test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is a "Progression" Guild?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
I don't know what "Progression" refers to..
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Options
    colhatickcolhatick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Going through and beating the difficult endgame content.
  • Options
    inconsiderateinconsiderate Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 73
    edited April 2013
    I think a better question would be, "What is considered progression content in Neverwinter?" Since most folks are still hung up on the lack of raids.
  • Options
    jkaplan92jkaplan92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Progression = a guild focused on "progressing" through the games content IE trying to clear all the dungeons/raids or whatever else the game has to offer as fast as possible.

@inconsiderate dungeons can still be progression. Not having raids is really not an issue at all. The only issue is when content isn't difficult enough. Typically there needs to be gear checks somewhere in the game so that you force players to farm certain content for gear to clear the later content. If all of the content has the same gear requirement it becomes entirely about skill and theoretically the best group of 5 could finish the entire games dungeons in a day or less which would obviously be an issue for a lot of players.
  • Options
    inconsiderateinconsiderate Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 73
    edited April 2013
    IMO a lot of endgame playtime will involve Foundry quests/campaigns. At least, I feel that this is what many people are counting on.
  • Options
    tanvertanver Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    At least there is a Gear Score Mechanic in game already.
    20.jpg
    SOLA_Signature_zpsce14d8b8.gif
  • Options
    skumbagduskskumbagdusk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Essentially, it's a guild that claims to focus on clearing the newest content, in a Player vs Environment case. For NW, they've mentioned a few times that progression for them, right now, are epic dungeons. To explain, these are just the dungeons you'll see while leveling, but set at a higher much difficult, including, but not limited to, new mechanics, extra trash, additional bosses, etc.

There are, when you get down to it, two types of Progression guilds: Casual, and Hardcore. They're fairly self-explanatory; Casual means that these people want to see the content, but they don't expect, demand, or want to be at the bleeding-edge of progression. they'll see it in their own time, and still manage to enjoy themselves along the way. Hardcore is the complete opposite. They expect/demand every player to be up to date with mechanics, their specific class theorycrafting, and a multitude of other requirements.

Of course, there are varying degrees of casual, and hardcore guilds/players. But that's the bare minimum.
  • Options
    bismar7bismar7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Progression Guilds are guilds who focus on Clearing content and being on the cutting edge of a game.

The best examples I can give are World of Warcraft guilds such as the ones in the link at the bottom.

*This is my opinion based on experience in such guilds*

Generally the players in these guilds have faster reflexes, play longer hours, and take the game more seriously. They typically want to be the best in either PVE (player vs. Environment) or PVP (player vs. player) Content, Dominating other players and guilds to prove they are better at the game, or for their pride at just being good. You will find that progressive minded players tend toward the "elitist" attitude. A person who holds him or herself to higher standards than those of other players because he or she is more honorable, intelligent, funny, good-looking, skillful, and/or awesome in the game.

This is not to say that such individuals don't help other players, or that they are actively a bully.

There are Casual and Hardcore "progression" guilds. Just as there are Hardcore and casual non-progression guilds (I.E. Leveling Guilds).

A link to the current top "Progression guilds" in the most popular MMORPG.
    http://www.wowprogress.com/
    26.jpg