test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Attributes below 10

derresshderressh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
edited April 2013 in PvE Discussion
So, it's been said time and time again that you gain +x% something for every point above 10 you have in an attribute.

What if you roll below a 10 on a stat? For example, if I rolled a 9 on CON for my CW, would he have -2% health? Or would it be no different than 10 points and have +/-0% health?

Probably a simple question, but I haven't played PnP in several years, so I don't recall how it works exactly.
Post edited by derressh on

Comments

• quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    PnP is no guide on this. If you want answers on how mechanics in Neverwinter work, never look at PnP mechanics. They are never alike.

So, naturally unlike PnP, where an 8 or 9 gives you a -1 mod, 8s and 9s in Neverwinter are exactly the same as 10s. There are no penalties from low stats.
  • kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited April 2013
    ^ Yep ideally you only want your junk stats to be below 10 so you get 12 in all the good stuff. You get two +1 to all stats from levelling. I wish I could drop the junk stats to the D&D minimum and place the points in the more useful stats..
  • chrysooochrysooo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 42
    edited April 2013
    since you get +2 or 3? to all attributes while leveling it doesnt really matter, at maxlevel you cant be below 10
  • zardoz007zardoz007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    We need more variations in the Stat generator. While I dont want to see people buy down all there stats to Min/Max value. Putting a stat of 6 in the random generator rolls will make for one Stat that will never hit double digits by level 60. And I think those 6 Str Wizards, or the 6 Wisdom Rogues and 6 Intelligence Fighters always make me laugh as a player. It adds something to rollplaying.
  • richardseatonrichardseaton Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 87
    edited April 2013
    zardoz007 wrote: »
    We need more variations in the Stat generator. While I dont want to see people buy down all there stats to Min/Max value. Putting a stat of 6 in the random generator rolls will make for one Stat that will never hit double digits by level 60. And I think those 6 Str Wizards, or the 6 Wisdom Rogues and 6 Intelligence Fighters always make me laugh as a player. It adds something to rollplaying.

They would have to put back penalties for the low stats for a stat buy system to work. I don't know why the current system was chosen. Hopefully, PW has a logical reason.
  • streamofsolacestreamofsolace Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    They would have to put back penalties for the low stats for a stat buy system to work. I don't know why the current system was chosen. Hopefully, PW has a logical reason.

In D&D, for point buy/arrays attribute allocation systems you are allowed one only attribute below 10 and it has a penalty (though it can be fairly trivial depending on how you want your character to play). The penalty wasn't significant enough to make it undesirable with proper planning, which is why they also have a limit on the number of attributes you can tank.

In the MMO, there isn't even a penalty.

If actually rolling a character in D&D, you could have multiple tanked attributes, but there was a range of character power you had to be in for the character to be valid.

Increasing the number of choices at that point in the game just increases the options by which a person can irrevocably ruin their character at the time when they know the least about its playstyle and mechanics.

Finally, to clarify: The attributes it "generates" are not random; it randomly selects from a set of possible attribute arrays for your class.