test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A question regarding game purchase.

costas555costas555 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello everyone! I've seen the work done in NWO and I think I finally found an mmo that "clicks" with me. One question I have is this. Since I don't like bothering with small purchasing transactions, suck as character slots etc etc, will there be an option to buy the whole game? Like, let's say give X euros and get all the "purchasable" content like slots, unlimited respecs and inventory space. You know, like buying the game in a retail price.

Thank you for your time and sorry if I posted sth already discussed.
Post edited by costas555 on

Comments

• richardseatonrichardseaton Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 87
    edited April 2013
    No there isn't. Some are requesting a monthly subscription but probably not going to happen. Check this out.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?138991-Can-we-get-a-monthly-sub-option
  • costas555costas555 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ty for your reply. I'll definitely check it out! :D
  • mutley1984mutley1984 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 159 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    On the other hand $200 worth of zen should get you most of what they have to offer in the zen store, and will last a **** long time if you're careful with it. $100 will get you a level 3 mount, a purp companion, a 24slot bag, and an adventures starter pack (xp boost, healthstone etc)
    edited April 2013
    True, but 200$ is A LOT of money (for me at least). I would prefer something like the Guildwars model. You pay 60 to get the whole thing and anything more you want you can buy it in the store with more money.
  • jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You dont have to pay anything. Really there is nothing to buy for this game. All items are optional.

To comment on the GW2 thing, you can buy the Guardian package and get a good amount of items you'd probably want anyways.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

Ability Scores || All Attribute Roll Combinations || My Cleric Stream \o/
    edited April 2013
    to be honest with you I was kindda alarmed by a comment a reviewer made (Force Strategy Gaming) about the respecs. He said that to do so, you have to pay for it and it got me a bit worried. Other than that I think you're right.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited April 2013
    costas555 wrote: »
    to be honest with you I was kindda alarmed by a comment a reviewer made (Force Strategy Gaming) about the respecs. He said that to do so, you have to pay for it and it got me a bit worried. Other than that I think you're right.

Yes, respecs cost money. We don't know how many free ones we'll also get, and we don't know when a multiple-build system will be added.

HOWEVER, you will find that (and Force hadn't played enough to really see this yet) due to the small number of powers you can have slotted at any one time, and the large number of points you have to spend, you can fill a couple of roles by merely pulling up your Powers tab and shifting things around on your bar. So you will be able to make an effective PvP build and PvE build, say, or a soloing build and a grouping build, or an AoE and Single Target build. You've got a lot of options; a respec is something you're likely to only need to do once in a great while per character.

And in the end, you're still not paying $15/month just to have access to the character, so who cares if every once in a while you have to spend $5 to respec it?
    edited April 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    Yes, respecs cost money. We don't know how many free ones we'll also get, and we don't know when a multiple-build system will be added.

HOWEVER, you will find that (and Force hadn't played enough to really see this yet) due to the small number of powers you can have slotted at any one time, and the large number of points you have to spend, you can fill a couple of roles by merely pulling up your Powers tab and shifting things around on your bar. So you will be able to make an effective PvP build and PvE build, say, or a soloing build and a grouping build, or an AoE and Single Target build. You've got a lot of options; a respec is something you're likely to only need to do once in a great while per character.

And in the end, you're still not paying $15/month just to have access to the character, so who cares if every once in a while you have to spend $5 to respec it?

Good point, ty for clearing that up!
  • jetahjetah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Look over the Guardian pack or the Hero pack. These 2 packs include many items an average person would purchase while playing (just all up front). Mount, companion, respec token, 12 slot bag (hero only but there are some for zen), Zen, character slots.

i feel as though the Guardian pack has the best value (not determined via the listed value) for money.
    Open the Launcher. Click Options near the top. Check Disable on-demand patching. This will download another couple of gigs.

• ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Just to reiterate the only thing you really want/need to pay for is additional character slots and bags.

Everything else is really a cosmetic or convenience. Some people are really upset they're selling health stones but I have played through both beta and alpha and never felt bad no having one.

On the point about respects I look at it in the sense that it takes roughly 60 hours to reach 60. Whether you start over, pay the fives bucks or pay in AD (transferred for Zen) you're not too bad off. I have played many games which didn't even allow respecs. If I was in charge I wouldn't (which is why I'm not in charge)

So in my most humble opinion I think these complaints will diminish once people get their hands on the full on game. I haven't ever experienced the feeling I need to pay to get anything in the game.

There's no way to buy everything but in truth there's no way to buy everything in GW2. Virtually the only difference between GW2 and Neverwinter is that you paid 60 dollars and got access to a bunch of character slots whereas Neverwinter is free but only 2 character slots. Throw in 60 dollars and you'll get 14 slots to play with! :D
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I have played many games which didn't even allow respecs. If I was in charge I wouldn't (which is why I'm not in charge)

It really only makes people look up guides instead of trying out individual builds, or creates situations where people painfully crawl through a game while not spending any of their skill/stat points in fear of making a mistake. :) Though I admit, not being able to respec characters back in Diablo 2 led to many extra hours of playing and enjoying the game, partly because it was something that convinced me of playing in hardcore mode (where characters were deleted when they got killed). But that was thirteen years ago and that's how games were then and everyone was used to it. I couldn't respec in UO either (in 1997), and if you wanted to change a skill, you had to start using the new one while the old one slowly decreased from disuse.

But I think "no respec" really doesn't work well in MMOs where balancing patches can have significant impact on builds or where people want to try out different things without having to restart every few days (gives a feeling of not getting anywhere and running in circles). The ability to respec has definitely become a standard feature that most people expect in their MMOs.

Anyway, respecs being sold through the store is virtually my only concern (too strong a word) with NW. I hope we'll get some free ones (outside of the packs) or something like a free respec every x days. It would also be a good gold sink.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is the first game Cryptic has made after Perfect World took over. Cryptic gave their other games a lifetime subscription option. Which is the reason why Cryptic's other games have subs and this one doesn't. If there was no lifetime option in those games, then everyone in all their MMOs would be F2P. Perfect World is all about all content is free so no game that will be developed by one of their development teams will be subscription based.

If you want to limit the amount of purchases you make, then you can transfer a few hundred zen to the game. Buy a bunch of character slots, then buy whatever you want through the ingame store. It only takes a few seconds to buy anything in the game.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Like I said, that's why I'm not in charge.
    I would be just as happy if respecs didn't exist. I would be happy if games didn't come with magic erasers.

But they are here. If they cost money, so be it. From my very old point of view they shouldn't be here at all so the fact they are is a blessing. I can't change their cost any more than any player but if I could I would make them a million dollars. ;)

That's my uncensored point of view opinion. :p

However let's address this a bit more rationally. Let's say they charge AD to respec. There's absolutely no difference than paying in AD or Zen. AD have a Zen value at any given time so even if they charged you in AD you would still be spending the same Astral Diamond's worth of Zen.

Argue the pricing all you want. Say you want it lower. But at the end of the day you never have to buy Zen. And buying something with Astral Diamonds doesn't magically make it not cost Zen.

It's really like stating it's better to pay in dollar coins rather than dollar bills.
  • elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    No there isn't. Some are requesting a monthly subscription but probably not going to happen. Check this out.

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?138991-Can-we-get-a-monthly-sub-option

I thought it was going to follow the same model as STO, where you can play for free or start a subscription and the sub gets you more things then free to play gets you...I guess I was wrong again.
    edited April 2013
    This game was built from the ground up (minus the client) to be completely free to play. no sub, no pay for content, no pay for new classes (which can be argued by needing new character slots). it will be funded fully by the zen shop and Founders' Packs.

I'll still suggest you get the Guardian of Neverwinter pack if you want to 'purchase' something.

• imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Argue the pricing all you want. Say you want it lower. But at the end of the day you never have to buy Zen.

It's not really an argument, just a discussion. :) It doesn't really affect me personally, so my emotional investment is not overly developed. I get a couple tokens with the packages and I don't mind spending $5 here and there, so I'm set. But I do understand why some posters feel that charging for respecs may go beyond the "pay only for convenience and vanity stuff" claim. You're right that in the end it IS a convenience feature because you can just restart your character over and over, but it strikes me as a bit of an academical way of thinking that is removed from how people play MMOs today.

My concern is selfish, really: I want Neverwinter to succeed because it's the only MMORPG released since 2004 that actually seems to appeal to me. I don't care if it's f2p, sub-based, b2p. I care that it is well designed and has the features and attributes that I value in a MMORPG. Playing a MMO heavily depends on there being other people to play with, though. Charging for respecs may, I feel, be a needless turn-off for people who come over from established MMOs, because it's as basic as having chat features.

This is what my concern is based on, and I may of course be completely off. It happens frequently! ;) (e.g. I don't see it as a major enough source of potential revenue to justify the negativity it may cause, and prefer cash store stuff that people will buy because they WANT it and it makes them happy, not because they feel forced to. But that is just one possible view, I have no numbers and PW has far more experience with cash stores in MMORPGs; my professional background is social spaces and communities, not game-y games.)
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited April 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    My concern is selfish, really: I want Neverwinter to succeed because it's the only MMORPG released since 2004 that actually seems to appeal to me. I don't care if it's f2p, sub-based, b2p. I care that it is well designed and has the features and attributes that I value in a MMORPG. Playing a MMO heavily depends on there being other people to play with, though. Charging for respecs may, I feel, be a needless turn-off for people who come over from established MMOs, because it's as basic as having chat features.

Those established MMOs charge for respecs, too. WoW, for instance, charges $15/month for them, whether you use them or not.
    edited April 2013
    On top of what syberghost stated many P2P MMO's charge $10-20 for respeccing in addition to the subscription fee.

That being said it is a luxury and Cryptic has a past record of giving free respects after major content changes. Most of the people, such as yourself, are looking at things from the wrong perspective. Truly you pay for respecs in every MMO.

And one major, major difference is this is D&D. Other MMO's have their own deals going on but respecs aren't tossed around in the D&D playerbase. I think my years of playing D&D is what put me into this 'every action has a consequence' mindset. So sadly this game has to find the middleground compromise somewhere.

It's an MMO but it's supposed to be D&D. And many D&D Players consider respec'ing a sin. There's no way, as a D&D MMO, I can agree that respecs should be done left and right. That utterly defeats the purpose of building a character in D&D.

But that's really not what this thread is about...the thread is about the worry that some things might cost money. Yes some things will.
    A large majority will be cosmetic. Many others will be convenience (luxury if you will) items.
    But all in all you can enjoy this game from beginning to end without paying a cent. You will earn enough AD from playing that you will be able to get a charatcer decently fleshed out without spending money and a lot of products purchased such as mounts are account wide.

Yes respecs will cost money but Cryptic has a track record of being very giving with them upon major content changes. As long as you aren't trying to make the perfect of perfect characters you really shouldn't be respec'ing all that much. I didn't feel like I gimped any characters so in my most humble opinion the fears will dissipate in time.

Respecs are here for the luxury and convenience but they are not required. If I have to buy a single one I'll be shocked. :)
    edited April 2013
    The WoW example is a little peculiar, though, because if we apply that logic, every single aspect of Neverwinter could be charged for. Why not $1 for each whisper message? WoW charges you for that, too, even if you never whisper another player -- and you can just talk on the screen anyway! Joining a PvP area? Sure, $2, WoW charges you for that too, even if you never do any PvP. Perhaps $3 for every dungeon visit after the first, because WoW charges you for that as well, and really, why not just make another character if you want to see a dungeon again? Sounds silly? Of course, I tried hard! Respeccing falls in a similar category for me, especially at $5 for each.

But that is just my view and really, I feel like I'm disagreeing with people who are fundamentally in the same opinion camp as me, which is barking at the wrong tree. :) Plus, I don't mind paying $5 here and there. If that mattered, I'd not have bought the packs -- still, I see where folks are coming from and why this is controversial. But anyway, I just saw the new threads on this topic. Hadn't seen those before, so this is probably more on-topic in one of those.

As for this topic here, I prefer this model over one where you lose access to everything you paid and "worked" for if you stop paying. In the long run this is rather oppressive and fun-killing. So, PW's model is a superior approach that I think is more consumer-friendly. I used to have a slightly different take on this, but after sixteen years of paying subs for MMOs and seeing what it left me with at the end (where I can't even hop on a game to say Hi to old friends unless I subscribe again), my perspective shifted a little.
    edited April 2013

well i decided to not post because it would derail the top.

I will say that if the OP is worried about respec that both Founders' packs have respec tokens in them. aside from that, you could just play on the 30th and see if it's worth it to you to buy either pack (assuming they are changed on the 1st or some time AFTER Open Beta).

• abaddonxkabaddonxk Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And one major, major difference is this is D&D. Other MMO's have their own deals going on but respecs aren't tossed around in the D&D playerbase. I think my years of playing D&D is what put me into this 'every action has a consequence' mindset. So sadly this game has to find the middleground compromise somewhere.

It's an MMO but it's supposed to be D&D. And many D&D Players consider respec'ing a sin. There's no way, as a D&D MMO, I can agree that respecs should be done left and right. That utterly defeats the purpose of building a character in D&D.

That would make sense... if this game had D&D-style character building.