test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STR or DEX priority?

batubabatuba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 89
edited May 2013 in The Thieves' Den
With the way roll system works now, its hard to get STR higher than dex for rogues but say they changed that to where you could place your own points. Would you have dex or str higher?
Post edited by batuba on

Comments

• Options
    quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    In terms of raw DPS:

Each point of STR is +1% damage.

By default each point of DEX is +.75% damage, on average. But, if you get more crit severity, and on-crit effects, DEX could be better.

Given that DEX also has more defensive benefits, I think I'd still go DEX primary, but it's a close call. Definitely want a high STR secondary, though.
  • Options
    kinsaedakinsaeda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
  • Options
    veeiveei Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    DEX first, STR second. I played GF and TR on alpha and beta and can tell you that Crit Severity is better. The .25% loss really isn't noticeable but when you crit for 30k, that is.. :)

And yes I did crit for 30k. This was a BRUTE mob, so difficulty hard and yes I was in Lurkers assault, and it was a Lashers Strike, but still.
    Rigas Crimstone, Officer

"Perfecting the art of being a meatshield since 1998"

Banners of the Light
  • Options
    seraphimdoseraphimdo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31
    edited April 2013
    GF and TR are the only two classes that have a primary stat that doesn't contribute to their damage. With only five classes I suppose this is still considered fair as almost half the classes suffer from this plight heh. For a tanking class who is primarily concerned with staying alive and being a threat magnet, damage CAN be on the back burner. However, I think it's silly that the rogue's "primary" stat, as a damage class, is NOT the base damage stat. Sure getting crits figures into dps for a striker. But in the end base % to damage is worth more than %crit. How so? Well, when you don't crit you still get 1% damage. When you DO crit you get 2% for your 1% damage. In my book that means crit either needs to be in a secondary stat. Or damage and crit need to both be under DEX. Finesse fighter anyone?

Now as they seem to have a system set in that no stat double dips in damage the latter is out. Also having classes that literally only need to focus one stat would certainly cause balance issues. So my suggestion is swap the damage stats in Dex/Str/Cha around. Logically it makes just as much sense to have crit in STR as it does in DEX. My argument; currently DEX would be described as precision to hitting vital, "critical", points on a target and the Strength of that hit adds more damage. Alternatively, finding the weak points AT ALL could be getting the damage in, I.E. finding that drop in defense, and adding strength lets you dive deeper to get an actual critical hit. I'm not sure how charisma equates to combat advantage so bs swapping that doesn't have to be explained. Maybe you're just so charming you put them off guard and stand behind them? Though I still say that is more dex/sneaky than it is anything to do with charisma.

Sorry, I understand this is a bit off topic but I feel this kind of change would relieve pressure of wanting to make a secondary stat your primary stat. I struggle with this idea too. It would be almost simple to have to decide whether you want to have higher crit or feel you will have CA enough to indulge in taking that as your main secondary stat. Regardless, Dex would certainly be your primary. Base damage will always be better. Your hits will always do damage. Your hits will NOT always crit. When they do...they still benefit from having higher base damage!
  • Options
    klaw10klaw10 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm sorry but crit does not belong in str, crit is the result of hitting a vulnerable spot on your foe so it belongs to dex.

Combat Advantage is a measure of how well you are coordinating with your party so it belongs to cha, and that made a lot of sense until they decided to give it to the rogue while stealthed which has created this ludicrous situation of players considering cha as a primary stat for stealthy characters.
    Sig_zpse9729709.png
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    critic chance is always the best stats in all games so it will be the same here ,since sooner or later u will be able to get 15%-20%+ crtic damage per gear part or gem.or 2-3% critic chance
  • Options
    sharokeesharokee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Its Dex, Str, Cha for me as rogue will do more solo or normal damage and still do plenty of CA extra damage as well since damage does not just drop off completely just because Cha is not as high as Str.
  • Options
    atalantamatalantam Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Its DEX then STR as a close second for me, just more defensives on DEX which helps a lot I find :)
    Home of the Amazons - Play a female character?
    Server: Mindflayer
    [EST 2008. A themed community of gamers & roleplayers]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]