client uploads for every custom map and every player would have to download the custom map before they could play it.
    This is untrue. Perhaps you were thinking of NWN2. My post was regarding NWN
    NWN did not require a player to download the walkmesh/map, as NWN2 did.
  • Options
    hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    brakkish1 wrote: »
    This is untrue. Perhaps you were thinking of NWN2. My post was regarding NWN
    NWN did not require a player to download the walkmesh/map, as NWN2 did.

The Aurora toolset was essentially the same toolset Bioware used to create the entire game. It was already there. They did not just create this awesome toolset from scratch so that we could make content. They made it from scratch so they could make their own game, then gave us a modified version.

The Foundry was designed from scratch for efficient server based functionality, as opposed to having to have a client based toolset, which set makes it harder to keep unwated hacks and exploits from being introduced.
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
  • Options
    raist31raist31 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I would love to see the Foundry become like the Aurora toolset. I really hope they do decide to give the community this at some point. They have to know that almost everyone wants this. And Im pretty sure they could make a killing off releasing it and charging for it in some way. I know Id be willing to pay for the ability to make our own PW server.