test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Complex Dialogue Possibilities? I have a problem.

thetacoofdoomthetacoofdoom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 21 Arc User
edited April 2013 in The Foundry
Hey!
I've been working on a Foundry dungeon which I'm proud of, but I've fallen upon an issue that ruins all of my plans. Originally, I had intended for the player to speak to a statue which would ask for a passcode. There are four possibilities, one of them is right. I wanted it to be so that if the player responds incorrectly, it spawns a pack of mobs into the room, if he answers correctly, it spawns a portal or something to let the player move on to the next zone. I haven't been able to find any way of doing this.
Is it possible? It must be... it just sounds so logical to have that kind of feature in a UGC editor.
Thanks for your help.
Post edited by thetacoofdoom on

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Use "Dialog Prompt" as a trigger for the trigger event of mobs. For portal, you need to hide the portal with invisible wall or something and use a similar trigger to hide the wall if answer is correct.
  • fyrestorme1fyrestorme1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 98
    edited April 2013
    can't you just hide the portal in its item properties and set the visible condition there as well?
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    can't you just hide the portal in its item properties and set the visible condition there as well?
    You can if it is an object you are using.

But I assumed you were using teleport portal, in which case you can't.
  • tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    To be a bit more specific: You've got 4 replies, where one is correct and the three others should spawn monsters. Here's what you do to create the failure logic:

- Create three encounter groups and place them wherever you want them to appear. They will appear individually.
    - Create your dialogue.
    - Make sure that the statue has a bit of dialog or text after the player's response. This is so you have something to attach the triggers to.
    - Select each encounter group in turn, and set their Visible state to Dialog Prompt Reached. Select one of the failure dialog prompts that you just made, and make sure that each encounter is tied to a different one.
    - Voila!
  • thetacoofdoomthetacoofdoom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Perfect! Thank you guys, I got it now. The Foundry has some nifty stuff, impressive.
    edited April 2013
    Btw, an alternative approach from my last post, if you want each of the wrong responses to summon the exact same opposition, is to link all three responses to the same dialog node and place one enemy encounter that triggers on that dialog prompt. My approach above was merely the one that gives you the maximum amount of control and flexibility, but this quicker one is most likely what you really need in this case.
  • thetacoofdoomthetacoofdoom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've run into another issue. The encounter doesn't seem to spawn unless I've set the quest objective to 'Kill Enemies'. Is there a workaround. I want the objective to stay at 'Reach Point' but I still want the statue to spawn enemies/show the portal depending on your dialogue answers.
    edited April 2013
    For stuff like this you probably want to keep the dialog non-story. Have it set to Reach Point from the beginning. There might be some Foundry confusion if you set a non-story group of enemies to spawn based on a story conversation, but I can't say for sure.
  • zaphtasticzaphtastic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have this in my quest (story dialog spawning enemies), and having it in the storyboard works just fine. Have a dialog objective for the statue, and make the portal option the only "successful" one. Then have "enter the portal" for the next objective, etc etc.

One additional note that came up for me while playtesting -- you'll want to trigger the mob spawns from a prompt that doesn't have much text in it and only a single option that ends the conversation. The reason for this is that the mobs will spawn as soon as the prompt is entered, and they will attack the player while he's reading the dialogue! In my quest I tried to ward them off with invisible walls, but they didn't work at all -- the mobs just glitched through them. Of course if the mobs aren't spawning on top of the player (but rather appearing as guards in a later room), you can trigger them from anywhere you want.

So I'd do something like this:

First prompt
    --
    [statue text]
    --
    1. Good answer
    * This should either lead to 'Dialog end' with the failure option unchecked, or an intermediate prompt that leads immediately to 'Dialog end' with the failure option unchecked.
    --
    2. Bad answer #1
    * If you want to get fancy, hide this option once the '#1' group of mobs has been defeated.
    * This should lead to an intermediate prompt (let's call it 1/A):

[text explaining what just happened]
    1. (Continue.)
    * 'Continue' should lead to a placeholder-ish prompt (let's call it 1/B):

[VERY short text to the effect of 'The enemy attacks!']
    1. (Get ready to fight.)
    * This option should lead to 'Dialog end' with the failure option ticked.

--
    For every other 'bad' choice in the riddle, do the same thing (with different text of course).
    --

5. (Leave.)
    * This should immediately lead to 'Dialog end' with the failure option ticked.

When setting up the encounter triggers, set them to "Appear when Dialog Prompt Reached" - 1/B (for group #1), 2/B (for group #2), etc etc.