test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Inability to Zoom Except in Inspect Mode

cristianoflcristianofl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I have never seen an MMO before that did not let you adjust your camera zoom level before. Is there a particular reason this was done with Neverwinter? The camera is zoomed out a bit far for my tastes and I would love to zoom in slightly, but you can't except in inspect mode. Am I missing something?
Post edited by cristianofl on

Comments

• Options
    corporation01corporation01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I absolutely agree with this. Strange that its not an option, its in every MMO and most SP RPGs I have played.
  • Options
    direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Agreed, it's an absolutely baffling mechanic, and serves no purpose. The wheel doesn't even do anything outside of that mode. Very annoying.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • Options
    jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This was a hot debate in the beta forums.
    You might find something by using google.
    Site:nw-forums.perfectworld.com no zoom in
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
  • Options
    tinypyrotinypyro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Some of us have been asking about this since BWE1. There have been several threads about this issue, and as far as I know there hasn't been any notable response about it from Cryptic other than "press B for inspect mode". They are strangely silent on this topic. I would love to post further opinion on the issue, but after posting on so many threads about it already I feel like I am beating a dead horse.
  • Options
    corporation01corporation01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jetah wrote: »
    This was a hot debate in the beta forums.
    You might find something by using google.
    Site:nw-forums.perfectworld.com no zoom in

What was the debate 'for' having the zoom option disabled and therefore locked in place? I can't think of a reason why.
  • Options
    goldenavarielgoldenavariel Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    No zoom is extremely irritating. I can't understand why it was done that way.

Then again, I don't understand why the mouse is locked as targeting/steering fps-style controls anyway so maybe it's just me.
  • Options
    suparstarxsuparstarx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah it's irritating but not something I'm going to lose sleep over. Hopefully it gets patched in the future maybe.
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Closest reason we got was that it was an immersion thing. I personally think it sucks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    crimsonsky32crimsonsky32 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is something I am really hoping gets changed. While playing mmos I really like to zoom in close to my character so I can really see the details on my character and npcs during combat. I absolutely hate being zoomed so far out to where I can not see things very well. I do not see why we have to have an inspect mode just to get a good look at our characters or npcs. I mentioned in another thread that Tera's controls are very similar and they have the ability to zoom in and out without any problems. Do not see any reason why we could not have this, as for me personally it is way more immersive to be zoomed in close to my character so I can see the action happening around me.
  • Options
    neppanaattorineppanaattori Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    pilf3r wrote: »
    Closest reason we got was that it was an immersion thing. I personally think it sucks.

Yeah, how immersed can you get in a corridor and how can a zoom make that any less immersive...
  • Options
    wekdkwekdk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is my biggest issue too.

I want to zoom in, as much as i want. We need this feature now...
  • Options
    moodaymooday Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 54
    edited April 2013
    The way that the aiming reticule and the FoV interact is likely hard coded. If you changed the camera (and this the position on the crosshair), if might bea problem. Not sure though. In most 3rd person action games you can't zoom out: think God of War and mass effect.
  • Options
    emrendillemrendill Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 70
    edited April 2013
    mooday wrote: »
    The way that the aiming reticule and the FoV interact is likely hard coded. If you changed the camera (and this the position on the crosshair), if might bea problem. Not sure though. In most 3rd person action games you can't zoom out: think God of War and mass effect.

You could zoom out in Tera which also uses action combat system.
  • Options
    moodaymooday Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 54
    edited April 2013
    emrendill wrote: »
    You could zoom out in Tera which also uses action combat system.

True! But there may be an engine thing preventing them from letting us do it now. Our maybe there is no good reason not to have it in. Just speculation on why a simple feature hasn't been added yet hehe
  • Options
    crimsonsky32crimsonsky32 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    mooday wrote: »
    True! But there may be an engine thing preventing them from letting us do it now. Our maybe there is no good reason not to have it in. Just speculation on why a simple feature hasn't been added yet hehe

Not sure how similar the coding is between Star trek online and Neverwinter, but in Star Trek online you can enter shooter mode which is basically the crosshair targeting system, and you are able to zoom in and out while the crosshair is active. So I really do not know why they didn't just carry it over to Neverwinter as well. I just really hope they add it in because playing zoomed so far out is really bothering me.
This discussion has been closed.