test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mac?

zeppekizeppeki Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
edited June 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I was wondering if mac users are able to play this aswell. I know there's not a mac download but is there another program that you could install a windows progam into a mac like program of the sort. Trying to get my fiance to join me in this epic crusade, any help would be greatly obliged.
Post edited by zeppeki on

Comments

• mandodo69mandodo69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 6
    edited April 2013
    The urge to put up a meme is killing me right now!
  • qryzelqryzel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There is a Program called "Wine" it ports games to MAC. I would check it out, I used it to play LOTRO, and other PC games when I had a MAC
  • blowchunksblowchunks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 81
    edited April 2013
    BOOTCAMP!
    Your Mac comes with it. I have the 27 inch Mac, and have bootcamped Win7 on it to play.
    And it does work...
  • cantonmudfarmscantonmudfarms Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There is this thing called windows.. its what people who don't just use computers for graphic design and looking up the nearest coffee shop have.
  • doowie1982doowie1982 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 284 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Yeap as many have mentioned, this is something where bootcamp will need to be used for those who are using a mac. The game currently only made for PCs and there is no information to confirm if a mac version is being created.
    60 Dwarf Devoted Cleric
    60 Drow Trickster Rogue
    11 Elf Control Wizard

Server:
    Beholder
    Guild:
    Praetor Lupus
    Guild Website: http://www.PraetorLupus.com

Hero of the North & Guardian of Neverwinter Founder.
  • soulwarrior78soulwarrior78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 541 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    A dev already answered this in another thread where someone was asking about a Mac client:
    A bit of work has been done to ensure that our engine runs under WINE, but this isn't the kind of thing we officially support.

I recommend looking into the Star Trek Online and Champions Online threads related to running the game on Mac/Linux with WINE:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=76799
    http://forums.champions-online.com/showthread.php?t=113710
  • leomutretaleomutreta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think bootcamp is the safest way. "Emulating" using Wine can work but can be tricky sometimes, and since theres no official support, things could go downhill between patches pretty easilly.
  • lordoffilinglordoffiling Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My wife games with me using her Mac. First of all, do *not* listen to the smacktards who seem to live to trash on Mac. They work just fine for gaming if you've purchased a model with a graphics card in it. The problem isn't that they aren't good gaming machines, the problem is that no games get released for them.

So, you'll probably want to do what wife does: Roll an installation of Windows 7 using Bootcamp. Mac comes with this software and it works great because the operating system is *not* being emulated in any way. You can try your luck getting it to run in a WINE bottle but if you really want to squeeze every drop of performance out of the machine, go Bootcamp.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    I trash macs because I loath everything about them. It's nothing to do with their capabilities and everything to do with...them being them, haha.
    The price point. The lack of flexibility. The fact so many Mac users don't understand macs CAN get viruses. Like video games viruses just aren't often made for them.

But that's the extent of my down with Macs rant.

I do know Cryptic has always tries to support WINE. I guess it depends what you define as "Official" support but the game should work in WINE.
    I am not sure what bootcamp is, how it works or if it's compatible. I know nothing about Mac's beyond the fact I hated every second I used one in school but if bootcamp makes your Mac a PC it should be fine.

Either way I'm afraid your Mac will have to be a Windows to play. It's not easy or cheap to program two different games at the same time. :(
  • taeryltaeryl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited April 2013
    Personally, I've also thought brand/product hate was silly unless it was actually based on a consumer experience...

I started out as a PC user and built PCs (primarily gaming PCs) for over 10 years, but a couple years ago I moved to a Mac. My decision to do so at the time was because I wanted to become versed in more OSes and Mac was a good option at the time since it still allowed me to run Windows via bootcamp. Since I switched to Mac I have become a fan (not fanboi) and find myself using Windows less and less. As for the hate, I will just say that there is plenty of ignorance from both sides and most of it is silly.

I will be running NWO on my Mac either via Bootcamp or Parallels (Virtual Machine). Most people will not recommend using a VM due to the performance hit, but my Mac is spec'd pretty well and it allows me to allocate more resources to Parallels and so far I have been able to run some fairly new games w/o any performance issues. I have not tested it on NWO yet since I was unable to participate in Beta, but will give it a shot once I get to play OB. Wine is another option that has been mentioned, but I haven't seen any NWO wrappers out there yet, but i'm sure we will start to see some in the coming weeks. I don't have much experience in creating Wine wrappers, but have used some pre-made ones for other games that have worked quite well.
  • antfresantfres Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    my imac ran NWO with Parallels ok on med settings and it has a nvidia 640m card in it. I bootcamp it with windows 7 and I can bump the graphics to high.
  • blowchunksblowchunks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 81
    edited April 2013
    For those that need more info and specs about Bootcamp on their Mac, have a look here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1461
  • taeryltaeryl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited April 2013
    antfres wrote: »
    my imac ran NWO with Parallels ok on med settings and it has a nvidia 640m card in it. I bootcamp it with windows 7 and I can bump the graphics to high.

That sounds about right.

My iMac is a 2012 model with the nVidia 680MX. I usually have my Parallels setup with 4 CPU cores, 12GB RAM (32GB total), and 1GB GPU (2GB Total) and have been able to run Skyrim, Defiance, and SWTOR on MED to High settings depending on the game.

I usually do Parallels for quick gaming sessions so I don't have to boot and reboot after, but longer game sessions are done in Bootcamp.
  • antfresantfres Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    taeryl wrote: »
    That sounds about right.

My iMac is a 2012 model with the nVidia 680MX. I usually have my Parallels setup with 4 CPU cores, 12GB RAM (32GB total), and 1GB GPU (2GB Total) and have been able to run Skyrim, Defiance, and SWTOR on MED to High settings depending on the game.

I usually do Parallels for quick gaming sessions so I don't have to boot and reboot after, but longer game sessions are done in Bootcamp.

I'm installing wine and going to test STO client and see how that runs under wine and then hopefully a wine skin comes out for NWO. I hate having to reboot evertime i want to play a game.
  • brindy666brindy666 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I trash macs because I loath everything about them. It's nothing to do with their capabilities and everything to do with...them being them, haha.
    The price point. The lack of flexibility. The fact so many Mac users don't understand macs CAN get viruses. Like video games viruses just aren't often made for them.

But that's the extent of my down with Macs rant.

I do know Cryptic has always tries to support WINE. I guess it depends what you define as "Official" support but the game should work in WINE.
    I am not sure what bootcamp is, how it works or if it's compatible. I know nothing about Mac's beyond the fact I hated every second I used one in school but if bootcamp makes your Mac a PC it should be fine.

Either way I'm afraid your Mac will have to be a Windows to play. It's not easy or cheap to program two different games at the same time. :(

This post is both disrespectful and ill-formed and usually I would just ignore such blatant trolling. However, a "community moderator" should know better. Bad show!

I'm running Neverwinter on my Macs (Mac Book Pro and iMac) using "PlayOnMac". It's not perfect, but the game runs and looks great.
  • brindy666brindy666 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Here's a write up of how I got it running with PlayOnMac. It seems quite long, but actually it's quite straight forward.

https://plus.google.com/110959460526088867768/posts/3UEuuwm5y4a
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    All current MACs use regular X86 hardware... so putting time and resources into making a MAC port is kinda pointless - your hardware can already run Windows, so either install that or use an emulator.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • antvantv Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I have been playing neverwinter on my 24" iMac for almost a month through the port made by the porting team with absolutely no issue.
    I also tried it through wine, crossover and parallels.
    From those options wine worked the best and crossover the worst.
    Bootcamp is always an option, but if you we're willing to use bootcamp, you wouldn't look in the forums for options.
    For those interested, you can download the port here
  • edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    brindy666 wrote: »
    This post is both disrespectful and ill-formed and usually I would just ignore such blatant trolling. However, a "community moderator" should know better. Bad show!

I'm running Neverwinter on my Macs (Mac Book Pro and iMac) using "PlayOnMac". It's not perfect, but the game runs and looks great.

Nice necro dude, although I have seen better.
  • judgemonroejudgemonroe Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    "Will there be a Mac version?" is a question you're going to see asked of every major game release from here on out; Mac "haters" had better get used to it.

What's real interesting is how PC, Mac, and the next generation Playstation and XBox platform are all x86-based. Cross-platform development is going to be more common, not less -- and expectations from the pool of potential buyers and players are going to match.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited June 2013
    brindy666 wrote: »

My apologies. My opinions are my own and I promise you I can spend hours listing in detail why all Mac Computers should be thrown into the trash heap and that most of the reasons to support Macs are simply ill-informed misconceptions.
    Trust me I held back.

Cryptic supports WINE and the game should be, for the most part, compatible. CrypticCliff is the primary staff member who works on Mac Compatability so if you look up his posts you should have some more up to date information on that.

There are no plans to make a Mac Client because of the reasons I stated. It's not a simple task and it wouldn't be cheap at all. OS Developers are finally realizing if they want to compete they need to make compatibility a primary focus because at the end of the day companies simply can't afford to develop software for each and every single system.

But in the mean time Mac users have WINE and Bootcamp.
  • zioredziored Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    ambisinisterr thank you for your "clever" information about your own (and Cryptic's own) point of view about Mac and cross-platforms, so this is just another game I'm forced to drop... very bad news, not for us who can perfectly live without your game, but for you who will not have my (and many others) money because of a purely formal and inconsistent own reason.

I would like to thank your studios to leave all the mac and linux players to us indie gamedevs, unfortunately there's already some big names who're becoming more clever and are releasing great cross-platforms games (Diablo3, GuildWars2, D&D online, etc) but at least they're few for now so we will have more time to acquire new customers :)

Oh and by the way, just in case you don't know, luckily your opinion is just false and a company who wants can perfectly write cross-platform games by using OpenGL2-3-4 on non-Windows systems (idk if you know OpenGL and its state of art, it's just as awesome as DirectX and it is exactly what we indies use to make happy ALL the players and not only a part of them), it's just the will or laziness missing ;)

PS: play yourself on WINE (I won't get my Mac dirty with that filth) or bootcamp (do you really expect a Mac player be happy to reboot only to play a game?).

Thank you, farewell.
    Francesco Crocetti aka ZioRed
    Senior Software, Web and Game Programmer
    Skared Creations ~ http://skaredcreations.com