test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How would you rank the classes in difficulty to play?

zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in PvE Discussion
After having played all of them to a decent level, I started thinking which classes were the most complex and difficult to master. In general, they are all somewhat fairly straight forward, but some do have more depth to them. My scale would look something like the following based on a difficulty rank out of 5 with 1 being the easiest:

GF 2
GWF 2
TR 3
CW 2
DC 4

The three I ranked the easiest all have the most plain tab effects, and that is one reason they are much simpler to get a grasp of.

The TR does take some thought on how to maximize their damage. It is an easy class to level with and the low skill end is still very effective. However, I saw a big difference in performance from TRs in regard to damage output.

DC has to worry about managing several resources that others do not. They have to keep track of their divinity, others health bars, keeping astral seal up, and weave in and out of divine mode to maximize their play. They are also the most fun class to play because of it.

How does everyone else see things?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by zingarbage on

Comments

• exhilolexhilol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 34
    edited April 2013
    I would say the DC... only because not only do you have to worry about what you are doing by also worry about what the other 4 members of a 5 man group are doing... Specially with the "soft targeting" system also being used as a healer.. Personally I cant wait to play the DC the challenge is going to be fun.
  • deistikdeistik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 658 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I didn't play any of the other classes all that much, so I can't say much on difficulty, but I will say that Divinity is the funnest of the tab abilities.
  • zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    deistik wrote: »
    I didn't play any of the other classes all that much, so I can't say much on difficulty, but I will say that Divinity is the funnest of the tab abilities.

Yeah, it is a very well done mechanic. I look at it and wonder how could they have made that fun ability and then made the GF mark ability? It is like watching Lucas make the original trilogy and then the prequels.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jkaplan92jkaplan92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I've played every class to 20+ except the cleric.

Class Simplicity:
    1. Guardian fighter = most simple/least depth
    2. Great Weapons fighter.
    3. Trickster Rogue/Control Wizard tied

Difficulty:
    1. Trickster Rogue: It was just really easy to level on a rogue because they're really strong soloing. Their damage is very high and their survivability is exceptional with stealth and bait and switch.
    2.Guardian Fighter: Block just kind of makes things pretty easy.
    3. Control Wizard: This class takes good positioning and strategy but its overall a strong class.
    4. Great Weapons Fighter. Just a weak class in my opinion and with the recent power changes they don't have much mobility until high levels which makes leveling difficult.
  • zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    jkaplan92 wrote: »
    I've played every class to 20+ except the cleric.

Class Simplicity:
    1. Guardian fighter = most simple/least depth
    2. Great Weapons fighter.
    3. Trickster Rogue/Control Wizard tied

Difficulty:
    1. Trickster Rogue: It was just really easy to level on a rogue because they're really strong soloing. Their damage is very high and their survivability is exceptional with stealth and bait and switch.
    2.Guardian Fighter: Block just kind of makes things pretty easy.
    3. Control Wizard: This class takes good positioning and strategy but its overall a strong class.
    4. Great Weapons Fighter. Just a weak class in my opinion and with the recent power changes they don't have much mobility until high levels which makes leveling difficult.

I leveled the GWF in bw3 before they moved lunging strike. It was pretty much the backbone of leveling and survival. I can imagine it is rough not having access to it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • richardseatonrichardseaton Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 87
    edited April 2013
    Nice thread. How would you rate their difficulty based on difficulty of manual dexterity?
  • mokomiimokomii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would agree the GWF is all about gear,spec,power choices more than actual skill. You can tell the difference between a good GWF and a awesome GWF normally you just spam whatever is your hardest hitting ability that is not on cooldown.
    TR i would agree with as harder than GWF because it is less forgiving and much more flexible of what skills you can use for what situation and when. Not using stealth, failing your daily, bad choice of when to use what attack really effects your damage and survivability output.
    DC by far is the hardest due to managing divinity alone. I personally love them because of this. There are a few who are always 100% never using the divinity at-wills (srsly they heal and deal a lot of damage, there are some abilities (like the root) I would never use divinity unless it is in a niche situation) it's such an important resource there could be a time you Need it (like the aoe nockback, the heal,etc) that divinity is down, or they never use it to begin with.
  • tekarutekaru Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't know how you guys feel, but for me, easy = boring. GF is pretty straightforward...and boring. and probably why there is a severe lack of GF. TR is about medium, easy to play, tricky to master but so much fun. The DC is growing on me BECAUSE it's a harder class to play. :D
  • tekarutekaru Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    mokomii wrote: »
    I would agree the GWF is all about gear,spec,power choices more than actual skill. You can tell the difference between a good GWF and a awesome GWF normally you just spam whatever is your hardest hitting ability that is not on cooldown.
    TR i would agree with as harder than GWF because it is less forgiving and much more flexible of what skills you can use for what situation and when. Not using stealth, failing your daily, bad choice of when to use what attack really effects your damage and survivability output.
    DC by far is the hardest due to managing divinity alone. I personally love them because of this. There are a few who are always 100% never using the divinity at-wills (srsly they heal and deal a lot of damage, there are some abilities (like the root) I would never use divinity unless it is in a niche situation) it's such an important resource there could be a time you Need it (like the aoe nockback, the heal,etc) that divinity is down, or they never use it to begin with.

I agree. I only used my Divinity when needed and I would still top kills and second in damage. and of course, would also still top heals. :D
    edited April 2013
    tekaru wrote: »
    I don't know how you guys feel, but for me, easy = boring. GF is pretty straightforward...and boring. and probably why there is a severe lack of GF. TR is about medium, easy to play, tricky to master but so much fun. The DC is growing on me BECAUSE it's a harder class to play. :D

I feel the same way. Still going to level a GF first though. I hate not being able to find a tank and am curious how well I can get the dps going.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2013
    Nice thread. How would you rate their difficulty based on difficulty of manual dexterity?

I'd switch it up a bit. The GF would be much higher based on PvP alone. With so many rogues around, it is much harder to hit block and turn your character around to block the daze than it is to simply hit your shift key to avoid it. You really have to be quick.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • richardseatonrichardseaton Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 87
    edited April 2013
    zingarbage wrote: »
    I'd switch it up a bit. The GF would be much higher based on PvP alone. With so many rogues around, it is much harder to hit block and turn your character around to block the daze than it is to simply hit your shift key to avoid it. You really have to be quick.

Thank you, that is the most important to me considering my lack of manual dexterity and speed. I'm not into PvP so GF might be a good choice for me.
  • jkaplan92jkaplan92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I think GF dps will be decent at high levels. The feat that doubles your power when you have 100% block seems like it could be really really strong.
    edited April 2013
    jkaplan92 wrote: »
    I think GF dps will be decent at high levels. The feat that doubles your power when you have 100% block seems like it could be really really strong.

This is true, but you have to consider their weapon damage is low compared to the others and the power boost just simply brings them back up in line with them in regards to dps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I suppose Im the oddball since I find the GF more difficult than the TR at higher level. At higher level your guard meter breaks much faster, so you have to gauge when to block, when to cc or when to take it, and also position mobs to prevent them getting combat advantage on you. The TR was just lol eazy mode the entire time I played due to their stealth and encounter powers coupled with insane dps.

I do agree that the DC offered the most diversity in play, but I still found them easy if you built them for crit/recovery with the aoe heal. To me rank was (most to least) DC, GF/CW, GWF, TR. As with most things, mileage will vary!

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg