test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

4E Clerics don't have a rez until Epic

silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
edited September 2014 in The Temple
I've seen a number of posts surprised that Clerics in NW do not have a rez power. I just wanted to point out that Clerics in 4E tabletop D&D do not have a rez power either. At least not in the PHB. WotC did publish a level 22 rez called "Revive" in the optional Divine Power splatbook. However, even if Cryptic decides to use this power, a level 22 4E D&D character is equivalent to a level 66 Neverwinter character. So that would be after they raise the level cap to encompass Epic tier.

In 4E, the Raise Dead ability is no longer a spell or power. It is a Ritual. Rituals can be performed by anyone with a Ritual scroll. The Raise Dead Ritual Scroll is expensive (680gp - as much as a fine warhorse) and requires 4 hours to use as well as an extra 500gp in components.

The current situation of having costly rez scrolls be the only way to raise a dead comrade in NW is the same way it is in 4E D&D. Except that NW's rez scrolls don't take 4 hours to use.

There is a feat in D&D called Ritual Casting that allows any character to master a Ritual and cast it without a scroll. Clerics and Wizards get this feat for free. But, it still costs just as much for the components and takes twice as long as a Ritual scroll.

I am completely fine with them adding a rez for Clerics in keeping with MMO standards. Just don't think it is a D&D standard anymore. As of 4E, resurrection as a power is available only to Clerics who are in the Epic Tier. And only if the DM uses the Divine Power book. These are characters who are often on the path to immortality or even divinity themselves.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• number13deathnumber13death Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The reason that 4E and most of D&D don't have resurrection (or that it's expensive) is because resurrection is used for when the character is dead (half your hit points below 0, or -1/2 HP). If your character is dying or unconscious (below 0 but more than -1/2 HP) then any healing that brings you above 0 effectively "resurrects" you.

In Neverwinter's mechanic this is expressed by spending time picking an ally up from the ground. Basically you're performing a heal check on an ally.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The OP makes some great sense. I wrote out a detailed reply regarding the "costs REAL money Resurrection Scroll in Z-Store" response, but put it into it's own thread so more people will see it, that thread is here:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?114031-Z-Store-quot-Resurrection-Scroll-quot-is-NOT-what-you-think-it-is&p=1609951#post1609951
  • myschaellamyschaella Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Personally I think a rez skill should be added for clerics at least above lvl 50 and should be a daily power. I think this limited ability to cast a rez would reflect the effort and channelling of divine power adequately enough to make rez a limited and exhausting divine ability.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited March 2013
    As long as resurrection scrolls are available from the store, they will be considered pay2win until there is another ability to perform their function. Right now, they there's no way to emulate their function, and they provide a clear advantage to players possessing them.

Players need a resurrection spell for balance, not for lore. It'd be like it they sold AoE powers in the store, but our characters didn't get them for free. Sure, you can still deal damage and presumably kill every opponent, but it's clearly not balanced. Right now, sure, you can revive at the last campfire, but paying for this ability (which is obtainable no other way than by paying) grants power to those throwing money at the system.
  • myschaellamyschaella Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 130 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    As long as resurrection scrolls are available from the store, they will be considered pay2win until there is another ability to perform their function. Right now, they there's no way to emulate their function, and they provide a clear advantage to players possessing them.

Players need a resurrection spell for balance, not for lore. It'd be like it they sold AoE powers in the store, but our characters didn't get them for free. Sure, you can still deal damage and presumably kill every opponent, but it's clearly not balanced. Right now, sure, you can revive at the last campfire, but paying for this ability (which is obtainable no other way than by paying) grants power to those throwing money at the system.

+1 very well put
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • number13deathnumber13death Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    myschaella wrote: »
    Personally I think a rez skill should be added for clerics at least above lvl 50 and should be a daily power. I think this limited ability to cast a rez would reflect the effort and channelling of divine power adequately enough to make rez a limited and exhausting divine ability.
    I think it should be a daily that heals a single player half their health, even if they're are dying/unconscious (and thus brings back into the battle). Though I would stress against calling it a resurrection power. Is there a Cure Serious Wounds daily? Probably would to make it so that it doesn't work on Cleric, only on friendly targets.
  • mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    4ED cleric's can have Res, if they take the Miracle worker paragon path. One of the supposed "healers" that don't exist in D&D 4ED.

Here is a PDF file, for the Miracle worker paragon.
    https://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/excerpts/excerpt_dp_pp2.pdf

"Miraculous Grace"
    Trigger: An ally within 5 squares of you drops to 0 hit points or fewer.
    Effect: The target regains hit points as if he or she had spent a healing surge and regains 2d6 additional hit points. In addition, the target makes a saving throw against each effect on him or her that a save can end.

They need to add the Miracle worker paragon path, so we can have a choice between Divine oracle and the Miracle worker, also I feel the Astral savant would be a great mix of both support and damage, Divine oracles are more damage based than anything with a few mitigation skills.
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • toadoflickingtoadoflicking Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    mewbrey wrote: »
    "Miraculous Grace"
    Trigger: An ally within 5 squares of you drops to 0 hit points or fewer.
    Effect: The target regains hit points as if he or she had spent a healing surge and regains 2d6 additional hit points. In addition, the target makes a saving throw against each effect on him or her that a save can end.
    That's not a resurrection. That's simply a heal. A character isn't dead until they hit negative bloodied or fail three death saving throws without a rest. I guess it's possible that a character take enough damage so that the triggering hit takes them from 1 to negative bloodied. But it's not common, and I certainly haven't seen the monster that can do it. MM3 monsters are more dangerous than the monsters in the first MM, but they're not *that* dangerous.

Resurrection before the epic tier isn't just a ritual. The Warpriest gets a resurrection power at level 8, but it has to be done after an extended rest. It should also be noted that, in the epic tier, a large number of EDs gain some power that starts with the words, "Once per day, when you die ...."

I'd rather they extend the duration of the assist timer rather than give clerics a rez. I wouldn't want to run around with one of my dailies (because that's where a rez would go) devoted to that. Let people buy those scrolls. I'll pass on them.
  • cwiyk13cwiyk13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've seen a number of posts surprised that Clerics in NW do not have a rez power. I just wanted to point out that Clerics in 4E tabletop D&D do not have a rez power either. At least not in the PHB. WotC did publish a level 22 rez called "Revive" in the optional Divine Power splatbook. However, even if Cryptic decides to use this power, a level 22 4E D&D character is equivalent to a level 66 Neverwinter character. So that would be after they raise the level cap to encompass Epic tier.
    I am completely fine with them adding a rez for Clerics in keeping with MMO standards. Just don't think it is a D&D standard anymore. As of 4E, resurrection as a power is available only to Clerics who are in the Epic Tier. And only if the DM uses the Divine Power book. These are characters who are often on the path to immortality or even divinity themselves.

These are valid points.

I do want Cleric resurrection abilities added, as you say, "in keeping with MMO standards." Respawning at the last passed campsite is a feature already implemented strictly due to mmo mechanics.

Well said.
    Krae Vull - Devoted Cleric
  • thorordragonbanethorordragonbane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 162 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I don't understand the "advantage" your talking about ....if someone uses a rez scroll how does that hurt me? it doesn't make the game harder for me , just easier for them. it has no effect on my gameplay I prefer they stick to lore as much as possible ...its pve ... someone cant have and advantage over someone else if they aren't competing....now if they start letting monsters rez each other with the scrolls and we cant , maybe you have a case
  • ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's really hard to die in 4e, actually its been really hard to die in D&D since like 3rd Edition. You need either a very stupid party or a very vindictive mean DM. I can handle stupid parties, because actually characters willing to do dumb things make games a lot of fun, but there's nothing worse than a vindictive, competitive DM.

Being a DM is much like being an actor, you have to be very generous to everyone around you on stage, it's the best way to make yourself look good. Amazes me people can DM for decades and not understand the concept. Generous doesn't mean Monty Haul either, it means letting your players take as much as the spotlight as they want, you are not there to dictate, you are there to facilitate.

So I am not sure how necessary resurrection is. I ran campaigns for years, where they were EXTREMELY rare, but then I always ran campaigns where it wasn't always clear the gods were actually there, or if they were, if they were ever listening or really cared about what happened to you. It's the "Conan" influence I guess. :)
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • vestinious1vestinious1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Whilst what your saying is correct the game isnt using the D&D game engine but a MMO based variant as has been said before now.
    So while going down a straight D&D route would require very high levels this is an MMO and things dont work that way for example PVP !
    So what is needed is a res/raise dead D&D styled plugin for the MMO, looks and feels like D&D but without the time requirements etc.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    If anything, this cuts out the 100's of posts that are something like "OMG I can't believe the Cleric doesn't have a rez, this is D&D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!111!111!!!!!!!!1"
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • theblueshepherdtheblueshepherd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is what happens when your spells don't go off.... Might be a dead magic zone. So Rez may not work anyways...

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, and why we died. All that matters is that today, two stood against many. Valor pleases you, so grant me this one request. Grant me revenge!

And if you do not listen, the HELL with you!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

___________House Kal'Daka Recruiting______________
    GUILD SITE: http://housekaldaka.enjin.com/
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Well, it seems clear that there is at least one Cleric who can bring the dead topics back.
  • inthere23inthere23 Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Actually every player has the ability to resurrect someone just by using the "f" key. Remove this ability from all classes except cleric.
    Venril Sathir- CW
    Venril- SW
    Lurch- GF
    Mini Ven- DC
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Everyone gets one rez anyways , then everyone has access to another if they choose in soulforge, then many classes have a last minute save skill as well..

I dont see the need to use a encounter power to rez someone in this game, without expanding power buttons.

There are many things I would rather see first, like the hold skill... now that would be useful.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Uhm...this thread is from March of 2013 - so obviously someone here has the resurrection ability.....or is this just an evil necromancy spell?
    Hoping for improvements...
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    lol.. didnt even see that!

Well at least you made me laugh adinosii!
  • spelltrapspelltrap Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Let me start out by saying being a long time D&D player that the recent incarnations of this wonderful game are nothing more than a cheap imitation of WoW. Limiting play styles and putting character classes into striker, controller, and such is pure blashphemy. Neverwinter 1 was far superior in that it allowed multiple spells to be utilized creatively in PvE and PvP. Something like darkness and silence 15' radius totally turned the tables on even higher level casters if they didn't remain calm and remove themselves from the AoE. True seeing and Harm were the bane of rogues. The power of the Gods was truly manifested in earlier versions of the cleric in that Heal was for full HPs. We now walk around with a cheap cure moderate wounds. Permastealth rogues slowly peck away at us until their cooldown is finished for the big strike. CWs hit us with OP ridiculous control and burn us down in 2-3 seconds. At least in the previous mod it took the GWF 5+ seconds to kill us. Now it's ranged.

You guys want rez? I want the ability to not need rez. I don't need any OP super ability. Just something that gives me a fighting chances versus a 14K GS CW new player. Even barely geared CWs can complete PvP domination with pugs. Resurrection does nothing to help the DC complete the PvP kill tasks.
    Captain Jack Level 70 DC.

.BLADE RUNNERS.
  • almondumalmondum Member Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Thank you for explaining why we can't have a direct Ressurection power right now.

I would like to note another thing. Clerics have Direct Healing Powers: Healing Word, Bastion of Health, Guardian of Faith, etc.

Why the Cleric's don't REVIVE the players when they use these powers? It's a direct heal after all, which means it heals strong wounds that put the people on the ground in first place...

Can the Cleric REVIVE his allies with his DIRECT healing Powers in 4e D&D? (I don't know much about D&D 4 e)

I would like to see this added to the game.

Example: someone has 10% HP, Cleric casts Divine Healing Word or Divine Bastion of Health but the targets gets gravely wounded before the animation ended and lays on ground asking for a REVIVE. Why in this case, the Healing Word's Heal or Bastion's Heal does not REVIVE them?!

(I'm not asking for a ressurection, just for an instant revive mechanic with Divine Mode Direct Heals, or Direct Healing Dailies.

Thank you for reading.
  • plaviaplavia Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I don't think revive will make lot of difference for DC
    I played DND more them 20 years ago... played beholders gate as well (so far its the closest game I saw to DND)
    this game have some features from DND but as ppl said, its resemble more WOW, vinidictus or even maple story

for a DC I hope they will make some changes that resemble more DND
    * I probably play very old version of DND so don't go hard on me

1) WIS is our main ability score. but the control impact is almost nothing. in fact. most classes will try to keep this on minimum score
    It will be nice if they will make the control resist / bonus more like crit. that means you have a chance to roll and completely ignore control attack. so naked cleric with 27 WIS will have 17% chance that control attack wont effect him. all other control bonuses will be multiple of WIS and elven stat should be changed ofc (its about time they will fix it)
    now the control resist we are getting is ~0.05 sec less control time...

2)I am not familiar with DND dodge, but neverwinter DC dodge looks bad. its like we slip on a banana or something
    either make it nice (using power of light or something) or...
    completely change it to something like GF, we can have astal guard blocking 80% of the damage for example. doing it with divinity will cosume stamina 2X but will ggive you immunity to control as well. you can also add feat into it (like the last feat of righteous gives you the ability to share this guard on other players with 5 feet around you) obviously they have to change exaltation :)

our soothing light should also be bit more life saving, make it heal + control resist + stamina refill to others only (0 impact on us)
    punishing light should blind the target as well, real blind. not make them dizzy. when target is attacked it will turn it screed into white during time and target will lose focus of auto aim attacks as well

any way, I am looing forward for the next changes :)