test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

MMORPG.com's Most Anticipated game from PAX East

sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited April 2013 in News & Announcements
Neverwinter is MMORPG.com's Most Anticipated game from PAX East! See their PAX East Awards here: http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/loadFeature/7247/The-PAX-East-2013-Awards-.html
Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
Post edited by sominator on

Comments

• Options
    desmundesmun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 66
    edited March 2013
    I agree 100%! Me want badly!
  • Options
    mogwaimogwai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    congrats :)
    mmorpg is R'lyehian for: Innumerable quantities of grown babies
    discussing & often complaining about the imaginary.
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1618000&dateline=1316204434[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vestinious1vestinious1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Nice now lets get a date for open beta :)
  • Options
    iymalaiymala Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Congrats!

Looking forward to Open Beta.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    damorkadamorka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    When the game will be available for normal daily play? I loved the beta weekend 3 btw :)
  • Options
    worgrenworgren Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, now that I have lost interest in SWTOR this is the only game I want to play :)
  • Options
    stev69stev69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 50
    edited April 2013
    Seeing as how this is supposed to be released Early 2013, aren't we running out of early?
  • Options
    chocularchocular Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    stev69 wrote: »
    Seeing as how this is supposed to be released Early 2013, aren't we running out of early?

Depends on how many ways you cut 2013: if you assume a 3-way division of the year then "early" ends at the end of this month and "mid 2013" begins in May. If you take "early" to mean the first half of the year then they have until the end of June before they've missed their ship date. I don't think you could reasonably argue that "early 2013" means anything past Q2, though, and I'm sure they want to release before FF14 if possible
  • Options
    baalah1baalah1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 106 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    game development is NOT a speedy thing, sure they have had a few beta weekends but what that has done is help them identify "bugs" to fix as well as beta tester submitted ideas for content to add so they have a fair amount of work ahead of them yet. I am sure the comm Manager Sominator would agree with most of my statement. Lets give Cryptic studios time to DEbug neverwinter - it will be to our benefit in long run.
    www.guildmedieval.com If you need a guild read over our website then consider joining. :cool:
  • Options
    ganiriesganiries Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I just read the article on MMORPG. I kind of laughed. There were 6 total games mentioned--WildStar, DayZ, Marvel Heroes Online, FireFall, NeverWinter and Elder Scrolls Online.

Five of the games won an 'award.'

Best of Show – Elder Scrolls Online
    Best Hybrid MMO – DayZ
    Rising Star – Marvel Heroes Online
    Most Innovative – WildStar
    Most Anticipated – Neverwinter

In my opinion, the rewards seem to be given out, with hopes of fostering better relationships with the developers. I'm only surprised they didn't invent a 6th award to give to FireFall. I usually don't think so critically at these things, but I've seen these "award badges" on developing game sites for years, and to know they're given out so freely doesn't sit well with me.

Not that important, I know, but I did just add these award things to my online bs-block. It's right next to adblock.
    Ornament-3.gif
  • Options
    futrixfutrix Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ganiries wrote: »
    I just read the article on MMORPG. I kind of laughed. There were 6 total games mentioned--WildStar, DayZ, Marvel Heroes Online, FireFall, NeverWinter and Elder Scrolls Online.

Five of the games won an 'award.'

Best of Show – Elder Scrolls Online
    Best Hybrid MMO – DayZ
    Rising Star – Marvel Heroes Online
    Most Innovative – WildStar
    Most Anticipated – Neverwinter

In my opinion, the rewards seem to be given out, with hopes of fostering better relationships with the developers. I'm only surprised they didn't invent a 6th award to give to FireFall. I usually don't think so critically at these things, but I've seen these "award badges" on developing game sites for years, and to know they're given out so freely doesn't sit well with me.

Not that important, I know, but I did just add these award things to my online bs-block. It's right next to adblock.
    Yeah, the only awards I really notice are Most Anticipated and Best of Show, both of which I think earned their spots. I heard TESO put on a great display and showing, and really I think either one could have been most anticipated. The other three awards I'm confused about really.

Hybrid seems like a weird thing to reward on it's own, why is that something to shoot for? It seems like giving someone an award for being ambidextrous.
    All the games are very innovative, at least in one way or another.
    Raising Star? What does that even mean?!
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ganiries wrote: »
    In my opinion, the rewards seem to be given out, with hopes of fostering better relationships with the developers. ....

Actually the reason they do it(and every gaming sites does that) like that is because of polarisation on their sites of pro-people and anti-people.

If they choose just one, there would be rage. If you go to any of the game-specific forum of any website - you will see a lot of posts by die-hard fans of other games just starting the thread to debunk other games.

The website itself will not gain by being unfair in giving awards. Its just that if they do not have enough categories, they will start to loose users.

If all the people on their forums are able to rationally reason and accept the outcome, they may have one winner. Sadly, there is no paradise in life.
  • Options
    zieglerzzieglerz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 197 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Game Review sites, or Game review Magazines which have advertisements.....they arent worth the digital space they take up.
    It's little more than paid PR. Go back and look over the years of games chosen and see which ones and how many turn out to be flops.
    SWTOR is the latest example of this....it was the best of show and all kinds of awards on multiple sites....and yet it was the most lauded flop of a game in recent memory.

Those businesses are not in the interest of consumers. I will gladly take a link to any review of SWTOR that was negative. The only one I know of for a fact, the writer of the review was fired the day after releasing it....and that was at MMORPG.com, and of course they said it wasnt the fact that he wrote a negative review of game, even though he was the first I could recall in any recent memories of actually having done so before a games' launch.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    zieglerz wrote: »
    Game Review sites, or Game review Magazines which have advertisements.....they arent worth the digital space they take up.
    It's little more than paid PR. Go back and look over the years of games chosen and see which ones and how many turn out to be flops.
    SWTOR is the latest example of this....it was the best of show and all kinds of awards on multiple sites....and yet it was the most lauded flop of a game in recent memory.

I didn't know it won a best of show too. I say good for them. I was at the PAX Prime before their launch and saw their booth/section and how much work they put into it. People go to PAX for the atmosphere and experience and I can say that SWTOR delivered on that. If it was for the PAX I attended, I say it was an award well deserved.

For the rest of your negativity, it is pretty widely known that SWTOR released way before their content was ready. There was a nice sized list of things Bioware was going to have in the release copy that got cut to make the holiday release and you can thank EA for that. Going F2P kept it one of the more popular MMOs out there.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    futrix wrote: »
    For the rest of your negativity, it is pretty widely known that SWTOR released way before their content was ready. There was a nice sized list of things Bioware was going to have in the release copy that got cut to make the holiday release and you can thank EA for that. Going F2P kept it one of the more popular MMOs out there.

Regardless its a dreary monotonous travesty of a game and it failed hard. The much vaunted selling point of the fourth pillar (story telling) was never going to be enough to make a success of it, and the stories weren't even that good cliche after cliche.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Regardless its a dreary monotonous travesty of a game and it failed hard. The much vaunted selling point of the fourth pillar (story telling) was never going to be enough to make a success of it, and the stories weren't even that good cliche after cliche.

Well all I really have to say to that is: if Neverwinter "fails" as hard as SWTOR did, Neverwinter will be a pretty successful F2P game. One year later: 500k-1mil people paying the optional sub (plus whoever isn't paying) probably makes it the 2nd most popular game in western markets, under WoW. 3rd depending on how Aion its doing. EVE just hit 500k and Rift is nowhere close on paying subs last I read.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Well all I really have to say to that is: if Neverwinter "fails" as hard as SWTOR did, Neverwinter will be a pretty successful F2P game. One year later: 500k-1mil people paying the optional sub (plus whoever isn't paying) probably makes it the 2nd most popular game in western markets, under WoW. 3rd depending on how Aion its doing. EVE just hit 500k and Rift is nowhere close on paying subs last I read.

If Tor hadn't gone F2P it would be floating face down in the toilet bowl and that's the best place for it, instead they moved to a microtransaction model to try to boost sales by relying on impulse buying. And to be fair ill bet the paying percentage of that base isn't as high as you might think. EA invested a huge amount of capital and resources into this venture and it ended up mediocre at best there's nothing really innovative about it, its just a dumbed down cash machine.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    If Tor hadn't gone F2P it would be floating face down in the toilet bowl

Lemme stop you right there. Replace TOR with any game released in the past two years or releasing in the next two years.
    P2P games are a thing of the past, or are about to be. In a market with dozens and dozens of good online games, you are down to only 3 P2P MMOs (WoW, EVE and however long Rift can keep it's head above water). Most of the B2P and F2P options are better than the P2P options out there (and making more money). The two P2P games that are still doing well are the ones with age, years of post-launch content and an established and loyal fanbase of gamers who have characters years old.

The mentality of how crappy any recent game must have been to have to transform its payment from P2P into F2P is an error. Really the error was in attempting to go P2P to begin with and any development team working on a new MMO with the hopes of making it P2P is really REALLY gonna have a tough time. Of the listed games discussed in the article, only TESO hasn't said they plan to go with a F2P model. Many people within the TES community feel they could get away with making it a SUB game based on its IP. Whether they will try or not is unknown, but the outcome of attempting to go P2P will likely result in them later having to do rework their game with a F2P model post-launch (which is messy). If that happens, the game hasn't "failed," it would be the publisher wising up.
  • Options
    xcammixcammi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 98
    edited April 2013
    Lemme stop you right there. Replace TOR with any game released in the past two years or releasing in the next two years.
    P2P games are a thing of the past, or are about to be. In a market with dozens and dozens of good online games, you are down to only 3 P2P MMOs (WoW, EVE and however long Rift can keep it's head above water). Most of the B2P and F2P options are better than the P2P options out there (and making more money). The two P2P games that are still doing well are the ones with age, years of post-launch content and an established and loyal fanbase of gamers who have characters years old.

The mentality of how crappy any recent game must have been to have to transform its payment from P2P into F2P is an error. Really the error was in attempting to go P2P to begin with and any development team working on a new MMO with the hopes of making it P2P is really REALLY gonna have a tough time. Of the listed games discussed in the article, only TESO hasn't said they plan to go with a F2P model. Many people within the TES community feel they could get away with making it a SUB game based on its IP. Whether they will try or not is unknown, but the outcome of attempting to go P2P will likely result in them later having to do rework their game with a F2P model post-launch (which is messy). If that happens, the game hasn't "failed," it would be the publisher wising up.

I wish your post wasn't right, but that seems to be the way the market is going. I've spent the last couple years dismissing any F2P games as garbage, because I figured any game worth its salt would charge for access, and I didn't mind paying for them (I quit playing TOR when they went F2P). Neverwinter is slowly changing my mind about all that. I figure I'll spend $15/month on Zen instead.
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Its true the modern business model is turning more and more to microtransaction as developers and publishers realise they can make a lot more money for much less investment and effort with such a model. But the fact remains if TOR had been a quality product then it wouldn't have been hemorrhaging subs with a poor retention rate before hand. It highlights how bad the overall plan for the game was, releasing an uninspired clone at the end of a gaming generation was also a poor move.

Once gamers get through the shiny veneer of the game it soon becomes apparent how lack luster it is, its only saving grace is the fact its starwars, it will live off of the ip for a time but once other highly anticipated mmos hit the market I suspect it will flounder some what.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited April 2013
    TOR's problem isn't that it's a bad game, it's that it's a bad MMO. They made a great single-player game, and forgot to give people a reason to stick around between content updates. Since their content updates are drastically more expensive than the industry standard due to full voiceovers, they created (ignoring frequent and strident warnings from experienced gamers and industry insiders) a situation in which they simply had no hope whatsoever of retaining players.

Hopefully F2P will give them time to build an MMORPG around their game.

Neverwinter, however, is not Cryptic's first rodeo, nor PWE's. We're talking about a company that has written multiple successful MMORPGs, working with an established core team who worked on most or all of those games, in conjunction with the largest pre-launch team they've ever had, full of other experienced MMO professionals. This will be a good MMORPG. It will be successful.

Will it be a huge hit? I have no idea. Will it kill the 800 pound gorilla? No, and nobody at PWE expects it to, either. They didn't go into this expecting to do that, and they didn't spend the kind of money that would take, on purpose. But what it will be is quite successful, because the folks making it know how to make a successful game. They've only failed once, and that was due to severe circumstances beyond their control that don't exist here.
  • Options
    vinzovinzo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 65
    edited April 2013
    yes Congrats!
  • Options
    archanjo17041985archanjo17041985 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    congrats :)
    i7 3770k @ 4.0//HD 7950 WF3//16 GB ram Corsair @ 1600//Corsair 120 GB SSD x 2//Hyper Evo 212
  • Options
    blooddathblooddath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Fail game is fail.
  • Options
    thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    awesome game! Cryptic did a fantastic job of keeping the right flavor. It feels like DnD. woo hooooo!!!! BREAK OUT THE CHEETOS AND MOUNTAIN DEW!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
    Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
  • Options
    omicron0099omicron0099 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    There's not a whole lot of big MMO's coming out in 2013. Defiance, Wildstar, Darkfall: Unholy Wars, none of those are going to be huge hits. Elder Scrolls Online will be, but I seriously doubt it's making a release in 2013. Neverwinter imo is probably the biggest MMORPG of the year
    Guardian of Neverwinter Giveaway - overpower3d.com
  • Options
    roguehwzroguehwz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 32
    edited April 2013
    There's not a whole lot of big MMO's coming out in 2013. Defiance, Wildstar, Darkfall: Unholy Wars, none of those are going to be huge hits. Elder Scrolls Online will be, but I seriously doubt it's making a release in 2013. Neverwinter imo is probably the biggest MMORPG of the year

Nah, there's one in that list that will be a huge hit, but I will not mention which... TESO has issues, kinda like the Duke Nukem Forever disease and a monthly subscription cost (Financially it will be a success due to hype/spin coming from its namesake but as a mmo... meh).

Even so, we should talk about Here and Now, well... Neverwinter will be out this month and is undoubtedly a pretty decent mmo with user driven and develop content while being a F2P. Since I have Star Trek Online which has a long legacy with updates( Romulans are coming... :) ), I know Neverwinter will be here for the long haul.
  • Options
    jiguur1jiguur1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Gratz!!! Neverwinter team.
    Dominatin' force of Mongolia:mad:
  • Options
    cyantscyants Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    That's odd I was at PAX east and I could have swore the only reason Neverwinter had more people playing it was because Elderscroll Online booth was in a corner of the expo hall and not the middle of the place and also because of the 3 hour perma-line to try it because you had 20 minute of game time :)