test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Notice] - Shards of Selune Campaign No Longer Exists

gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
edited April 2013 in The Foundry
Due to hostile intent of devs towards my sandbox quests, I have eventually decided to kill the Shards of Selune Project.

I will also not be working on any manuals anymore.

I will however keep making sandbox quests even in the most hostile of conditions created intentionally for such quests for the players who like those quests.

I have tried my best after many of my quests have been disabled by the devs update and their constant catering to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> themepark quests.

Sorry to the players who liked it, but when devs start to tie you up on author side as well as player side - it starts to become increasingly difficult to do anything you would end up liking.
Post edited by gillrmn on

Comments

• Options
    fongadorfongador Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 264 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I can sympathize with your frustration but kind of seems like you're over reacting a tad. Just my two copper...
  • Options
    aggropotatoaggropotato Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 114 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Pls continue work on the manuals! They are a vital resource to DMs!
    JtuEMvw.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I have already explained the reasons [post=2205221]here[/post]. There was no other choice. And I was not joking, I was resolved for that much.

I already compromised on my vision too much. Now I can freely follow my vision irrespective of the attempts of devs to dictate it.
  • Options
    tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Pls continue work on the manuals! They are a vital resource to DMs!

I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's going to be a setback, but others will take up the call and write another manual. :)
  • Options
    zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    I have already explained the reasons [post=2205221]here[/post]

That's why? I thought it was the rating system that puts the most played at the top. And since most people like themepark, that's what gets to the top. And apparently stays there.
  • Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Holy melodrama batman.

Seriously, this whole crusade you have been on is a bit overboard for a video game. Pulling your quest, accusations of a conspiracy!?

It's just a video game, a free one at that, a free one that allows it's players to play with their creation toys and bring something to life from the deepest recesses of their imagination. No one is forbidding you from creating whatever you want, or forcing you to create a certain genre of quest.

Jebus man, you're ranting on and on over trivial bullsh*t, create a quest that you want, how you want, and stop acting like your civil rights are being infringed on.

It's a video game.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    chili1179 wrote: »
    Holy melodrama batman.

Seriously, this whole crusade you have been on is a bit overboard for a video game. Pulling your quest, accusations of a conspiracy!?

It's just a video game, a free one at that, a free one that allows it's players to play with their creation toys and bring something to life from the deepest recesses of their imagination. No one is forbidding you from creating whatever you want, or forcing you to create a certain genre of quest.

Jebus man, you're ranting on and on over trivial bullsh*t, create a quest that you want, how you want, and stop acting like your civil rights are being infringed on.

It's a video game.

I hope you read the post. First of all, the two issues don't have anything to do with ratings. Ratings are separate and a very minor issue.

The point is very clearly stated.

1. Why were the budget limits implemented incorrectly to facilitate certain kind of quest thus stopping authors from making one kind of quests.

2. Why is the reward system implemented incorrectly so that on the player side also only certain kind of quests are played.

If you have not read the post you can read it here:-
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?153481-How-the-new-15-min-reward-system-trashed-my-non-linear-quest&p=2205221&viewfull=1#post2205221

Thanks.
  • Options
    bachus1234bachus1234 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 79
    edited April 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Due to hostile intent of devs towards my sandbox quests, I have eventually decided to kill the Shards of Selune Project.

I will also not be working on any manuals anymore.

I will however keep making sandbox quests even in the most hostile of conditions created intentionally for such quests for the players who like those quests.

I have tried my best after many of my quests have been disabled by the devs update and their constant catering to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> themepark quests.

Sorry to the players who liked it, but when devs start to tie you up on author side as well as player side - it starts to become increasingly difficult to do anything you would end up liking.
    I really feel sory for you, you have earned my respect in the past, but you have thrown it out of the window today by reacting like a little spoiled child.

Makes me wonder why?

This attitude will get you nowhere, not with this game, and not in real life. There is a lesson to be learned here for everyone, as it is sad to see so many hours of great work get lost..
  • Options
    horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    That didn't take long to sour.

Here is my stance on User Created Content in a MMO, until they are an undisputed success, I leave hype/potential at the door and let results speak for themselves first and second. What I'm saying is a lot of people put their hopes on a feature that still hasn't carried a successful mmo yet. Until it does, I'm not banking on it carrying a game. "Yet" being the key word.
  • Options
    bachus1234bachus1234 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 79
    edited April 2013
    That didn't take long to sour.

Here is my stance on User Created Content in a MMO, until they are an undisputed success, I leave hype/potential at the door and let results speak for themselves first and second. What I'm saying is a lot of people put their hopes on a feature that still hasn't carried a successful mmo yet. Until it does, I'm not banking on it carrying a game. "Yet" being the key word.

Nice one, one incident and you allready start generalising, you would make a hell of a congressman...
  • Options
    horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    bachus1234 wrote: »
    Nice one, one incident and you allready start generalising, you would make a hell of a congressman...

How do you know I'm not one already? It's not like we do real work for a living.

But I've been saying this about user content in mmo's, why? Because I feel it's the truth in the matter. This will be like the 4thn MMO with this ability, it sounds omg spectacular in theory, but so far it's been 100's to wad through, many exploitative, many buggy, nothing really better then the standard quest story or layout wise. So instead of acting like I was born last night for the 1000th time, I've decided to have something prove itself first. Why not? Why not just be dry and let it earn the praise is deserves? Why set oneself up for another disappointment. That said, I hope it's fabulous, really. But it has to be it, to be it, me dreaming it doesn't count.

Gil's post is about how it is being restrictive, which is all part of steering it back to the same ole same ole.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    @Gillrmn...

Sad to see you upset enough to unpublish your awesome work. I am not here to judge you or your actions, but I am commenting to simply say: I've read the other thread (both, actually: the one about adjusted ratings and the one about the 15-minute time requirement to make eligible).

Here is why I am commenting: I am hazy at best, completely unclear or better-phrased: clueless at worst; on what it is you're stating about the 15-minute (down from 20-minute) "eligibility threshold" for quests. Here is how I see it, and the portion I don't understand in your explanations:

I see it as a plus: it allows quests to more easily make eligibility, especially with the new Greycloak super weapons in the first week. I don't know if the 15-Minute threshold is temporary or not (I kind of hope it is - just to get UGC boosted into eligibility for opening or sumfin).

Where I'm hazy is this: *how* does this cause players to lean toward on-the-rails type quests over sandboxed quests? The Foundry Budgets on clean-slate exterior maps I can understand - but the 15-minute eligibility thing I just don't get.

I say "hazy" because I suspect you mean that the 15 minute "hack-n-slash" quests will gain favor in play counts and ratings because people will want to complete Foundry Dailies as quickly as possible. That may be true, but remember this: those players are not your target audience. The players who will enjoy your type of quest design don't care about 15 minute hack-n-slash - they want story and lore.

This is why the "Subscribe" feature is outstanding. Your target audience who find you will subscribe to you. Those are the ones you should care about. Not the cheap-thrills crowd.

Now, if I have your argument correct, then "I get it". If I don't then I apologize for just not understanding your argument. You have been a long time and highly respected Foundry author. I'm sorry to see you get upset enough to take such a drastic action. I am hopeful you will reconsider after you've taken a break for a time. You've worked hard on this stuff, a vacation is well-deserved!
  • Options
    ravenhawk1ravenhawk1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    @Gillrmn,

This is just a personal response to say thank you for your manuals and for Shards of Selune. Your work gave me a great deal of pleasure and I'm sorry to see it go.
  • Options
    maddllamamaddllama Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There are a lot of limitations put on the foundry authors through the tools given, but you have to find ways to work around those limitations to make your quest shine.

Mine is heavy on lore and story, but once the story part is done there is plenty of combat, not too much, but just enough. Out of 4K reviews, 1K hate it, or just dislike it, or just have something negative to say. So my quests do not please a 1/4 of the population. So be it... you take it for what it is as you will NEVER please everyone. IF you let the negatives bring you down, you will never make anything.

As for the tools we are given, I said above that you have to work with what you are given. I have done that and thoroughly enjoyed doing this. Hate to see you react this way as you taught me a lot as a Silverstar.

In fact, you were the first one who told me to use my imagination to work around the limitations of the Foundry. Deal with the limitations you have now to create what you want. You put a lot of work into something to just throw it out the window like that.
    5444373MbVxa.png
    @kmhknight

My campaign: The Madness Plague.
    My quest: Blacklake Gold

My guild: "The Older" Age 30+, Casual