test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Playing NeverWinter on MacOS or Linux (via CrossOver Games)

jackal242jackal242 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
edited July 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Has anyone tried this yet?

I see over on CrossOver Games, that Neverwinter got a "Gold" rating for MacOSX which means you can play it using CrossOver Games!

Has anyone tried it?

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=11376
Post edited by jackal242 on

Comments

• Options
    angryweirdoangryweirdo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 117 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    games on mac. lol
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I set it up on a Suse Linux box using wine, runs well. Don't know about CO.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    gridwardengridwarden Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Crossover ported Neverwinter so well on my MacBook Air and Mac Mini, that I built a gaming Hackintosh and got a MacBook Pro to play the game.

Go for it!
  • Options
    lihin23nihillihin23nihil Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Neverwinter worked very well on Linux using Wine during Beta Weekends 2 and 3, haven't been able to try game-play since, but the launcher and patcher continue to work. Launcher requires IE installed in wine to work properly (i.e. to launch the game at all)

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?113761-Crossover-for-Mac-and-GPUs

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?52111-Preformance-under-wine
  • Options
    gridwardengridwarden Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    In reference to the post above, in BW4 the armor/weapon skin graphic glitch from BW3 got fixed and I had no other issues on my lowend computers.

On my OS X box with the nVidia 660, I had a graphic glitch with fire/sparkle animations, but otherwise no other issues. I'm hoping that issue gets fixed by Open Beta tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    games on mac. lol

I play all my games on my mac, and I always have. City of Heroes... Always played under Crossover.

WOW - I played their MAC client.

Guild Wars 2 - Played their MAC Client.

Always play on my mac!
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wait... Macs are still considered computers? I thought they were Apple Terminals now....
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    gridwarden wrote: »
    In reference to the post above, in BW4 the armor/weapon skin graphic glitch from BW3 got fixed and I had no other issues on my lowend computers.

On my OS X box with the nVidia 660, I had a graphic glitch with fire/sparkle animations, but otherwise no other issues. I'm hoping that issue gets fixed by Open Beta tomorrow.

Were you playing via Crossover Games?
  • Options
    chomagchomag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    The only good Mac is MacDonald's.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    Wait... Macs are still considered computers? I thought they were Apple Terminals now....

Do people still use Windows? Seriously? In todays world? Wow! Amazing.

I have not allowed Windows anywhere in any of my data centers for 15+ years. Is Windows considered an actually operating system? I still call it DOS.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    gridwarden wrote: »
    Crossover ported Neverwinter so well on my MacBook Air and Mac Mini, that I built a gaming Hackintosh and got a MacBook Pro to play the game.

Go for it!

Awesome! I'm going to try it. Waiting for the Open Beta then.
  • Options
    chomagchomag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Do people still use PCs to play games ?! Amazing.

All games are on consoles nowadays, at least the good ones. PCs are just for utility programs and CGI.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    jackal242 wrote: »
    Do people still use Windows? Seriously? In todays world? Wow! Amazing.

I have not allowed Windows anywhere in any of my data centers for 15+ years. Is Windows considered an actually operating system? I still call it DOS.

Well, I am not sure what you are talking about, considering market share.

Also, I do technical support for Progressive Insurance and nearly all of our 80,000+ PCs run windows.
  • Options
    sideraxsiderax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    On linux I use the same wine configuration than for Champions Online :
    Wine 32bits with dx9 and ie8.

For the moment I can lauch the game without problem. I will see tomorow how are the perf ingame ;)
    @Sideria

My french Spelljammer Campaign : Une epopee celeste
  • Options
    taeryltaeryl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited April 2013
    I'm not in game yet, but I installed the client via Crossover and it appears to work so far, but the options link on the launcher does not appear to work for me. It wants to treat it as a web link and launches the Crossover browser but page is blank. Is there somewhere else I can turn off the game patching so it installs the rest of the game?
  • Options
    xenozenoxenozeno Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    games on mac. lol

every time.. grow up
  • Options
    askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    games on mac. lol

Yea... how dare you try and play a game on a much more solid platform.. how dare you!
  • Options
    askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    Well, I am not sure what you are talking about, considering market share.

Also, I do technical support for Progressive Insurance and nearly all of our 80,000+ PCs run windows.

Switch to linux and cut your maintenance overhead by 70% and security risks by 90%.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Switch to linux and cut your maintenance overhead by 70% and security risks by 90%.

And our compatability with our myriad of interconnected software by 100%

Including all of our windows based virtual servers, which every one of our Home-Based agents emulate their desktop from
  • Options
    valrain2valrain2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    On-topic: Tried with playonlinux, winetricks dotnet40 ie8 and directx9. Can't login, there is something up with the launcher. Crossover might work fine if it's working on the mac. I followed this to start with: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=27917

Off-topic:
    We used to be a Microsoft shop, but then they dropped support for Silverlight, WPF, .NET, TF, LINQ to SQL, etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

It's ****ing horrible to be a Windows dev right now, Microsoft doesn't have a consistent story for where they are heading with their development direction. Is .NET dead? Are we back to C++ and COM on WinRT? My C# Metro app doesn't work on Windows RT, but is Windows RT even going to exist anymore a year from now? Is the server division going to split from Windows tablet, or are servers going to continue forward with the multi-touch interface and lack of support for optical drives (like client)? Everything is so focused on consumer tech (WinRT and the Metro interface) that it's like their entire MSDN division has been obsoleted. Our corporate sales rep feels our frustration, but he doesn't have any answers either.

We were heavily invested in an ASP.NET back-end, WPF management clients, and SQL Server. In the past year we've moved v.Next to being based on almost entirely Linux, MongoDB, Postgres, and a mix of Java and Python.

It's a shame, C# is a wonderful language and .NET is an excellent development platform. I kinda hate the Windows division for what they've done to Microsoft's developers.
  • Options
    dantefaustus74dantefaustus74 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I got crossover installed and neverwinter. I can't get passed the monitor calibration screen. Left click goes dead on my mouse at this point. For everything including mac native stuff. Any advice?
  • Options
    nraymentnrayment Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    It plays fine with the 12.2.1 or higher codweavers crossover on either Ubuntu, or Linux Mint. However, in my experience, the mouse movement is jittery, like the mouse got infused with too much caffine and can't sit still even when I'm moving the mouse smoothly.
  • Options
    vascodergamervascodergamer Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2013
    I am using it on Gentoo Linux with PlayOnLinux. Works ok so far for praying and a little trading in Protector's Enclave. For serious dungeon runs or questing the performance/frame rate is too low and there are a lot of graphic glitches like textures/animations not loaded in time. It may be because I use a multi monitor setup which often causes pain with games under linux. It definitely is not my computer's speed (6-core with 3.4Ghz, Nvidia GTX 660ti, 16GB RAM, SSD), no speed problems on windows.