test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Calling all players! Neverwinter Online Wikia Needs YOU!

jezathforumjezathforum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
"Our un-official wikia is coming along in leaps and bounds!!"
~~~Razor01 [Guild Web Mod] on the wikia last week.

"Such a wealth of information that you have gathered already!"
~~~Warcry Writer Jon Prosperi.

"Our wikia is not just lists of npcs and locations!!"
~~~Grismwold Guild Master Blood

Bblood6.png

NeverwinterOnline Wikia

Our wikia is going to give you an extremley grounded perspective on the forgotten realms and neverwinter. This is Garunteed to enhance your overall game experience, all the lore, the dungeon guides, zones and what you find there and every other useful bit of info that you can think of..

We planned on having it up to date at least on the race, class and monsters before release but its coming closer and we have yet to finisdh this up..

This is where you come in my friends!

We aim to be the goto place for anything wiki related for the community fanbase of neverwinter.. We are looking for budding volunteers of all shapes and sizes, of all colours and creeds.. Now editing a wikia can be a little daunting at first but not to worry!! Because if you have any questions jsut send a message to myself or one of our other admins and we will explain it for you.. There is also an nextensive database of help topics for you to browse for specific edits..

Now when you first look at a wiki and the overwhelming amount of information there its flabbergasting and if your not careful all you will do is stare at the screen going omg...... oh my... oh gods....

So the way around this is to give yourself a small task.. it may be something like, ill check this one page for spelling and/or grammar.. Then when you finish that you can start over on another page or go for somethign more adventurous.. Just keep giving yourself small tasks, eventually it will build up to thew whole

Our plan is to get every fan to do one edit eacha nd our wikia will then be finished in a day! We know this wont happen but that doesent stop us trying so get editing guys!!!

Please make an account so we can keep track of who is editing what etc..
Bg-lnkHome-2.png

Specific areas that need some attention.

Races
Elf page is almost finished so please use that as a formatting guide for other pages. That way u know the info still needed..

Classes
Guardian fighter is the class page to see what kinds of info we need here so guardian page amnd copntrol wizard are already being worked on by specific people. Use those pages to check if your getting the right formatting and info down for your race

Monster manual
OGRES have been finished here almost so use this as reference for other mon man pages.. Use ingame screens where you can specially for the types.. Would be good to make an infobox template for this for the types seperate pages...

Gods in lore section

Gods secton will require FR campaign settings guide for reference and the ultimate god guide 4E ( faith and pantheons or something is it?).

Zones
Protectors enclave and neverwinter fields are being weorked on atm but all other places need some work

===========================================================================================

One more thing, we are NOT in competition against the official wikia we are actually running in tandem with it so to speak. We offer a different kind of wikia to the official one which at the current time is useful lists of npc and locations..
Beleive it or not we actually have more information up than them at the current time (not more pages but more info, alot of there pages are stubs whereas alot of ours are almost complete).
I just wanted to make that quite clear.

As a community ive been convinced by you guys to keep this one going in tandem or alongside the official as a wiki from the players perspective kind of thing.. This also means that We will be very expansive in the lore and the guides side of the game information..

We are also running an acheivement section so the more you edit the more cool awards you get! so people will know you are a master editor! just by looking at your profile!!

=======================================================================================

Neverwinter_city_.jpg

Could also do with someone to go through and interlink everything and check for dead ends..

The Blood Legion Order of Dragons wants to say.......Thankyou community!!!!!

enjin-393296-13641734601093802493-gray.png
"There are two things that drive technology forward in a huge leap in this world, one is war and one is business..."-- Timothy Wade 2012
"If you wish to join a guild, that will be running a guild foundry RP campaign then come take a look at [BLOOD]"
Post edited by jezathforum on

Comments

• Options
    jezathforumjezathforum Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    One thing that I forgot to mention, I think it would be good if the other wikis out there joined up with us to provide one wiki of great quality and depth.. Out of all current wikias this one is the most expansive so it makes sense to keep it, that way we have less info to have to retype or copy/paste...

Please PM for buereacrat status if you are a current smaller neverwinter wikia holder and want to move your info to one solid foundation..

"There are two things that drive technology forward in a huge leap in this world, one is war and one is business..."-- Timothy Wade 2012
    "If you wish to join a guild, that will be running a guild foundry RP campaign then come take a look at [BLOOD]"
  • Options
    unsaltedazunsaltedaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There's already an Official Wiki.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    This is not about the official wiki, this is about the Un-Official wiki thanks

• Options
    fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Why bother, we have an official wiki already.
  • Options
    derangedheroderangedhero Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is not about the official wiki, this is about the Un-Official wiki thanks

I am not certain I understand what the upside to having more than one wiki is.
    Does that not cause information to be sparser everywhere, because few if any people will add content to more than one wiki? :confused:
    ---
    [SIGPIC]Or am I?[/SIGPIC]
    This loony is also known as @Derangement.
  • Options
    argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am not certain I understand what the upside to having more than one wiki is.
    Does that not cause information to be sparser everywhere, because few if any people will add content to more than one wiki? :confused:

It is really simple, advertising. They obviously must want ad $$ or they would have just joined up with the official wiki. The one Cryptic is supporting and all...
  • Options
    elyrielleelyrielle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yea there's no reason to have two wikis and definitely no reason to use the one Cryptic isn't partnered with (since they would presumably update it with stuff too).
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Alright guys, just because there's an Official Wiki doesn't mean there can't be an unofficial one too.

If you disagree with the concept the best thing you can do is to move along. Let's not plaster this thread with links to the Official Wiki.
    If people want to use the unofficial wiki they are more than welcome to!

Thanks for contributing to the game and community Jezathforum!
  • Options
    xelqyplaxelqypla Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't mind multiple Wiki on games I play.

The Official one has Links to pretty much everything on the main page.
    nwowiki.co also has a fairly easy navigation page.

neverwinteronline.wikia.com (this one) isn't user friendly enough. "Main Menu" doesn't even have a single sentence, let alone links to the various game features and mechanics. You might have more information but, I can't see it. Start with the main page and work out - otherwise few people will bother helping.

I think if you get the Main Menu up and running, you'll have more people willing to help.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wow...tough room, way to foster the community guys. :rolleyes:

Thanks for letting us know about it Jezathforum.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    no worrys storm dragon thanks moderator for popping in also.. Just for your information we dont use adsense on any of our sites so no revenue is being collected as you put it.. Cjeck the source code if your not sure about this statement.

Xelqypla thanks for pointing that out and yes the main page describes the wiki then gives you a link to the hompage but thats it no contents as such yet... All the information on the wikia is actually obtained by using the nav bar up top under MAIN... I should put something in the main page to describe this better perhaps.. Ill get doing contents tommorow..

We will get a contents up also but we are currently focusing on getting the information up for you guys.. Un-official wikis are actually very useful as (and no disrecpect to the official wikia intended here) they tend to have more information and more ingame related info as it were than an official one does, for instance if you goto elf on offivial wikia its a stub page but if you goto elf on our wikia, we have expanded it to encompass a whole host of information including lore so that you really get a good feel for playing an elf :)

after we finish the classes and races and get the basic mechanics up we will be focusing on item database and walkthroughs and guides..

So for instance you can goto official wiki and obtain information on location of quest etc, then you can visit ours and get the walkthrough..

Thanks for your input everyone this just helps us make our wikia better and more user friendly for all of you.

Again I will state we do not use adsense on our wikia and certainly not on our guild pages. The ads you do see there are from wikia itself and its one or two ads on the right side of the page.. This cannot be helped unless the community is willing to donate to remove them and turn it into an premium wikia..

Just so you know, our guild blood and our members are here run by the community for the community to help the community. We are not out to make a fast buck on anything and we do this because we love to help others and wrre a community focused guild.. Hence why our guild was the only guild to attempt a server event during beta. The founders photo op. Which went really well :)

As an example i myself have spent 14 days in a row putting all 54 pages of information up on that wikia to try to help the community.. Im not asking for a medal i only mention it because some of you seem to think we are here to make a fast buck..

• Options
    streamofsolacestreamofsolace Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't think that it is unreasonable to ask. ZAM owns the .co and Curse/PWE own the gamepedia. Both release fantastic tools for the other games for which they provide services, Wiki a just hosts user generated content.
  • Options
    bubbabinskybubbabinsky Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 161 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    The Wikia is looking fantastic already. Great contributions. I urge contributors to transfer some information from this wikia to The official Neverwinter Wiki!
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for the positive comments there matey i appreciate that but its exceptionally bad form for you to pump the official wikia and even ask people to copy our information on a thread designed to get more people to help us make our wikia better.

Not sure if yu meant this is a bad way but it made me almost fall of my chair :D

• Options
    bubbabinskybubbabinsky Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 161 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    I wasn't implying to redirect anyone from your wiki to the official. My main point was to share the knowledge. In my opinion, most people will be looking for information on an official wiki, if there is one available. At any given point, it is possible and probable that there is going to be different information on each wiki, so if the info was shared as it was posted, both could continue to grow and prosper.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    indeed thats great idea bubba, sorry im a lil tenderhooks after the battering i got a bit further up the thread lol :) I agree and Ive been in touch with the admin on the official wiki (a week ago) to pave the road and make sure this is ok both ways..

So its fine you guys copy one way or the other way, ill just say try to re-iterate it in your own words or at the very least post contribution credit in the caption of whatever yo copy :) together we can make the forgotten realms great again!

• Options
    hkiewahkiewa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 379 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for the positive comments there matey i appreciate that but its exceptionally bad form for you to pump the official wikia and even ask people to copy our information on a thread designed to get more people to help us make our wikia better.

Not sure if yu meant this is a bad way but it made me almost fall of my chair :D

You lost me here.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Well you see this is about the unofficial wikia not the official wikia hehe i should have made it clearer.. Im a little struck back that after all the hard work we have put in we got a bunch of one word replys by people who dident even read the entire OP, otherwise they would have seen there questions awnsered ..

OH and gods forbid someone wants to do something for the community and not want anything in return!! Thas just not normal!!!

Anyway, come over and take a peek its a great source of info

• Options
    stryciumstrycium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6
    edited April 2013
    argantis wrote: »
    It is really simple, advertising. They obviously must want ad $$ or they would have just joined up with the official wiki. The one Cryptic is supporting and all...

Shame on you, not everything is about money. If you're out for blood and entertainment save it for the 25th.

I'm loving all of these unofficial wikis! They're looking very good and it reflects the positivity in our community, the anticipation and the excitement! It also shows how we can work together to put a little effort in, as individuals for our community!
    Keep up the good work everyone :)
  • Options
    uxigaduruxigadur Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As part of Blood i have to say,

We are trying to focus on material that can complement the official wiki. Very likely we will work in some stuff that is of our particular interest and might not be a priority for an official project.
    We are having a no oficial wikia because it help to provide an alternative point of view in some stuf, since any wiki needs the consolidation of the information.
    For having a plataform that could help oficial wikia.
    And lastly, simply because we enjoy working on it. Games are for having fun.

If anything, we hope some people like it and say "i like it".
  • Options
    rynythrynyth Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I like it!

On a side note....these guys have been putting in literally hours of there day to get the Wiki ready with as much info as possible before the game's launch.

And I'm impressed with how quickly it's come about in the last couple of weeks. So my hat off to you and I'll get my *** back behind the desk and get writing myself finally after you log bugging me for a week to contribute *grins and takes a swig of his ale*
    Gizbyt Dat
    General good guy and healer type