test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which race is better?

master4evermaster4ever Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited April 2013 in The Temple
Which is the best race for a Devoted Cleric?
In my opinion: Half elf, then Dwarf and Human.
Post edited by master4ever on

Comments

• mrvukmrvuk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 396 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I'd go with Dwarf, half-elf, then human. I think the dwarf "stand your ground" and "cast iron stomach" comes in handy. Just my opinion.
  • streamofsolacestreamofsolace Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Human by a large margin in PvE.

Tiefling approaches human IF you assume that there will be no rebalancing of Wisdom/Power versus Charisma/Intelligence/Recharge Speed. However, I do expect a rebalancing, simply because Recharge is so good and the stated primary Ability Score is supposed to be Wisdom. In general, when the balance team makes sweeping statements about a class' goal (high Wisdom), if mechanics go against those statements mechanics change.

I expect Halfling or Dwarf will prove to be the best in PvP, but the Human feat advantage should keep them competitive. If raiding is implemented and has a proper risk/reward ratio, Humans may be slightly better in PvP simply due to being better geared.

My plan is to go Human with an array of [Wisdom 18] [Charisma 13] [Strength 13] [Constitution 10] [Intelligence 10] [Dexterity 8].
    I will put my +2 Ability Score into Wisdom, but all of my Ability Score points from leveling will go into Charisma and Strength.

Reasoning: Character reset tokens apply only to choices made AFTER character creation (per text on item), so I cannot use one to "fix" my choice of array or initial Ability Score bonus; however, I can use it to "fix" my Ability Score points from leveling. Therefore, at character creation I will make choices based on how I expect the game to play out in the long-term, but while leveling I will make choices based on the present state of the game.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Any race I choose to play at a given time is the best.
  • vornado71vornado71 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 67
    edited April 2013

Tiefling approaches human IF you assume that there will be no rebalancing of Wisdom/Power versus Charisma/Intelligence/Recharge Speed. However, I do expect a rebalancing, simply because Recharge is so good and the stated primary Ability Score is supposed to be Wisdom. In general, when the balance team makes sweeping statements about a class' goal (high Wisdom), if mechanics go against those statements mechanics change.

Interesting viewpoint. Do you really think they will make that type of change (pretty monumental in my book) this late in the game? I really think that the attribute point system is the foundation for your game. Something that never changes, or if changed it would be early in Alpha stage. It is unlikely the Devs are unaware of how power vs recovery is scaling. Ofcourse getting any response from a Dev is out of the question.

Now you have got me thinking hard about going human too!! Dang you, I was all set to go Tiefling!
  • richardseatonrichardseaton Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 87
    edited April 2013

I expect Halfling or Dwarf will prove to be the best in PvP, but the Human feat advantage should keep them competitive. If raiding is implemented and has a proper risk/reward ratio, Humans may be slightly better in PvP simply due to being better geared.

My plan is to go Human with an array of [Wisdom 18] [Charisma 13] [Strength 13] [Constitution 10] [Intelligence 10] [Dexterity 8].
    I will put my +2 Ability Score into Wisdom, but all of my Ability Score points from leveling will go into Charisma and Strength.

Reasoning: Character reset tokens apply only to choices made AFTER character creation (per text on item), so I cannot use one to "fix" my choice of array or initial Ability Score bonus; however, I can use it to "fix" my Ability Score points from leveling. Therefore, at character creation I will make choices based on how I expect the game to play out in the long-term, but while leveling I will make choices based on the present state of the game.

Would it change your choice of race if there was a race with +2 in, say, wis and str? Assuming the other racials were decent.
  • thevlakathevlaka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Panda.....
  • streamofsolacestreamofsolace Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    vornado71 wrote: »
    Interesting viewpoint. Do you really think they will make that type of change (pretty monumental in my book) this late in the game? I really think that the attribute point system is the foundation for your game. Something that never changes, or if changed it would be early in Alpha stage. It is unlikely the Devs are unaware of how power vs recovery is scaling. Ofcourse getting any response from a Dev is out of the question.

Now you have got me thinking hard about going human too!! Dang you, I was all set to go Tiefling!

It is definitely a huge change, but look at it from a balance and player population perspective. The game itself states that Wisdom is what we should be shooting for and the arrays also promote Wisdom as the primary attribute. This combination means that most players will decide that Wisdom is what they want. In this case, the majority of players will have gone with one attribute but have worse characters than a minority of players. Worse still, the majority would have made the decision before they could be "reasonably expected" to have done research (i.e.: I expect level cap players to have done the math on their powers and feats, or at least copied the prevailing builds, but I don't expect someone picking up the game for the first time to have done so).

Consider also that The Minimum Wisdom Cleric was, as far as I know, first proposed publicly on 2013-03-11 after Beta Weekend 2. This would have allowed just over a month between publication and Beta Weekend 4 for the class or power to be rebalanced.

For a living, I work in a small shop that does both programming and business analysis. It's not unusual for a client to come to us and ask for a "change" to how a workflow works. We're surprised, because that workflow was never a need expressed by the client, but the combination of capabilities we had implemented allowed for the workflow, and some clever individual used them in a way that wasn't intended to create this new workflow that they now rely on. This is to say that you can't always predict how what you build will actually be used; the balance team may not have considered low-Wisdom builds previously, my reaction to the post was "Oh, well ****. Time for some new equations".

I, too, was set to go Tiefling, I like the race's appearance, I like the ~2.5% damage bonus (resulting in more divine power) on the latter half of fights, and I like getting a +2 to two attributes that I value.

The lack of option to starting choices (race, array, and bonus attribute) is a real concern for me in choosing an "unusual" build.

Would it change your choice of race if there was a race with +2 in, say, wis and str? Assuming the other racials were decent.
    A race with Wisdom/Charisma or Wisdom/Strength and good racial would probably be competitive with Humans. Dwarf and Halfling racials are really nice for PvP and could be valuable in PvE with more interesting boss mechanics; a race with a good racial would certainly cause me to reconsider Humans as my preferred race.
  • richardseatonrichardseaton Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 87
    edited April 2013
    A race with Wisdom/Charisma or Wisdom/Strength and good racial would probably be competitive with Humans. Dwarf and Halfling racials are really nice for PvP and could be valuable in PvE with more interesting boss mechanics; a race with a good racial would certainly cause me to reconsider Humans as my preferred race.

I ask because I don't know what the drow racials are really going to be. I'm referring to both the renegade and the standard drow. Everything I have read are guesses or subject to change.
  • doowie1982doowie1982 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 284 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Personally I'm going for my Dwarf, but to be honest it's a battle between Dwarf & Human.

I just want to be that fat, short, hairy guy that you see running around touching you with healing hand.
    60 Dwarf Devoted Cleric
    60 Drow Trickster Rogue
    11 Elf Control Wizard

Server:
    Beholder
    Guild:
    Praetor Lupus
    Guild Website: http://www.PraetorLupus.com

Hero of the North & Guardian of Neverwinter Founder.
  • reallyevilpigeonreallyevilpigeon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I want to go elf for rp purposes, because there is no eladrin but nothing really suits elf thats magical. might have to go half elf.

I know cryptic has no problems with changing thinsg and micro managing things, specially when it comes to pvp. look at champions online. if there were a piece of gear or a build breaking things they would call you in and swap that gear from something awesome but not game breaking, or change complete powersets if they needed to, not sure if they will handle neverwinter the same
  • qryzelqryzel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I think a Minimum Wisdom Build Halfling is what I am going to Make.
  • xhatchxhatch Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I was going to go with the minimum wisdom build, but in that thread I did raise the issue that the Devs might "fix" wisdom stats to make it what it is supposed to be, thus making CHA/recovery builds less good. I don't think any change will ultimately gimp your character.

For me, I was going to make a Drow Cleric with the following stats (includes +2DEX, +2CHA):
    STR(12) INT(10) CON (10) WIS(16) DEX(12) CHA(18)

However, I will probably toy with this at the character creation screen to see if I can get a 12INT & an 8DEX(which my racial will bring up to 10) as I'd prefer the 12 in INT than DEX.
    sig2dz.jpg
    :cool:PLAY TO WIN:cool: |"A light in the darkness."
    |
  • vornado71vornado71 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 67
    edited April 2013
    It this correct as far as attribute evolution?

Lvl 10 +2 (1pt in 2 diff stats)
    Lvl 20 +2 (1pt in 2 diff stats)
    Lvl 30 +6 (1pt in all stats)
    Lvl 40 +2 (1pt in 2 diff stats)
    Lvl 50 +2 (1pt in 2 diff stats)
    Lvl 60 +6 (1pt in all stats)
    edited April 2013
    xhatch wrote: »
    However, I will probably toy with this at the character creation screen to see if I can get a 12INT & an 8DEX(which my racial will bring up to 10) as I'd prefer the 12 in INT than DEX.

Ability Scores: List of all possible rolled combinations will show you the possible arrays, no need to delay playing while you click the Roll button endlessly :)
  • unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    vornado71 wrote: »
    It this correct as far as attribute evolution?

Lvl 10 +2 (1pt in 2 diff stats)
    Lvl 20 +2 (1pt in 2 diff stats)
    Lvl 30 +6 (1pt in all stats)
    Lvl 40 +2 (1pt in 2 diff stats)
    Lvl 50 +2 (1pt in 2 diff stats)
    Lvl 60 +6 (1pt in all stats)

Yes that is correct.