test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Most and least lag-friendly class?

imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
My connection is occasionally a little laggy. Nothing major, but 50ms can sometimes become 300ms for a bit, which does cause lag. Manageable lag, but lag nonetheless. :)

In your experience, which of the current classes handles lag or lag spikes the best, and which the least? (In a PvE group setting at least.)
Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
Post edited by imivo on

Comments

• rabbinicusrabbinicus Member Posts: 1,822 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Guardian Fighter would be the best, because you have the best chance or surviving a hit or two while lagged.

Trickster Rogue might be the worst, because some hard hits shred them like cole slaw.
    The right to command is earned through duty, the privilege of rank is service.

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    cleric. Especially at high levels. If you build it proper, it takes minutes to take them down as every damage heals HP to them.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    cleric. Especially at high levels. If you build it proper, it takes minutes to take them down as every damage heals HP to them.

Won't lag be a problem when you are the healer in, say, a heroic dungeon? I haven't healed in a higher level dungeon in NW, so this is very theoretical on my part and I don't know how quickly people go down, but in other MMOs where I healed, reaction time did matter in more difficult content.
  • licourtrix1licourtrix1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 232 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    Won't lag be a problem when you are the healer in, say, a heroic dungeon? I haven't healed in a higher level dungeon in NW, so this is very theoretical on my part and I don't know how quickly people go down, but in other MMOs where I healed, reaction time did matter in more difficult content.

No way to know that yet, but guardian fighter is probably safest, followed by the GWF, then cleric imo.
    How much do clothes cost in the Matrix?
  • leissesleisses Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think GF is not a good option for a lag connection since you`ll have to work hard on Blocks. GWF has a good survivability and can be useful in a team even with some lag.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The heals in this game do not matter a lot, just a bit. Unless you PvP, people will need potions or out of battle healing only.
    leisses wrote: »
    I think GF is not a good option for a lag connection since you`ll have to work hard on Blocks. GWF has a good survivability and can be useful in a team even with some lag.
    The problem with GF is that shield needs to be up at the right moment. Lag in that and GF takes damage continously.
  • raal1raal1 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Spikes to 300ms won't get you killed on any class. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • ghoward96ghoward96 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    raal1 wrote: »
    Spikes to 300ms won't get you killed on any class. I wouldn't worry about it.

For MMOs you are right, but don't tell me the same for an FPS like BF3
  • beardyalebellybeardyalebelly Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 48
    edited April 2013
    ghoward96 wrote: »
    For MMOs you are right, but don't tell me the same for an FPS like BF3

He didn't...unless you're seeing some invisible words appear, in which case you may want to seek psychiatric help.
    BEARDY
    -= Dark Star Syndicate - Heavy RP, Dark Themes =-
    Website Recruitment
  • unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013

"Healing" in Neverwinter is better thought of as "Damage Mitigation." It far more proactive than it is reactionary which reduces the effects of lag significantly.

Forgemaster's Flame cast in divinity mode and Astral Seal are two of the primary heals it seems. FF is cast on CD as long as there's a mob around that won't die before the ticks finish and AS is just cast it on everything and maintain.

Cleric's really don't have any reactionary spike heals that lag would interfere with. If someone is on like 10% health the only person that can save them is themselves with a potion and positioning. You can heal them up slowly once they are safe and reduce the damage in the first place but you just don't have the ability to instantly save someone after things go wrong. Which is fair because they're the one who got hit by something they shouldn't have.

Things may change a bit at later levels (50-60) but it won't suddenly make cleric healing reactionary instead of proactive and damage prevention/mitigation oriented abilities.
  • ghoward96ghoward96 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    He didn't...unless you're seeing some invisible words appear, in which case you may want to seek psychiatric help.

I am just preventing....
  • zzyatpwzzyatpw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 55
    edited April 2013
    i would say the best/worst depends on your concern.

if u are concerning solo lving, since theres no one tanking for u, GF with the best def should be best when lag. it's true theres some tank companions could hold the threat but as i remembered they could only hold 1 while mobs usually come as group of 4-5.

but if u are concerning dungeons, i would say CW best when lag. bcs dungeons mobs atk players who generate more threat. if the mob casts non-threat-concerning-aoe then everyone has the same chance to be hit. but except that, a ranged dps would be most safe. since u are lag, so your atk would be insufficient which lead a relatively lower threat compared to other players. so mobs wont atk u.
  • vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I think you would be ok with just about any class at 300 ms. I played a GF at bit every bwe with an average latency of 40 ms and yet you had to have your shield up early for attacks due to the calculations on their end (I believe), or you got hit. It is one of the things you get used to, but does bother me. I had no issues with the other classes and their mitigation mechanic (as long as my toon was out of the area of affect).

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg
  • adozuadozu Member Posts: 477 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    the game developers wanted to focus the combat on being very active and mobile during fights (rooting being part of having to be active, as you need to actually decide between attacking or changing position rahter than be able to do both). as such every class will suffer lag in my opinion with ranged classes being less affected by it just because of the chanche no enemies were close.
  • kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited April 2013
    I would say the Cleric loaded with his AOE damage/heal spells and GF using block mode, he can attack while blocking are the safest classes vs lag spikes.
  • psendaronpsendaron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    Any ranged class would be hit the hardest by lag-issues I figure. Standing in close combat with several opponents surrounding you you're bound to hit something but targeting magic missiles at a distance during lag can be quite a challenge I imagine. I've had some lagging issues earlier on (pre-patch 30) and found all i could do was use stealth, go in, hit a few, use powers, roll out run around till powers recharge and repeat. It wasn't the prettiest of fights I had during my lagging trouble and I can only imagine how f***ed up it must have looked for anyone passing by. At some point I was probably hammering away in thin air.
    "Don't change colour to match the walls.
    Look like you belong and the walls will change colour to match you."

- Kender Proverb
  • burninator42burninator42 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Playing from Australia I have 300+ms ping all the time.

GF is probably worst because trying to block an incoming special is almost impossible. By the time you see the red outline and hit Shift the server has already decided you got hit regardless of what you see on screen. To the point where if you are currently blocking and see them launch a big hit, you can drop block and attack because the server has already decided you block. There is a complete desynch between what you see and what actually happens.

GWF is probably next worse because sprint seems to suffer more than dodge in lag.
    Rogue next but overall fairly close to GWF.

Cleric and Wizard feel the most forgiving to high latency.

Melee characters almost make me bash my keyboard in frustration at the annoying situations that latency (and abilities that pin your character to a spot, whoever though that was a valid combat mechanic needs their head read) will cause. I get some of the same in the casters but far far less often.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I had posted the thread a month ago, and I got to collect some first hand experiences since then. :)

I pretty much agree with burninator42's observations. Blocking with the GF was fine for me until they (correctly) switched it from client-side to server-side, so now the latency does make it hard. I notice this mostly in PvP where it is almost impossible to block anything in time, because by the time you see it, it already happened, and by the time the block command is registered, the damage is already applied. It is the right way of handling blocking (server-side), but yes, latency affects it more severely than any other ability in the game. It is better in PvE, at least for me (180-200ms, this may be different at 300+ms), because the attack animation of mobs (which are also more stationary) are telling.

I found the wizard to work well for me (I have two of those), partly because of how blink/teleport works. It moves you from location A to B without any travel time, so even if I see the red marker late due to latency, it just takes one key press (or in my case: mousewheel-up movement) to get out of that area. The Cleric would be second best, but due to how healing aggro works at the moment, the class has to always be on the move, which is harder if latency causes rubberbanding or makes you be in a different place than you see yourself on the screen.

My experience with the GWF and the TR are similar. They are playable, the GWF more so than he TR, with lag, but sprinting or rolling out of "stuff" takes longer than with the CW. PvP with the TR is difficult with latency because players don't really stand still. :)

All in all, I feel that the CW is the class that is least impacted by lag. I can do PvE and PvP fine with mine, and the range makes being in the exact right place and reacting at the exact time a little less required.