test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Flickering Graphics!

zepharozepharo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
i got an graphic issue when opening my character sheet and then switching to the power tab 3 of the abilities are flashing and has been doing so since the third beta. Any solution on this issue? i have Geforce GPU and have downloaded the latest Beta driver for it but still same problem.
Post edited by zepharo on

Comments

• xxhumorxxxxhumorxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0
    edited April 2013
    Go into your Nvidia settings, and turn on V-Sync always enabled.

This "usually" fixes any screen tearing problems. Though this limits your FPS, you probably shouldn't see anymore screen tearing, of flickering issues.

Of course, this is based on mere guesses here, it's a worth a shot though.

It's not a problem with your side, it's something that was messed up in the script, like you've already noticed that happened and only happened during Beta 3, and so on.

Hope this solves your problem.
  • hithereyouhithereyou Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    zepharo wrote: »
    i got an graphic issue when opening my character sheet and then switching to the power tab 3 of the abilities are flashing and has been doing so since the third beta. Any solution on this issue? i have Geforce GPU and have downloaded the latest Beta driver for it but still same problem.

Please post a video. You can capture it with FRAPS, for example.

Dave
  • malisentmalisent Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have the same problem. I don't have Fraps installed right now to provide a video. It appears that under the first section of Combat Powers the tree is not rendering correctly so the powers are stacked on top of one another causing them to flicker.
  • jezathforumjezathforum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I also get odd texture flickering here and there sometimes with the level bar while vendor screen is up or reward screen. ill try do fraps for it soon

dx10
    nvidia gtx295
    8gb mem
    i7 920
    samsung t220 @ 60hz with 1650x1080 native
    latest whql drivers with everything set past max in advanced.

enjin-393296-13641734601093802493-gray.png
    "There are two things that drive technology forward in a huge leap in this world, one is war and one is business..."-- Timothy Wade 2012
    "If you wish to join a guild, that will be running a guild foundry RP campaign then come take a look at [BLOOD]"
  • xsequentialxxsequentialx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Try setting it to full screen rather than windowed maximized. That mainly resolved it for me although I do get it still on occasion (before it was every time though)
  • akazulolakazulol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    also have this flickering issue, tried multiple different settings and nothing
  • berobadberobad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Try changing the UI scale
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Member Posts: 2,073 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Here's a video of the issue
    It flickers faster than the video capture can capture it.
    Say that seven times fast.
  • tinypyrotinypyro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I am having this exact same issue with the top portion of the "powers" window. Massive flickering and tearing. Been that way since the new skill system was implemented. I have found that I can make it stop by dragging the window a few inches across the screen.

Also having a similar issue with the score board at the end of skirmishes/dungeons. I can read character names fine, but the actual numbers literally fly off the right side of my screen and disappear. Only to reappear and do the same thing. Over and over.

Is there a file repair feature? I haven't seen one on the launcher. Only the option to check comparability.
  • baconnaisebaconnaise Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tinypyro wrote: »
    I am having this exact same issue with the top portion of the "powers" window. Massive flickering and tearing. Been that way since the new skill system was implemented. I have found that I can make it stop by dragging the window a few inches across the screen.

Also having a similar issue with the score board at the end of skirmishes/dungeons. I can read character names fine, but the actual numbers literally fly off the right side of my screen and disappear. Only to reappear and do the same thing. Over and over.

Is there a file repair feature? I haven't seen one on the launcher. Only the option to check comparability.

I have this problem now with the powers screen flickering which wasn't happening prior to the 5/1 patch. THe score board for dungeons and skirmishes the numbers always flew off to the right and I could read names just like the person here described even prior to the 5/1 patch.

Core i5 @4.2
    16GB ram
    Sapphire HD 7950
    Dual ocz sata3 sata drives striped for install folder

Changes I've tried. Vsync on/off turning it on makes it worse. UI Scaled from 1.0 through 1.35 no change. Various adjustments via defaults no change. This happens to both ATI/Nvidia users apparently.

Update

Apparently after restarting the client twice something changed because now when I revert the UI scale from 1.0 to any number apply it then revert it back to 1.0 it corrects the issue on my end on the powers screen. I'll queue up for a dungeon and see if the scores are fixed.

Update 2

Scores appear correctly after doing the above mentioned changes. FYI I have teh above system and two other systems one with a GTX460 and a GTX465 SC. All of them are i5 based with 8GB or more ram. The phenom 965 black system with a low end radeon card didn't have these issues but has older drivers (haven't updated them) and lower settings.
  • eq2imoraeq2imora Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    While we're on flickering graphics, any plan on figuring out/fixing the "my textures go green" thing?

Turn the camera, patches of texture on random things will flash green and then go back to normal. Usually things like objects on tables or rugs or the table itself.
  • kenzziikenzzii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Changing your UI scale works i had it on 0,92 and it started flickering, did it back to 1,0 and it was normal again :)
    thanks for the tip !
  • ghoulic123ghoulic123 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    eq2imora wrote: »
    While we're on flickering graphics, any plan on figuring out/fixing the "my textures go green" thing?

Turn the camera, patches of texture on random things will flash green and then go back to normal. Usually things like objects on tables or rugs or the table itself.

I have something similar, not just green though. Flickers for a brief second, can happen in a lot of different areas.
  • theyuttytheyutty Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've experiencing this too, scale is at 115 & running direct x 11beta

**setting scale back to 113 fixed it
  • dreadedx2013dreadedx2013 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've been having the same problem. After a lot of fiddling about I came here and found this thread. I tried altering the UI scale and so far it works. Though to start with it didn't. But after moving it about some more it seems to have settled. For how long though I don't know. I am not using VSYNC and I don't really want to. This is a clip of what I was getting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yz0x3udjvw
  • ethion1ethion1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    malisent wrote: »
    I have the same problem. I don't have Fraps installed right now to provide a video. It appears that under the first section of Combat Powers the tree is not rendering correctly so the powers are stacked on top of one another causing them to flicker.
    I have this same problem on all my characters. It is the first section of powers you put points into from lvl 1 - 10. I see two rows of powers both encounter and daily powers and they are overlapping. I think it should be 3 rows but or some reason I have it squished into 2. This makes it somewhat hard to select the appropriate powers when you want to upgrade them.

It might have something to do with scaling the UI. I think when I first started playing it didn't have this problem but after I started tweaking my settings it started. Scaling seems like the one that is likely an issue. I can play with it. Scaling it back from 1.30 to 1.00 didn't fix it. I did find that if I run the game windowed the problem corrects itself.

I'm a control wizard. Normally under combat powers I have 3 rows.

Magic Missile, Ray of Frost, Chill Strike
    Ice Storm, Orb of Imposition

If I make the screen larger than the default windowed size the flickering starts. Capaturing an animation of the flickering what is happening is that Chill Strike is jumping between the top line and the second line. When it jumps to the second line the other two powers move over.

So it is becoming

Magic Missile, Ray of Frost
    Chill Strike, Ice Storm, Orb of Imposition

So chill strike, ice storm, orb of imposition all flicker as they are switching back an forth quickly.

I have an nvidia GTX 580. driver 311.06
    I run at 1920x1200

When I run the game in windowed mode making the window full size vertically doesn't cause the flickering. When I make the window wider it doesn't start flickering till the window is around 70-80% of max size. Making my desktop resolution 1600x1200 makes the problem stop. Making the game full screen and setting the resolution in game to 1600x1200 also fixes the problem. Going back to 1920x1200.

setting resolution to 1600x1200 the automatic aspect ratio doesn't work properly. Going to 1600x1024 works ok also and the aspect is good.

1900x1080 also flickers.
    1768x996 also flickers

so it looks like anything over 1680 horizontal causes the flicking of the powers.

Also I'll note that the lvl 20 line where it says you can unlock lvl 3 in previous powers shows up off he edge of the UI as there are 4 things listed in one row. This doesn't really fit on the UI so the first and fourth options are clipped on the edges. These graphical issues however are due to the UI scaling which doesn't look like it is properly scaling fonts.

I also found if I made the UI scaling 1.45 instead of 1.3 at my normal resolution the flickering goes away. Although the scaling of the powers in the UI is still not correct. I set my UI scale to 1.32 and the flickering is gone with everything back to max window 1900x1200 resolution.