test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will we have the ability to multiclass?

alcamezddoalcamezddo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Im curious if we will have the ability to multi class ?
Post edited by alcamezddo on

Comments

• Options
    mogwaimogwai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    no, but if you join a RP guild you can pretend
    mmorpg is R'lyehian for: Innumerable quantities of grown babies
    discussing & often complaining about the imaginary.
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1618000&dateline=1316204434[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Multiclassing works differently in 4th edition then it did in 3rd edition. It is done by taking specific feats that give you some of the abilities of a second class, and further feats that allow you to swap out some of your powers for powers of the 2nd class. Now, since they did away with how feats work in Neverwinter and made them skill trees instead, I would see it is very unlikely that we will see multiclassing.
  • Options
    fr0gurtfr0gurt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    On the other hand, a multiclass slot would be a nifty cash shop item. So instead of rolling up an alt character with a new character slot, you can add another class to your main character with a multiclass slot. For game balance reasons, you can only change classes by visiting a trainer or guild hall in a safe zone, and you will have to level it up separately.

Edit: Well, I guess that means doing the storyline over again unless alternate leveling paths become available. Idea probably needs more work.
  • Options
    enochenoch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    fr0gurt wrote: »
    On the other hand, a multiclass slot would be a nifty cash shop item. So instead of rolling up an alt character with a new character slot, you can add another class to your main character with a multiclass slot. For game balance reasons, you can only change classes by visiting a trainer or guild hall in a safe zone, and you will have to level it up separately.

Edit: Well, I guess that means doing the storyline over again unless alternate leveling paths become available. Idea probably needs more work.

If they really wanted to go that route, they could create quests later on designed for multi-class development. But the next question is, what level to introduce it. If it is after you get to a high level, they could add it as an expansion later. If it is earlier on, it could be a small introduction quest-line and that's it. In DnD style, the secondary class would be limited, since you would still mainly be your first class, as in a single lifetime you cannot master two. Anyway, the inclusion seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to implement. And it could be done without impacting the rest of the game-play at all, but I know for a fact every one of my non clerics will be secondary clerics :p There definitely would need to be a lot of thought put into how, or even if, it should be implemented. If it is decided it should be done, I'm behind it 100% :)
  • Options
    nordveignordveig Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It maybe possible in the future but when you think about it now we don't have enough classes to multi-class.
  • Options
    reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    could easily have rogue-mage cleric-fighter and wizard-fighter or even variations on those
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    dardove wrote: »
    Multiclassing works differently in 4th edition then it did in 3rd edition. It is done by taking specific feats that give you some of the abilities of a second class, and further feats that allow you to swap out some of your powers for powers of the 2nd class. Now, since they did away with how feats work in Neverwinter and made them skill trees instead, I would see it is very unlikely that we will see multiclassing.

In one of the interviews it was mentioned that they are planning multi-classing, but that they would use the Hybrid multi-classing from the PHB 3 instead of the feat version. In 4E tabletop, the Hybrid system has you pick any two classes right from first level and you get a specific pre-determined subset of each class' hit points, class features, and powers each time you level.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Not till launch.

Also hybrid is what I think you are referring (check 4e Intro in my sig for an explanation to both these terms)

Multiclassing, Hybrid and Paragon Paths Explained!
  • Options
    corloc1corloc1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Would love to make an old time Elven Fighter Mage - ofc being able to cast in elven Chain! :D

But i think the trees are pretty much fixed into one class.

"We can't have it all, We must love what we get!"
  • Options
    sofademonsofademon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 75
    edited March 2013
    I have not seen any official discussion of multclass feats or a hybrid mechanic. Compared to the other DnD mmo that is out there (which is based on the 3rd edition rules) Never winter is a much less literal interpretation of the tabletop rules. While DDO tried to follow them very closely, Neverwinter is using them more for inspiration, lore, and fluff, but taking the mechanics in a different direction. I doubt that we will see multiclassing or anything similar.
  • Options
    galvayragalvayra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    We barely get one class in this system, more like a tenth of a class and all the powers are chosen for us. I don't forsee any multiclassing in this game's future, near or far.
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
  • Options
    pbuckleyheropbuckleyhero Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    fr0gurt wrote: »

Foundry anyone?
  • Options
    roninthehoodroninthehood Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    No there wont be multi classings for classes in this game.
  • Options
    reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    In one of the interviews it was mentioned that they are planning multi-classing, but that they would use the Hybrid multi-classing from the PHB 3 instead of the feat version. In 4E tabletop, the Hybrid system has you pick any two classes right from first level and you get a specific pre-determined subset of each class' hit points, class features, and powers each time you level.

oh wow any chance of a link love to know exactly what was said really hope they bring it in like a week or 2 after for the hardcore players if for no one else
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • Options
    digitaljedi30digitaljedi30 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I concur with the expansion of actual classes before multiclassing or hybrid classing be implemented.
  • Options
    pahnyepahnye Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would really love the idea of using skill trees to buy some traits from another class. For example, as well as the regular choices in the skill tree you could be given the choice of a couple of traits from a complimentary class. It'd be awesome!!
  • Options
    nodzesttnodzestt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    mogwai wrote: »
    no, but if you join a RP guild you can pretend

this sums it up
  • Options
    pwregsuckspwregsucks Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So.... why would anyone play this game?
  • Options
    redshift2k5redshift2k5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 241 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I would rather see hybrid classes than free-form multiclassing.
  • Options
    fenostfenost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'd like to see the option of multi-classing or a hybrid system. Since they changed the system to a more powers selection/ranks system similar to CO, I could see them easily adapting the game to allow "free-form" builds. Now that they've made that change, I'd also like to see them just have the generic classes as opposed to templates as classes. IE, combine the GWF and Guardian into just the Fighter class and let us choose which powers to take.
  • Options
    pro2pro2pro2pro2 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I guess i will always go back to NWN and DDO for my sandbox...I'm a creator its what i do. I love to create my characters more then play them...though playing them is fun making them is my favorite. Hope one day for an open world NWN or DDO with freeform builds but that's just me...or is it? :)
  • Options
    pandarider123pandarider123 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pro2pro2 wrote: »
    I guess i will always go back to NWN and DDO for my sandbox...I'm a creator its what i do. I love to create my characters more then play them...though playing them is fun making them is my favorite. Hope one day for an open world NWN or DDO with freeform builds but that's just me...or is it? :)

when elder scrolls online comes out that will fill my need to create. if I want to be a wizard wielding a crossbow I just use it. this game will just be a cookie cutter game..and will lose its glimmer when elder scrolls comes out.
  • Options
    pnellesenpnellesen Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I'm a big multi-classing fan (the much derided Battle Cleric and the Ranger-Fighter-Rogue are my bread and butter ;) ) - hope they implement some form of it, or at least give us another Cleric class that can do some melee.
  • Options
    edge1986edge1986 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 647 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    no

/10char
  • Options
    relmordrelmord Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i like the idea of multi-class features
    "Help the Dice are Trying to Kill Me!"