test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Crossover for Mac and GPUs

gridwardengridwarden Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
This question is for those playing Neverwinter via WINE or Crossover:

I've been playing Neverwinter on my 2011 Mac Mini (with the Radeon 6630M) and a 2012 i7 MacBook Air. Both play rather smoothly on Low settings, but the MBA has a graphical glitch with armor/weapon skins.

Since I've been enjoying this game so much, I'm seriously considering building a hackintosh to play on High (not Ultra) graphics setting. How is Crossover's performance with the midrange nVidia and Radeon GPUs? Which card should I get if I allocate ~$300 for it?

Again, this thread is for Crossover users. I know the game will play great if I dual boot into Windows.

Mahalo!
Post edited by gridwarden on

Comments

• Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Have you tried Bootcamp method?

I apologize I'm not answering your question directly. But I've done the Bootcamp way and it's a LOT better than emulation through Parallels or VMWare Fusion. As for what you're asking, I apologize again as that's a touch out of my comfort zone to answer. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Have you tried Bootcamp method?

I apologize I'm not answering your question directly. But I've done the Bootcamp way and it's a LOT better than emulation through Parallels or VMWare Fusion. As for what you're asking, I apologize again as that's a touch out of my comfort zone to answer. :)

I'd like to avoid bootcamping/dual booting. WINE/Crossover does NOT emulate Windows, it pretty much ports the game to my OS.
  • Options
    lihin23nihillihin23nihil Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    gridwarden wrote: »
    This question is for those playing Neverwinter via WINE or Crossover:

Since I've been enjoying this game so much, I'm seriously considering building a hackintosh to play on High (not Ultra) graphics setting. How is Crossover's performance with the midrange nVidia and Radeon GPUs? Which card should I get if I allocate ~$300 for it?

I'm not going to make a recommendation as I have no experience with Hackintoshes or Crossover on OSX, however I have played this game through Wine on Linux. Here's the CPU/GPU which I played with High visual settings at 1680x1050 and was comfortable with the performance. Since you are talking about building a system I'll list CPU as well as I feel this is important for Wine.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 550Ti 1GB

If your budget is just for GPU then presumably you'd get a much better graphics card than that as it's a couple of years old now.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Great, that's good to know. I was wondering if the nVidia GTX 660 Ti would be good enough for High visual settings and you confirmed it.

Should I bother with 16GB RAM or will 8GB do?
  • Options
    lihin23nihillihin23nihil Member Posts: 229 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    gridwarden wrote: »
    Should I bother with 16GB RAM or will 8GB do?

You could probably get away with 2GB of RAM tbh :) but RAM's cheap and you'll find a use for more I guess. I have 16GB but use this machine for more than playing games - I typically have a VM or two chugging away in the background. I don't recall seeing Neverwinter taking more than 1GB but it may have done so at times.

If I needed a new GPU I'd probably go with a GTX 660Ti definitely a step up in performance and memory. Again though my experience is with Linux not OSX and I've stuck with NV cards for the last 10 years out of habit - ymmv.