test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Video Options Advice to Reduce Heat

baldurandalbaldurandal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 53
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I apologize if this topic is in the wrong place. It seems to me that General Discussion is the best place of all of them here to post this.

I am looking for tips/advice related to tweaking the video settings to reduce heat while retaining an acceptable amount of visual quality. As it is now, the game recommends me to run it on maximum settings, but that makes my computer uncomfortably hot, especially in crowded areas. (Even the starting zone was enough to make my computer hot.) I don't want to take the risk of overheating my computer (again), so I turn to you, the community, for advice.

If this helps, here is my system information:

Operating System: Windows 7
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory (RAM): 8.00 GB
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Gaming Graphics: 4095 Total available graphics memory

Please let me know what additional details are needed. Thank you for reading, and good fortune to you in your current and future endeavors.
"Just keep moving." - Lara Croft
Post edited by baldurandal on

Comments

• Options
    realellandessrealellandess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 65
    edited April 2013
    Turn on vsync or reduce the frame rate in nvidia settings. You don't need 160 fps to appreciate the graphics. Just limit it.

Vsync is easiest.
    Computer: Black, pretty lights || Overclock: Photo of kids. || Memory: Not what it used to be. || Storage: Garage and shed. || Video: No, moved to DVD. || Windows: 100% glass.
    Never understood why people put specs in a signature...
  • Options
    baldurandalbaldurandal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 53
    edited April 2013
    I do have vsync on (which should reduce the FPS to 60), but I still face this problem. I tried limiting the FPS to 30 through the NVIDIA control panel, but that didn't seem to work.
  • Options
    aullah12aullah12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Buy cooler? You have a decent pc... why spare money on the cooling?
    You just spent 200dollar on a free videogame, Im sure you can spend like 30 dollar to buy one.

No offense or anything btw.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    No offense taken, aullah12. Will you explain what you mean by cooler? If you're talking about a water cooling system, the computer repair man I go to insists that I don't need one.

Edit: corrected typo.
  • Options
    ch80ch80 Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Click on advanced in your video settings, then click on troubleshooting. There should be an option that describes it's functionality as reducing the temp of your cpu and gpu.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    walkerwalker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    gotta admit this game runs both my cards very hot... there hitting 63 degrees each, and max there fans (most super complex games like say.... crysis 3 on max all clock in at about 55 tops)

also the latest nvidia beta drivers despite having SLi profiles for this game, give me constant computer lock ups (only on this game) until I went and reinstalled the older more stable ones (back to no lockups)

I have twin 580GTX, there overclocked but they got some custom air cooling (not a fan of liquid to much maint for my taste and I have headsets so dont mind loud *** fans) but man this game runs stuff hot... got two mates who are in beta as well reporting stupidly high temp (for what the game looks like) might need to look into that imo
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Oh! Thank you ch80! Under Troubleshooting in the video options screen there are two settings of interest: Reduce GPU/CPU Usage and Limit Frame Rate. The time has come for me to experiment with these settings to see if they help.