test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

open world !

xulynxulyn Member Posts: 21 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
hye guys got some questions :) is there open world areas where u can see other players?can u see other players on main city? can u pvp on open world areas? i hope u cann see other players outside group in citys and outside citys like on questing zones :P if es then i definetly buy the founders pack if not then i dont think i would want to play this game, it wouldnt be mmo for me,and what would be point to get mounts and stuff like that if no1 can see those :) i hope u can answer and i really apologize my bad english verbal :) hope u andurstand.
Post edited by xulyn on

Comments

• Options
    labbblabbb Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't know about PvP areas , but the questing areas are open . Even the tutorial area is open .
  • Options
    dec0ydeaditedec0ydeadite Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    instanced based game, everything including pvp is instanced.
    those dam_ HOTN players ruin everything.
    STRUGGLING? uMAD? QQ? NEED A GUIDE? GET SPOON FED HERE! NOMNOMNOM
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    can u see other players on city aswell?
  • Options
    licourtrix1licourtrix1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 232 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    yes you can.
    How much do clothes cost in the Matrix?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    i hope there is gonna be open world pvp zones allso later :)
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Lots of open areas. Some of them quite large even though I only got up to the mid 30s. I hear they get bigger as you go up in level.

Gauntlgrym is a big level 60 area that will have both PvP and PvE aspects to it.
  • Options
    soulwarrior78soulwarrior78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You can always see other players in instances. It's not exclusive instances like in GW1, although even in GW1 you could see other players in the cities.

There will be open world pvp as well (http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/going-hands-on-with-neverwinter-pvp). There was also another article that talked about open world pvp in a bit of more detail, that was published a few weeks ago, but I don't remember the link.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    ok it is nice :9 there is open world areas and can see other players on citys :) thank you for responses .
  • Options
    dec0ydeaditedec0ydeadite Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    if you're in the same instance, yes.

i don't think you understand the difference, instances are not open world, open world implies singularity, all players on one server/one region/one big as_ map, this game does not have that. if you want to find someone you're going to have to be in the same instance as them, if you're worried about not being able to find people out in the world don't fret, as you move further away from the main city in the game the outer regions have fewer instances, some only had one per during beta4.
    those dam_ HOTN players ruin everything.
    STRUGGLING? uMAD? QQ? NEED A GUIDE? GET SPOON FED HERE! NOMNOMNOM
  • Options
    mokomiimokomii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The game is instanced. People are saying open world because the zones are so large, but it really is instances.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    well my only problem was whats the moint to get shiny things mounts and other stuff if no1 can see them :P if the cities are filled whit peeps and there is areas(intstas) for all people its good and i definetly gonna get this game :)
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited April 2013
    mokomii wrote: »
    The game is instanced. People are saying open world because the zones are so large, but it really is instances.

That's true of nearly every MMO in existence. The only difference is how many people can be in the instance. The couple of games that don't do this instead degrade non-gracefully into unplayability when the area is too full.
  • Options
    soulwarrior78soulwarrior78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    xulyn wrote: »
    well my only problem was whats the moint to get shiny things mounts and other stuff if no1 can see them :P if the cities are filled whit peeps and there is areas(intstas) for all people its good and i definetly gonna get this game :)

Tons of people will see you parading around in your mount in the cities and while you're question out in the world.
  • Options
    kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited April 2013
    Well there are kind of open areas AKA zones where you mix with others the size of these zones varies theres only so many people in a zone instance dunno what cap is (most likely it somewhere between 100 and 200 in most zones).

If there wasn't multiple instances everyone would be slowed to halt due to data overload, imagine it if there was 200,000+ characters that needed rendering by your PC *shudders*. It would take 1 year to move two one step forward.

Quests are split between dungeon instances and the open world instances.
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Instancing means that multiple copies, or instances, of the same area can exist simultaneously. That is all it means. Open means that other players may enter a given area. Instances can be open or private. Private instances are only accessible by a given character or group of characters (for example a party or guild).

Neverwinter is composed of both private and open instances. Some of the instances are very large. The open instances allow you to see and interact with other characters including PvP where designated. Movement between different areas or different instances of the same area is not seamless. You interact with an object, usually a door, and re-load into the next area. You switch instances of the same area via a dropdown.

As a contrasting example, World of Warcraft is composed of large non-instanced open public areas and smaller private instances. Movement between all the open areas is divided into "continents". It is not seamless. You board a "vessel" and when it departs you re-load into the next continent. You enter the instances by interacting with a portal much like you do to move between instances in Neverwinter.

In practice, the difference between the two experiences will depend on instance population. There will be areas in Neverwinter with high populations that feel a lot like the non-instanced games but they will not be able to have more than a specific number of people in a single instance. When additional players zone in a new instance is automatically created for them. As long as a single player is still in the instance it continues to exist, so players will usually spread themselves out between several copies of the busiest areas.

There is also no hard limit on how big they can make an instanced area. We could see one just as large as a WoW continent. Trivia: WoW's continents are actually quite small. Both of the original continents added together are about 80 square miles.

I would also like to add that I consider instancing to be the superior technology. It provides greater capacity, better performance and stability in general, easier addition of new areas, and the ability to tie different versions of an area into the game's story. For example, visit a village then leave and come back after doing a different quest and it has been overrun by enemy troops. Other characters who haven't done that quest still enter the original version of the village. That is something I would really like to see in Neverwinter in the future.
  • Options
    mrbluebirdmrbluebird Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Instancing means that multiple copies, or instances, of the same area can exist simultaneously. That is all it means. Open means that other players may enter a given area. Instances can be open or private. Private instances are only accessible by a given character or group of characters (for example a party or guild).

Neverwinter is composed of both private and open instances. Some of the instances are very large. The open instances allow you to see and interact with other characters including PvP where designated. Movement between different areas or different instances of the same area is not seamless. You interact with an object, usually a door, and re-load into the next area. You switch instances of the same area via a dropdown.

As a contrasting example, World of Warcraft is composed of large non-instanced open public areas and smaller private instances. Movement between all the open areas is divided into "continents". It is not seamless. You board a "vessel" and when it departs you re-load into the next continent. You enter the instances by interacting with a portal much like you do to move between instances in Neverwinter.

In practice, the difference between the two experiences will depend on instance population. There will be areas in Neverwinter with high populations that feel a lot like the non-instanced games but they will not be able to have more than a specific number of people in a single instance. When additional players zone in a new instance is automatically created for them. As long as a single player is still in the instance it continues to exist, so players will usually spread themselves out between several copies of the busiest areas.

There is also no hard limit on how big they can make an instanced area. We could see one just as large as a WoW continent. Trivia: WoW's continents are actually quite small. Both of the original continents added together are about 80 square miles.

I would also like to add that I consider instancing to be the superior technology. It provides greater capacity, better performance and stability in general, easier addition of new areas, and the ability to tie different versions of an area into the game's story. For example, visit a village then leave and come back after doing a different quest and it has been overrun by enemy troops. Other characters who haven't done that quest still enter the original version of the village. That is something I would really like to see in Neverwinter in the future.

Maybe in themepark MMOs. In sandbox MMO, open world is absolutely king, and instancing murders the game.
  • Options
    chomagchomag Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 200 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    mrbluebird wrote: »
    Maybe in themepark MMOs. In sandbox MMO, open world is absolutely king, and instancing murders the game.

It's ok, this game only has to survive until November.

...but what if it doesn't and I got nothing else to play until then ?
  • Options
    mrbluebirdmrbluebird Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    chomag wrote: »
    It's ok, this game only has to survive until November.

...but what if it doesn't and I got nothing else to play until then ?

Phwehhh? Whats November?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Cmon now I HAVE to know. What is November.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    mrbluebird wrote: »
    Cmon now I HAVE to know. What is November.

He's probably referring to the new Xbox. Xbox 720 is coming out November.
  • Options
    colhatickcolhatick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would have guessed TESO
  • Options
    inconsiderateinconsiderate Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 73
    edited April 2013
    He's probably referring to the new Xbox. Xbox 720 is coming out November.

The next Xbox has no release date, and in fact hasn't even been announced yet. Good job on slightly derailing the thread though.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    colhatick wrote: »
    I would have guessed TESO

I thought so too, but the devs only say "coming in 2013" so far, no date at all. Not to mention, after watching that 19 minutes leaked beta gameplay that came out last week and the 2 minutes one from a few days ago, I'm extremely disappointed with TESO. I most likely won't be leaving NW for TESO unless they change the game a LOT, because that video showed just how bad that game is.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    The game is open world. It is not seamless open world.

That's the complete answer.

Since the OP has been answered and the last page and a half have been flame posts the thread is closed.
    If you were expecting seamless open world in D&D, I am sorry but the chances of that ever being done well are nearly non-existent.

There are ways to improve the instancing in Neverwinter which will hopefully come in time but despite that the game is open world. It's just not seameless.
This discussion has been closed.