test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

State of the CW in CBW4 - New Skill System

th3modth3mod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
edited May 2013 in The Library
Hey guys, I wanted to give quick feedback about the current state of the CW after somewhat huge changes! Feel free to join in and add any comment. I hope Cryptic reviews this and listens to the community as they did before :)

First of all, these changes made me more unhappy than happy. Let's start with the skill system rework. I do think that the old system needed some changes, since it was kind of stupid to get the same power 3 times. However I liked the idea that I got everything, and I was free to choose what to use and when! Which is quite important for the CW since sadly our controll abilities are nonsence when fighting Instance Bosses (immune to CC). Therefore I liked to change my skills constantly before some fights, depending what I would need.

This new system really messes up the freedom to choose/customize for me. Yes you can put points into skills you want to use, but you also have to lvl up skill you will never ever use (like Opressive Force, I think it's a horrible ability and I never use it, however it automatically gets one point, which is then gone from my pool of 60 points I can spend, if I recall correctly). This makes the skilltree kind of forced in some way. Also you get 4 class features until lvl 10 but only 3 encounters? What's that about? There is only 2 spots for Class Features and 4 for Encounters, furthermore class features only really depend later on when you do decent damage and those 1-5% damage multipliers count. I can not use a lot of my fun skill which I was able to use with the old system, where is Icy Terrain? Ice Knife? (my one and only nice single target dps Daily, awsome for any Intance Boss) now I get them at lvl 30 and 40?! I was so happy that this game wasn't like WoW or LotRO where you had to wait for certain levels to get one awsome skill. Here you could use it early on, altho it wasn't that powerfull. I love PvP and I always used Ice Knife + Ice Storm in lvl 10-20 PvP, this way I had nice single target + aoe Dailies available at my choice! Now it's all screwed up and I only have 3 AOE Dailies to choose from....in what way does this let me customize my character?

Also what I would like to add, a lot of people dont know what will be good for lategame, it's all guessing and with another freaking tree where you have to spend AD to respec? Come on Cryptic...

I would like to kindly ask you to review the new Skill System and make some tweaks, so it can be what it is ment to be. A nice way to customize your character further, and still beeing able to choose freely what to use and when to use it! I am liked the Idea of the CW beeing able to switch from CC/Chill to DMG/Arcane types, why make a class able to use both when you can only specialies on one?

This new skill system also just adds to the current problem that CW have. Awsome controll skills which are unusable against Intance Bosses, and the one skill which did decent enough dps was Ice Knife taken away. This is only my opinion about the issue and it refers to lower level play, and the idea of beeing able to enjoy the game at lower levels, not having to wait until someone is lvl 60.

This actually got quite long, apologies. Feel free to add any comments, however notice that this is just my opinion from playing 3 closed beta weekends, most likely everyone will have other ways to think about this.

Kind regards

Danny

TLDR; overall not very happy with the new skill system, really needs some tweaks, where is my Ice Knife? QQ
Post edited by th3mod on

Comments

• Options
    snewfielokisnewfieloki Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I totally agree with your comments

They should be working on fixing all the bugs instead of making changes that will need to be redone.

Snewfie lvl 27 CW
  • Options
    rojjinrojjin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    basically they took the worst class from previous beta's and made it the hands down worst class available in the game. all that needs to be said here.
  • Options
    prunetracyprunetracy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I agree with your points. I don't think the system is unsalvageable. I think by tweaking the order of powers and the availability a bit, it would work really well.

An example of a modified Wizard tree:
    Base: Magic Missile, Ray of Frost, Chill Strike, Oppressive Force, Orb of Imposition
    5 pt: Conduit of Ice, Entangling Force, Repel
    10 pt: Arcane Singularity, Ice Storm, Ice Knife
    15 pt: Chilling Cloud, Arcane Presence, Chilling Presence, Ray of Enfeeblement
    20 pt: Icy Terrain, Shield, Evocation (+ all skills have rank 3 available)
    30 pt: Storm Blast, Steal Time, Storm Fury
    35 pt: Sudden Storm, Storm Spell, Icy Rays,
    40 pt: Shard of the Endless Avalanche, Maelstrom of Chaos, Eye of the Storm

The basic idea here is to shift power availability earlier, so there's more options while leveling up. Don't get too hung up on the specific spell order, it's more meant to serve as an example of how power distribution could work. By making more choices available earlier, there's less opportunity for feeling forced into investing into powers you don't want, and more opportunity for hand-picking the powers you really want.

The system as it is would work fantastic if there were more powers to choose from. That may come down the road, but for now, I think it will feel better if there are more choices earlier in the progression.

Oh, I also think this should be coupled with a free respec on your last spent point. This way you could spend one point to try a power out, and switch to a new one if you don't like it. Your choice will only become locked when you spend the NEXT point, so you'll have a whole level to experiment.
  • Options
    hedgehog8hedgehog8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    rojjin wrote: »
    basically they took the worst class from previous beta's and made it the hands down worst class available in the game. all that needs to be said here.

Don't worry, GWF feels REALLY worse, so CW is not that bad. I was still able to solo-clean quest instances. Didn't try any dungeons though, cause they are always empty again :/ Really, devs should have been fixing bux, instead of making classes less fun to play...
  • Options
    altodarraltodarr Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2013
    CW as worst class? We must be playing a different game.
    CW is very powerful and really well balanced (only the Oppressor feat tree is lacking a bit). It's also the most rewarding class with the steepest learning curve.
    And I'd never go to a dungeon without one.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    They should be working on fixing all the bugs instead of making changes that will need to be redone.

This *IS* a "beta test". ~ahem~ What do you suppose they are doing? hahahah

Nothing is final, tweaks are still being made. Will the requested tweaks of changes happen? Perhaps or perhaps not. I just find the above comment rather, ummm.. redundant and funny. :)
  • Options
    hedgehog8hedgehog8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This *IS* a "beta test". ~ahem~ What do you suppose they are doing? hahahah

Nothing is final, tweaks are still being made. Will the requested tweaks of changes happen? Perhaps or perhaps not. I just find the above comment rather, ummm.. redundant and funny. :)

Well, it makes some sense. We were complaining the whole BW3 about 'empty dungeons' (when you enter dungeon but only final boss is there), and guess what I see right away when I log in this time :P BUT the feat system is completely changed, yep, they sure took some time to rework it, good work :P
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I am fine with control wizard now. It's control is not useless anymore. It is fragile like a mage. And its DPS is not uber either - exactly like a control wizard.

People don't realize the power of control wizard because they don't understand the strong synergy of powers it has. You have to build it carefully for particular powers in focus. And u have to use powers which have synergy. Like "rolling stone" with repel makes a good combo.

Roll everyone with stone. As they get up, push them back. Then blast the stone to damage them again.

Such combos are what define the control wizard and powers which seem useless become staple powers as you experiment with them.
  • Options
    derresshderressh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    th3mod wrote: »
    ...sadly our controll abilities are nonsence when fighting Instance Bosses (immune to CC)...Ice Knife? (my one and only nice single target dps Daily, awsome for any Intance Boss)...Awsome controll skills which are unusable against Intance Bosses...and the one skill which did decent enough dps was Ice Knife taken away...

These comments bugged me a bit. When you're in a group during a dungeon boss that's immune to CC, your job is to focus on the adds that spawn and make sure people don't get surrounded. I was also a bit disappointed that some of my favorite skills got bumped up in level so I couldn't use them, but that's just me feeling spoiled from having them before. If I hadn't gotten to play with them during BWE3, it wouldn't have effected me at all.

Other than that, I don't particularly mind the point buy system, but the point you made about the encounters vs class features at level 10 is a very valid point, and I hope they'll change those around a bit (especially since I don't plan on getting Conduit of Ice at all, so I'll be left with 2).
  • Options
    altodarraltodarr Member Posts: 60
    edited April 2013
    strong synergy of powers it has

Exactly. There are insane amount of combinations for fun and powerful CW power use. You just have to decide which playstyle you prefer and which powers you want to use. Then choose your feats according to those.

Another examples:
    1) conduit of ice (its dmg got buffed) with -15% mitigation from feat and while waiting for a few 'ticks'
    2) storm pillar with +10% dmg buff if you hit 2+ targets feat
    3) chill strike in tab slot (aoe version) with +20% dmg on targets not affected by chill feat that also stuns main target

Or you can easily combine arcane and cold powers.
    1) get arcane presence passive (the one that also gives cold dmg for arcane stacks)
    2) entangling force in tab slot that build arcane stacks based on targets near main target (easily can give 4 stacks in an instant)
    3) use your favorite cold powers with now buffed dmg
    4) refresh arcane stacks with magic missile

Building upon synergy is much more efficient than using 'separate' skill rotations.
  • Options
    th3modth3mod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
    edited April 2013
    Hehe, I know what my role is mate! And I certainly now how to use my powers, but most of the bosses I encountered in the early levels didn't have adds at all, or only some add waves, which were cleared very fast with my AOE Ice Daily + TAB Chill Strike, but what do you do after that? Watch the door, maybe some more will arrive? I for sure go and hit on the boss, especially with a crit build where you want to get off those 3rd strikes of the LMB attack. I am not saying the CW is weak now (it certainly is weaker than in bw3) but it is a lot less fun, and this is one of the main things I loved about this game, that LVL UP IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUN. (which it was in BW3, that's why I clearly favourite the old system, with some tweaks ofc) Not a grind fest to get that one awsome skill at lvl 45...and until that, suck it! This is supposed to be a different game :)
  • Options
    il1kep1zzail1kep1zza Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    prunetracy wrote: »
    An example of a modified Wizard tree:
    Base: Magic Missile, Ray of Frost, Chill Strike, Oppressive Force, Orb of Imposition
    5 pt: Conduit of Ice, Entangling Force, Repel
    10 pt: Arcane Singularity, Ice Storm, Ice Knife
    15 pt: Chilling Cloud, Arcane Presence, Chilling Presence, Ray of Enfeeblement
    20 pt: Icy Terrain, Shield, Evocation (+ all skills have rank 3 available)
    30 pt: Storm Blast, Steal Time, Storm Fury
    35 pt: Sudden Storm, Storm Spell, Icy Rays,
    40 pt: Shard of the Endless Avalanche, Maelstrom of Chaos, Eye of the Storm

I like this idea for power progression for the CW mainly because it gives the CW four encounter powers at level 10. One thing I noticed in this weekend's playtest is that I didn't get access to my fourth encounter power until level 15. This meant that I either couldn't use my tab ability until level 15, or I couldn't use a regular encounter slot until 15. Obviously, I chose to leave one of my regular encounter slots empty. This shouldn't be the case at all. CWs should have 4 encounter powers at level 10 so that they can get the most out of the unique aspect of their class which is 4 encounter abilities instead of 3. I played a Cleric also this weekend. At level 10, I was able to use my tab ability, and I had access to three encounter abilities. However, as I said earlier, my CW didn't have access to his tab ability and three encounter abilities at level 10. This shouldn't be the case.
  • Options
    licourtrix1licourtrix1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 232 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Would like to point out that not all the cc effects are useless on boss fights, Ray of enfeeblement works wonders on a boss and really helps the damage out-put. I wasn't fond of the new system when i first saw it, but really doesn't make much difference, as lvl'ing is so quick. I do feel however that this is exactly whats needed to make more unique builds then simply choosing skills from all the available options. Still a really fun class to play, by far my favorite having played both rogue and priest as well.
    How much do clothes cost in the Matrix?
  • Options
    millertime197933millertime197933 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I dont mind the new skill system. I just wish there were more useful options/spells to choose. This being beta, down the road there might be. I think it will be very difficult to ever have anything other than entangling force, steal time, and shield slotted in some capacity. That leaves me with one wild card. For me it was chill strike in the tab. If they added maybe three or four more spells, equally useful/powerful to create some difficulty in choosing, that'd be great. I like the idea of having to choose to go all out control, all out nukes, or a balance. That creates a little customization to builds. Maybe add web to compete with steal time. Longer control, but no damage, or fireball to compete with chill strike. Less damage but to multiple targets. Little stuff like that creates single target DPS, AoE DPS, CC, and hybrid builds.
  • Options
    licourtrix1licourtrix1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 232 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    shield is useless, much better options that are open the more scenarios. If you are depending on shield to keep you alive, you are playing the class wrong.
  • Options
    savoreksavorek Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 30
    edited April 2013
    Would like to point out that not all the cc effects are useless on boss fights, Ray of enfeeblement works wonders on a boss and really helps the damage out-put. I wasn't fond of the new system when i first saw it, but really doesn't make much difference, as lvl'ing is so quick. I do feel however that this is exactly whats needed to make more unique builds then simply choosing skills from all the available options. Still a really fun class to play, by far my favorite having played both rogue and priest as well.

All they did was rename <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> thats been sittin there the whole time and do a different point distribution system..people asked for MORE on the CW, not a revamp of the same old <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>...which is basically what it is.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Give it some time, new skills will be added eventually. They tried to produce some individuality with the new system, and with a few more choices we will have it. Every class wants more, but as far as the CW is concerned it fulfills its primary role very well, while still dishing out decent damage.
  • Options
    millertime197933millertime197933 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    licour,

I used shield as an AoE localized nuke/knockback, not for damage mitigation. I typically opened up with chill strike in tab, then finished off the weaker bad guys with shield when they got close. It is insta cast if you are already buffed with it so I found it useful for that purpose.
  • Options
    everwindgaleeverwindgale Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 76
    edited April 2013
    To me it did not achieve the customization necessary to differentiate me from all the other control wizards out there, point selection made me chose powers I did not want, and when they rearranged the powers we lost our single power daily that was very nice for boss fights. To me it made it worse. Of course I have always hated any game that just "upgrades existing" powers rather than provide diverse power choice and combinations. Oh I am so excited instead of doing 10-15 points of damage, I do 13-18 points of damage and it uses more energy. I mowing down these mobs now..... Right now from the moment you start the game you cannot really choose to be an arcane or ice-based wizard. You lose the ability to experiment with your powers and how they work in game, so you have no idea if a power is good or not, fits your play-style or not, and if it doesn't work out, your screwed unless you spend money. So a new player is basically screwed because he is being asked to purchase something without knowing how it will perform, how is that a good business model that makes a player happy???? It was a half-assed change that did nothing but add confusion and hinder newbie play, rather than allow the player to customize their toon in a meaningful way.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    The old system gave you skills you didn't like as well, so no difference there. Its a brand new game, we're all newbie players, all still testing builds and skills. Your points are completely invalid at this stage.

I will say that i think everyone should be given 1 respec token for free, but I also think that with new skills and fixes coming out, free respecs will be available anyways.
  • Options
    vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    The old system gave you skills you didn't like as well, so no difference there. Its a brand new game, we're all newbie players, all still testing builds and skills. Your points are completely invalid at this stage.

I will say that i think everyone should be given 1 respec token for free, but I also think that with new skills and fixes coming out, free respecs will be available anyways.

If it's like CO/STO, then yea free tokens will be given when major class changes happen. The only issue we will see is if any changes affect ability scores since the tokens do not reset your starting ability scores.

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg
  • Options
    psyb3rtr011psyb3rtr011 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    th3mod wrote: »
    ....First of all, these changes made me more unhappy than happy. Let's start with the skill system rework. I do think that the old system needed some changes, since it was kind of stupid to get the same power 3 times. However I liked the idea that I got everything, and I was free to choose what to use and when! Which is quite important for the CW since sadly our controll abilities are nonsence when fighting Instance Bosses (immune to CC). Therefore I liked to change my skills constantly before some fights, depending what I would need.

This new system really messes up the freedom to choose/customize for me. Yes you can put points into skills you want to use, but you also have to lvl up skill you will never ever use (like Opressive Force, I think it's a horrible ability and I never use it, however it automatically gets one point, which is then gone from my pool of 60 points I can spend, if I recall correctly). This makes the skilltree kind of forced in some way. ...

Remember, this is the first Wizard available. They will add skills/spells/etc as the game progresses, and I suspect you will be allowed more leeway to keep from wasting points on things you will never use.

I can also see, them requiring points in prerequisite skills/spells/etc to get later ones. For instance must have Lower Level Ice of equal or less ranks to get a higher level one, etc...
    Psyb3rTr011
    AKA Cyber Troll and Euben Hadd
  • Options
    opyriopyri Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I am currently at lvl 36 with my control wizard, having read all the Feats and Powers many times, since they are quite hard to be changed afterward. I wish I could toy with them a little without spending more real money.

1) I feel the Feat system lacks synergy.
    Example: Snap Freeze (cold powers do 4-20% more damage on targets NOT afflicted by chill), then Assailing Force, later in the Thaumaturge Path buffs a DoT spell that chills the target.
    There are many situations like that, which don't contribute to create an identity for each Paragon path. Simply put, it seems the feats are put there randomly.

2) Many Feats give such ridiculously minor buffs that no one would feel like it affects the character at all.
    Example: Energy Recovery gives you a 25% chance of gaining 0.75% extra hit points when you cast a spell that no one would even use (Chilling Cloud)?! It is confusing and useless.

3) Using the same example of the Energy Recovery feat, many of these feats are also NO fun. While plain 1-5% damage buffs are welcome, it feels like just an obligation to fill them because otherwise you would be subpar compared to other Control Wizards' damage.

4) Since the issue came up, I think several spells need better balance. Storm Pillar and Chilling Cloud should be considered as AoE options against Magic Missile, but the latter still deals more overall damage than the others, even against groups of mobs.

Summing up, my main points are Feat Paths need more synergy, identity and they need to have more flavor to be felt as a game changing aspect of the game, not just an extra mechanic where you have to find the decent options among a lot of useless ones.