test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Is this game going to hold the interest of the more 'addicted' player?

scan69scan69 Member Posts: 120 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Question pertains to the experience of SWTOR mainly.

Our group of players were max level before early access ended that was five days from a Dec 20th launch (and we're, believe it or not, NOT hardcore as we would define it) and had completed all endgame content (apart from the buggy nightmare mode SOA boss) before the end of January. The game was ok but woefully short of things to do.

Are we going to see the same drop off of content and constructive things to do at max level?

I have not played any of the end game and would appreciate any clues or snippets of information as to what there is for the player that likes to play the hardest stuff NW can throw at you.
Post edited by scan69 on

Comments

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Cryptic didn't let anybody play the end game during the beta.
    They capped combat levels at 50 for the Closed Beta Tests.

They say there will be plenty of great end game content though...
    And don't forget or underwrite The Foundry.
  • wesgarwesgar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I really think that our salvation here will come from the community producing content on the Foundry - I was repeatedly surprised, with the quality content that was available in the beta weekends.

This was with just a couple of months and a very small group of testers working on projects.

As this opens up, and as quality Foundry Artists continue expanding their craft, I strongly believe that there will be a nigh neverending supply of content.

there will be trash to be sure, but the 5 start rating system seems robust, and will hopefully let the great content raise to the top.

and for PvP... I haven't seen this spoken of much at all - but it's on the Wiki:

http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/Gauntlgrym

It says:

Gauntlgrym, in Forgotten Realms lore, it is an ancient ruined dwarven city. Via the Underdark it links to many places such as Deepearth, Nuur Throth, and Shadowdale.
    In Neverwinter, it is an area for Level 60 20-vs-20 PVP.
    It was stated in an interview with Jack Emmert that many locations to be included in the game were to come from the novel series of the same name by R.A. Salvatore.

Did you catch that... 20 vs 20 PVP! for PVP'rs if that doesn't sound like some fun 'end game' content, I don't know what does!!!

Thanks,

zWolf / Wesgar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

So much content to create so little time to do so...

Foundry is great, and if you have a creative bone in you it will hook you. Its so easy to get lost and spend the entire day doing nothing but making quests.

There will be no lack of content both due to Cryptic and the foundry.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just wait and see what I've been cooking up for the foundry once I get access to it

*evil laugh*
    21.jpg
  • chomagchomag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    In all honesty I don't think so. I mean the MMO features in this game are pretty much bare-bones. It's going to go well for a while especially if you're so bored with wow that even seeing the login screen gives you nausea, not to mention the video game market is garbage right now anyway.

Personally, I'm only planning to play NW until Wildstar is out, which is 7 months away.
  • inconsiderateinconsiderate Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 73
    edited April 2013
    I hate to admit, but I think that your typical hardcore crowd of gamer won't have much to do after max level.

Citing the Foundry as endgame is all well and good, but there isn't really any -competition- there.

Historically, your endgame progression guilds want official dungeons to defeat. They want enormous bosses which they can brag that they killed. That sword that glows blue and has one more dex than anyone else. Player created content is great, but it doesn't have that.. erm.. je ne sais quoi you can brag about.

This is my personal speculation, and I do hope that I'm wrong because the game-play is fantastic and I really hope that everyone enjoys themselves for a long time here.
  • ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We'll see a VERY large contingent of Nintendo-style power-gamers who come to an MMO, rip through the content as fast as possible, to cap within just a few days. Then they'll come here and complain they are "bored" and there's nothing to do.

That wave will crescendo by mid-May, at which point the game settles into those who love D&D, Forgotten Realms and start to explore the Foundry and all the great things it can do.

That's when the community will gel and the game becomes truly exciting.

I am going to enjoy this game immensely (despite its flaws), but let's face it, this game has none of the ingredients for a sure-fire SMASH hit. It will cater to a small to middle sized group of very loyal fans. It will settle into the size of other Cryptic titles (Star Trek probably the perfect example). It will have a very loyal audience...but by June, a lot of ePeens are going to already be looking for something new to play, or will trot back to Warcraft, where endless raid grinding is considered "skill".

Well get another wave in early July as the Drow release, but that wave will be smaller and shorter than this launch...and we will settle back to the small-to-middle sized core community.
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • fyrestorme1fyrestorme1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 98
    edited April 2013
    scan69 wrote: »

Our group of players were max level before early access ended that was five days from a Dec 20th launch (and we're, believe it or not, NOT hardcore as we would define it) and had completed all endgame content (apart from the buggy nightmare mode SOA boss) before the end of January. The game was ok but woefully short of things to do.

Are we going to see the same drop off of content and constructive things to do at max level?

I have not played any of the end game and would appreciate any clues or snippets of information as to what there is for the player that likes to play the hardest stuff NW can throw at you.

I'm going to say yes, but only if they like creating their own content and playing user-created content.
  • teethxteethx Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited April 2013

At first glance you would think the foundry is going to be the bread and butter of the game but I personally hope they can make us feel more invested into the game.

One of the common problems with wow and swotor were getting all the cool gear and nothing left to do besides do laps on your mount in IF or in space stations. I hate feeling like I have to "find" something to do, I hope they can make you feel like you want to do something.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    I don't think, I know.

However that is from my persepctive because I am not looking for a standard MMO experience...
    Plus what I define an MMO Experience as is very different from what the MMO Crowd does. I don't consider raids or anything of the sort fun. ;)

I'm looking at this NWN made into a single server with much more accessible, though limited, tools.
    I played NWN1 for literally four years and loved every second of it. I never have and never will be looking for MMO mechanics.

They'll be here. I might dabble. But that's not what I'm interested in.
  • elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

No, these people are going to race, rage and move on like they always do. The best thing to hope is that they don't do any damage before they leave.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013

I don't think there is any new MMO that will satisfy you, and I doubt that Neverwinter will be an exception. You are among the people who consume content much faster than the average player, so you will always have finished it ahead of the schedule. There is nothing wrong with this, and early in WoW I was playing exactly like this, so I can relate to the playstyle, but this is also why I don't think you'll really find what you are looking for.

The problem is really not the game, it's just the speed at which you burn through content and then you want more and harder stuff, and that is an unrealistic expectation in PvE, because no one can keep making content for 5% of the player base who will then be done with it before the 95% even tackle it (WoW tried this in TBC expansion, and it didn't go well). Usually, MMOs try to tackle the problem by adding a lot of grind-y stuff with artificial bottle necks, like daily quests for reputation, endless farming requirements for mounts, vanity achievement rewards, etc, but none of that is actually challenging.

Rated PvP is different, because here the challenge scales with you. The better you are, the better opponents you face. But Neverwinter's PvP isn't at that level yet (the game is JUST entering open beta) and it may never have an arena system that is very competitive. The Foundry is probably not a solution of you look for a challenge rather than a good story and the experience, because you'll want appropriate rewards, newer and better gear, and that will (most likely) not be available through player-created content.

Basically, if you want to have candy tomorrow and next week too, you can't eat the whole box today. That's independent of the brand of candy.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    @ OP, I have just the thing for your group and playstyle....
    Wizardry Online is the most hardcore fantasy MMO ever created. The difficulty level is insane. The dungeons are brutal. There is no auto-healing. You will earn your levels. Your crimes taint your soul. Your allies could betray you at any moment. And when you die, you die forever. Are you ready for the challenge?

https://www.wizardrythegame.com/
  • rhcpmikeyrhcpmikey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Neverwinter kinda gives me a Little Big Planet-vibe where the story is awesome and endgame is going to be great, but when you do not feel like doing that content or just want to do something else, you can create and play your own dungeons. Really interested to see how this is going to work out.
    Zironako - level 60 - control wizard
    Lucience - level 16 - trickster rogue
    Dragon server
  • theskymootheskymoo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 50
    edited April 2013
    ryger5 wrote: »
    We'll see a VERY large contingent of Nintendo-style power-gamers who come to an MMO, rip through the content as fast as possible, to cap within just a few days. Then they'll come here and complain they are "bored" and there's nothing to do.

That wave will crescendo by mid-May, at which point the game settles into those who love D&D, Forgotten Realms and start to explore the Foundry and all the great things it can do.

That's when the community will gel and the game becomes truly exciting.

I am going to enjoy this game immensely (despite its flaws), but let's face it, this game has none of the ingredients for a sure-fire SMASH hit. It will cater to a small to middle sized group of very loyal fans. It will settle into the size of other Cryptic titles (Star Trek probably the perfect example). It will have a very loyal audience...but by June, a lot of ePeens are going to already be looking for something new to play, or will trot back to Warcraft, where endless raid grinding is considered "skill".

Well get another wave in early July as the Drow release, but that wave will be smaller and shorter than this launch...and we will settle back to the small-to-middle sized core community.

Great response and for me you nailed it bang on with that. Or at least I hope you have. I hope everyone has a blast with the game, including those who rip through it, but I'm looking forward to creating and playing content that people who want to spend time exploring etc... enjoy.

Nothing against power gaming but the thing that really got me excited about NW was Foundry and the potential that brings to unlimited content. I have no interest in raids and 'end game' content. For me the idea is that the game world is essentially infinite as long as people are creating content.

Bring on 1700 GMT!

Have fun in game everyone, see you in there!
  • chomagchomag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Funny thing about great MMOs tanking is that they go down in an explosion of whine threads and criticism, often accompanied by bans for "trolling" or "negative attitude" (I actually got banned for this on the swtor forums, didn't know being negative was against the forums rules) or, hell why not, complaining about the developer or the game (also seen on the swtor forums). Google "Stanley Woo" and "Ding Dong Bannu". :D

Hell, just reading the forums of clinically dead MMOs should have a subscription as it's often more fun than the game itself.