test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

POLL: Server-Wide General Chat?

inconsiderateinconsiderate Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 73
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I was very surprised to find that Neverwinter does not have a server-wide (General) chat. I personally find it very frustrating when a Zone chat is interrupted by entering a dungeon/pvp/etc. I'm sure that there will be people who disagree with me, but General chat - in my opinion - helps to foster a greater sense of community.

I think that not having this function is detrimental to the community at large (and if folks don't want to see it due to trolls or whatnot, they can always turn that channel off).

Please sound off with your thoughts, for or against.
Post edited by inconsiderate on

Comments

• Options
    lordxmongooselordxmongoose Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Its a must, especially after the initial rush for launch then the downsizing to follow. Will seem like a ghost town. And its better to have it available to all and just provide the tools to filter from their.

-Mongoose
  • Options
    solmyr14solmyr14 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited April 2013
    Maybe as a chat channel option, but not to replace the current general chat.
  • Options
    trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The last thing any game needs is a chat channel where 10,000 concurrent players can all go nuts. The spam would be horrible and the lag would be intolerable. There are many reasons why chat channels are divided into zones in almost every MMO out there.

One of the big reasons is to make it harder for gold/plat/credit resellers to spam chat.

Food for thought.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    inconsiderateinconsiderate Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 73
    edited April 2013
    trickshaw wrote: »
    There are many reasons why chat channels are divided into zones in almost every MMO out there.

While I do agree with you to an extent, it's important to also remember that in other games the zone chat's and level 1-29, 30-39, etc channels are usually basically dead - while the max level channel (which is usually the General or Serverwide Chat) is where all the conversation takes place. That's where the majority of the players are.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Personally I don't even like Zone Chat. I keep it on for the moment but I will likely turn it off in time.

Server wide chat... No thanks personally.
  • Options
    eight1foureight1four Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    trickshaw wrote: »
    The last thing any game needs is a chat channel where 10,000 concurrent players can all go nuts. The spam would be horrible and the lag would be intolerable. There are many reasons why chat channels are divided into zones in almost every MMO out there.

One of the big reasons is to make it harder for gold/plat/credit resellers to spam chat.

Food for thought.

You know there will never be anywhere close to 10 000 players at the same time on one server right? So just dont join the channel? And chat causing lag? haha sure thing...
  • Options
    lichlamentlichlament Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    An Emphatic and resounding...

NO

General chat has done more harm than good in games, and only fosters trolling and non productive talk, spam, and harassment.

Plenty of community in Enclave zone chat, and I am with Ambisin, once again, I will more than likely shut mine off in the upcoming future.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wow, global chat with Cryptics wonderful player driven muting system. Cant see any possible problem with that happening. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    shepherdofmanshepherdofman Member Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    2nd hour of the game you'll get flaming, cash site spammers, and the most notorious, BR? BR? BR?
    ~They are Lions, and I am their Shepherd~
  • Options
    trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    eight1four wrote: »
    You know there will never be anywhere close to 10 000 players at the same time on one server right?

You know that NW is transitioning to single server tech in the future, right?
    So just dont join the channel?

Because that's always a viable alternative in lieu of a perfectly normal chat channel. *rolleyes*
    And chat causing lag? haha sure thing...

Someone doesn't know how server I/O requests work. The reason Chat works so well in EVE with single server tech is because EVE is essentially a MUD. Now, take EVE's chat protocols and insert them into an actual X,Y,Z motion axis with live location updates. What do you get? Laaaaaaag.

WoW, and in turn most other high pop MMO's, addresses this with chat drops. It happens every day. Many times a day. Many, many, many times a day. And those are segregated servers. Merging just two chat servers in WoW would cause traffic congestion. Plain and simple. Let alone a single server global chat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    You know there will never be anywhere close to 10 000 players at the same time on one server right?

There were 20K players on a single server just during Beta Weekend 4.
    There were many more Beta Weekend 3.

It'd be interesting to know the actual number of players but, yeah, the only reason I know about the 20K was because of a recent Interview with The Squez.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    If it came down to tens of thousands of players online at the same time, there'd need to be more servers fer sure. Or different channels people can play on. Ya know what I mean jelly bean?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Of course there are going to be people on both sides of the argument, but every other MMO does have some sort of global chat, whether it is a level 60 chat or a generic Global Chat. I was truly surprised to find this feature to be missing.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    It's pretty much fact, if there's a global chat it will be abused. Flaming, spamming, people spamming about people flaming, people flaming about spammers, it happens. It will happen if there's a global chat in this game too.

You COULD do something similar to Atlantica's post board. If you're looking to buy/sell, need a group, or just w/e you can post a little paragraph and people can go look there. This way, it's not flooding the chat box at all.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Flaming, spamming, people spamming about people flaming, people flaming about spammers, it happens. It will happen if there's a global chat in this game too.

That will and does happen already in the Zone chat. There's nothing new there, and nothing that will stop it from happening. But perhaps a server-wide max level chat would be more appropriate.
  • Options
    eight1foureight1four Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    20 000 players during the whole weekend, not at the same time.
    There were 20K players on a single server just during Beta Weekend 4.
    There were many more Beta Weekend 3.

It'd be interesting to know the actual number of players but, yeah, the only reason I know about the 20K was because of a recent Interview with The Squez.
This discussion has been closed.