test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Shard Availability on 4/30

kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So from what I'm gathering, 90% of the population are splitting basically on two shards, leaving the other one desolate ....

My question is, if everyone in my Guild has HOTN, and all the HOTNs and Guardians flock to these two shards, is it possible I wont be able to join them, because I can only start on the 30th?

Thanks in advance.
Post edited by kimmurieloblodra on

Comments

• elderock67elderock67 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Anything is possible in dungeons and dragons! But I'm sure you will be able to join them, there may be wait time to log in though.
  • berserkerkitten8berserkerkitten8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    May I ask what you base these observations on? A bunch of forum threads? I don't believe there are anywhere near enough people with founders packs out there to fill up one, let alone two shards and leave a third one completely deserted. I really wouldn't get too alarmed. Besides, once the initial new game surge dies down, all the shards will be combined into one, anyway. :)
    They're not called respect tokens...
  • kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    May I ask what you base these observations on? A bunch of forum threads? I don't believe there are anywhere near enough people with founders packs out there to fill up one, let alone two shards and leave a third one completely deserted. I really wouldn't get too alarmed. Besides, once the initial new game surge dies down, all the shards will be combined into one, anyway. :)

I'm basing it on the fact that everyone is going to Dragon or Mindflayer.

May I ask you what you are basing your observations on? Plain assumptions? How do YOU know how many founders packs have been sold? How do YOU know what PWE's servers can handle?
  • aralixaralix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 45
    edited April 2013
    regardless of what the forums themselves show the actual populace will be different due to the fraction of the player base that forums typically represent
    large guilds are more likely to be predicted/shown on the forums due to their planning beforehand
    The truth will EAT you!
    328894f9-2005-4d27-a221-67ec37aa20f9_zpse7d8f150.jpg
  • berserkerkitten8berserkerkitten8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm basing it on the fact that everyone is going to Dragon or Mindflayer.

May I ask you what you are basing your observations on? Plain assumptions? How do YOU know how many founders packs have been sold? How do YOU know what PWE's servers can handle?

Who is this everyone you're referring to, if I may ask? And how is it a fact that everyone is only playing on these two shards? Once again - based on what? 100 or so people on the forums saying they're playing there? The vast majority of people joining on or after the 30th don't ever post on here. The 4th beta weekend alone had over 20,000 players. Did they all post on here and say they're exclusively playing on Dragon and Mindflayer?
  • kimmurieloblodrakimmurieloblodra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'd rather talk to a brick wall.

/thread
  • doowie1982doowie1982 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 284 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    From what I've seen in all the years of playing games with dedicated servers, people always flock to the largest server.

After a few days or even the first hour or two they are sitting in large queues or they find the servers are spammed with languages after than English or something else, which they personally don't like for example.

This then normally results in people or guilds jumping to the medium or smaller population server.

They will all balance out, so there is nothing to worry about :)
    60 Dwarf Devoted Cleric
    60 Drow Trickster Rogue
    11 Elf Control Wizard

Server:
    Beholder
    Guild:
    Praetor Lupus
    Guild Website: http://www.PraetorLupus.com

Hero of the North & Guardian of Neverwinter Founder.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Beholder is looking better and Better to me :P
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • hanskisaragihanskisaragi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    it will be all merged in the end either way does not matter
    edited April 2013

/thread

Fantastic. And once you're done feeling personally insulted over everything I say for absolutely no reason, maybe chill out and stop panicking over nothing. Just because you say it's a "fact" that absolutely everyone fills up two shards and ignores the third one doesn't make it a fact. There's a whole lot of people who don't care about the guilds posting on here, who don't care about what shard they play on, they just wanna get on and play and they'll pick whatever shard they get on first. Common sense.

As for what PWE's servers can handle - STO has been using a single server without multiple shards for over three years now just fine. Will there be queues, crashes and the same initial problems you see in every MMO launch? Without a doubt. But I just don't see it happening that all your friends will end up playing on one shard and you won't be allowed in on the 30th, just because of a few people getting a headstart. And once again, it's all gonna be merged into one shard in the near future, anyway.
  • johnny305johnny305 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    These forums are kinda dead for a new game just about to be coming out. Based on that, I don't think that many people bought the $60-200 packs.

A lot did, but doubt enough to fill a server.
  • colhatickcolhatick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I actually feel like the forums are pretty active. I can refresh every 5 seconds and see a new post.
  • doowie1982doowie1982 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 284 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Beholder is looking better and Better to me :P

Indeed. Mindflayer is going to be pure crazy and the AH prices are going to be insanely high due to the larger population. Dragon is now increasing due to people finding the name cool and people seeing the ever growing amount of people going to Mindflayer and now with the RP community now confirming that Mindflayer will be there unofficial RP server.

So Beholder is the better choice for many of us that will be playing a lot and where the server community will get to know everyone after a short period of time.
    60 Dwarf Devoted Cleric
    60 Drow Trickster Rogue
    11 Elf Control Wizard

Server:
    Beholder
    Guild:
    Praetor Lupus

edited April 2013
    johnny305 wrote: »
    These forums are kinda dead for a new game just about to be coming out. Based on that, I don't think that many people bought the $60-200 packs.

If you look at the latest interviews, the final beta weekend had 20k players in it. Seeing as all the people with founders packs had guaranteed beta access, it's relatively safe to assume there won't be more than 20k founders - if that. Lots of people who weren't founders got beta keys as well, so we're probably not even close to 20,000 founders. There's no way they'd all fill up two whole shards.
    edited April 2013
    johnny305 wrote: »

It's because this game doesn't draw in the children, so there are more people buying the 60 to 200$ packs cos most of us have a job ;)
    60 Dwarf Devoted Cleric
    60 Drow Trickster Rogue
    11 Elf Control Wizard

Server:
    Beholder
    Guild:
    Praetor Lupus

• elderock67elderock67 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I ban all of you for debating this post to begin with........(<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, wrong thread)
  • ashkethashketh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 38
    edited April 2013

/thread

Of course you would. Then you wouldn't need logic to defend your point of view. Most people that make up things to support an idea would rather talk to a brick wall.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited April 2013

I bet if every single person who was in any of the four betas logged into STO over the course of an hour and stayed on together, they wouldn't cause a login queue. Neverwinter's the same technology.

The weekend is not going to be a problem, and on the 30th, most of those people are going to pick Beholder because it's first in the list.
    edited April 2013
    This is gonna make some people cringe, but I'm probably picking Dragon, just because it sounds cool. :P
    I don't have any friends with founders packs, so I don't really have anybody to join and can go where I want.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    doowie1982 wrote: »
    Indeed. Mindflayer is going to be pure crazy and the AH prices are going to be insanely high due to the larger population.

From what I understand, the AH and the Exchange will be the same for all three shards anyway, as will be the database of names. It's only temporary until the get merged and there won't be shard names.

I'll probably start on Dragon, and yes, it is solely because I like the name slightly better. :) Still a tad generic for my taste, but I played my first real MMO on an UO shard called Drachenfels (Dragon's Rock), which I loved, so there is a positive association with the name.

As for the forums being relatively quiet, I think it is because surprisingly few people seem to know about the game. Almost none of my friends that I mentioned it to had heard of it, and those are all current or former MMO players.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
    edited April 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    As for the forums being relatively quiet, I think it is because surprisingly few people seem to know about the game. Almost none of my friends that I mentioned it to had heard of it, and those are all current or former MMO players.

Most of my friends know, but most of them don't care, simply because they dislike the idea of an F2P model. :(
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Most of my friends know, but most of them don't care, simply because they dislike the idea of an F2P model. :(

Same, really. The respec token issue really made it harder to convince them, too, but I'm working on it. A few will try, eventually, but as it stands I will just play on my own for some time until I make friends within the community here. The upside, as you had mentioned, is that I have the freedom to play where and when I want, without waiting and coordinating. There's an advantage to everything! :)

(This also benefits my "I don't really know what class to start out with!" problem. I can just play two simultaneously.)
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • wolveenwolveen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    elderock67 wrote: »
    Anything is possible in dungeons and dragons! But I'm sure you will be able to join them, there may be wait time to log in though.

or PAY to get priority log in...I wonder if that is why there are only three servers? :confused:
    Also makes you wonder ... who would be able to log in first when the HotN's and Guardians are crowding up the server? haha