test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So what feats and feat progressions are you guys looking at?

herndothegreatherndothegreat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
edited April 2013 in The Library
Control Wizard Feats

I guess I'll focus on Crits, Cooldowns and maybe Action Point Regen feats. I usually try to focus on dmg dealing in these games. I'd love to hear from somebody who has some experience in calculating the usefullness in some of the other feats and can show how usefull they are.

A little torn on the "Learned Spellcaster -Increase the amount of bonus damage Intelligence gives you by 1/2/3/4/5%."
I'd like some more info on how usefull this feat would be. 5 points is a lot of feat points for only a 5% increase in dmg from INT. It's not even a 5% inc in dmg, just dmg from INT. That seems like it would be a really small number for 5 points used.

As for Paragon Tree Feats, I'd love to have a healthy discussion on what you guys intend to use here and why. This is apparently where all of our class customization as far as "builds" will come from.:(
Post edited by herndothegreat on

Comments

• Options
    derresshderressh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Dang, I was thinking about making a thread like this today, too. Beat me to the punch, though.

It seems like the crit/AP regen path is the best to go, at the moment. I've heard of people that can throw off dailies every 10-12 seconds with that setup.

I think the 5% increased bonus damage from intelligence is actually 5% damage. Intelligence gives +1% bonus damage for every point over 10. From the way it's worded, it sounds like you get another 5% on top of that. Though I could be wrong, since I took Prestidigitation instead, thinking it gave 3% of attributes, not stats. If it works the way you say, then it's a terrible feat.

As for Paragon feats, it seems to me like the renegade path is a little OP compared to the other two. With a high crit build, you generate AP like nobody's business, gain combat advantage, and get increased damage on subsequent crits during the combat advantage, as well as refreshing it. And it seems like the tier 5 feat in Renegade is just objectively better than the other two tier 5 feats. Wondering if the buff/debuff can be overridden by continuing to cast MM and getting another proc.

I would have liked to see the Oppressor path have more actual control boost than it currently does, because at the moment it feels pretty lackluster.
  • Options
    nwnprednwnpred Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    indeed only time will tell
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    derressh wrote: »
    And it seems like the tier 5 feat in Renegade is just objectively better than the other two tier 5 feats. Wondering if the buff/debuff can be overridden by continuing to cast MM and getting another proc.
    From what I could tell during BW3, the 3 different debuffs can be active on the same target at the same time, but if a debuff was already active a new application would just reset the timer.

And yea, constant daily spamming did seem to be the way to go with the BW3 balance.
  • Options
    derresshderressh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've been pondering something for a bit. How worthwhile will a Renegade Control Wizard be when the actual Striker mages are released? Going Renegade is great at this point because we're the only major ranged DD at the moment. Just wondering if it will feel like the CW is trying to be something it's not, and end up being mediocre at DPS compared to the Striker mages, and mediocre at CC compared to CWs with a heavier focus on CC feats.
  • Options
    hedgehog8hedgehog8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    derressh wrote: »
    I've been pondering something for a bit. How worthwhile will a Renegade Control Wizard be when the actual Striker mages are released? Going Renegade is great at this point because we're the only major ranged DD at the moment. Just wondering if it will feel like the CW is trying to be something it's not, and end up being mediocre at DPS compared to the Striker mages, and mediocre at CC compared to CWs with a heavier focus on CC feats.

That would certainly be the case if Renegade path was a 'DPS' path(officially it's 'tactical'). Right now, 'Thaumaturge' is the main 'DPS' feat line. Opressor was supposed to give great control improvement, but all it in fact improves are 'chills' (not the stun/slow durations or cooldowns of encounter powers*, which would certainly add more control IMHO). And 'Renegade', well, it seems you are aware of the 'sexy build' which is nearby, and that enables the fastest daily recharge, which seems to have at least the same control potential(but quite possible that much more) than 'more chills' from 'Opressor'. So 'Renegade' seems to give 'most' conrol flexibility(mainly because you are not tied to chills), the DPS increase is not high(because you will either have low crit chance, or low base damage), so I just can't say that 'Renegade' path crosses the 'turf' of 'Striker' mages.

* 'Alacrity' is a joke, how often do you actually kill someone as a CW in a full party with your DPS and average damage? :/
  • Options
    x0y1x0y1 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Before you all go min/max your chars with the knowledge of the past few beta test, we get a new power system.
    In the last week perfecteu Videos (german/french) the said more then once that the introduce in the alpha a complete new one and this was confirmend here on the forums before that post got deleted.............
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    hedgehog8 wrote: »
    * 'Alacrity' is a joke, how often do you actually kill someone as a CW in a full party with your DPS and average damage? :/
    You're not going to be top killer at the higher levels, but you'll still get quite a few kills. As long as you're using your AoEs you'll often finish off random stuff that others have been beating on using single target attacks. That's not to say that Alacrity is a worthwhile feat unless you're deeply in love with Entangling Force.
  • Options
    hedgehog8hedgehog8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You're not going to be top killer at the higher levels, but you'll still get quite a few kills. As long as you're using your AoEs you'll often finish off random stuff that others have been beating on using single target attacks. That's not to say that Alacrity is a worthwhile feat unless you're deeply in love with Entangling Force.
    Yeah, except that small stuff actually needs to have a chill stack on them, so a random kill must be matched with a random chill stack. It's just not really effective to make a perk for a control path that is tied to killing, it would make alot more sense if that 'recharge' was applied when the 'freeze from 6 stacks' was activated.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    x0y1 wrote: »
    Before you all go min/max your chars with the knowledge of the past few beta test, we get a new power system.
    In the last week perfecteu Videos (german/french) the said more then once that the introduce in the alpha a complete new one and this was confirmend here on the forums before that post got deleted.............

Interesting. If this is true, then I'm even more excited about BW4/OB/release/whatever they decide to do next. New things to try out.
  • Options
    dollahzdollahz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    x0y1 wrote: »

I hope this is true. I think that change would go along way in improving the game system.