test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Buyer's remorse

swift71swift71 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
edited March 2013 in The Temple
It must be 30 years ago I cast my first Cure Light Wounds spell, in a TT game. So of course I was interested to hear there was a Neverwinter MMO coming. So a friend of mine sent me his friend beta key. I played a priest for bwe2, and enjoyed it quite a bt. Enough to go and get the Guardian pack. (Took a little while to decide which to get, because the bag of holding available at $20, and $200, was curiously absent from the $60 pack.)

Of course, having enjoyed it so much the first time, I decided to play the priest again for bwe3...

How much difference a couple of weeks can make.

The laundry list of issues has been beaten to death on the forums. I'm not sure what caused them to feel the need to do that much damage to the class. And while it's nice to know they'll try to fix the aggro problem (which they broke beyond all recognition in trying to make a slight adjustment), it's far more disturbing to know they don't feel at all concerned about nerfing healing abilities beyond usefulness. Yes, I like the more active priest role, and in bwe2, I was happy to accept I didn't have any real burst healing ability in exchange for having an active role on offense. But now, there's absolutely no point in slotting the first HoT encounter power. So to see in the Reddit AMA that the healing reduction, particularly the self-heal nerf is "working as intended"? And they're pretty happy with where the class is now. That's a bit more than I can take.

I am reminded of other mmo's, where the community was largely ignored, and where "minor" adjustments went notably overboard. I haven't allowed a Sony product in my house for 10 years now. I even waited years to buy a blu-ray player from another company, just because I didn't want them getting royalties.

Seeing as this is still pre-release, I'd still like to give them the benefit of the doubt. But it's the response to the community that really matters to me. And having read the AMA, I'm already seriously regretting my purchase. Live and learn.
Post edited by swift71 on

Comments

• Options
    braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I am a poster child for Buyer's Regret. I bought a lifetime sub for DCUO because I love comic books and superhero games (still play Champions to this day and THAT Lifetime sub was well worth it)... but then I played DCUO for a month, and then uninstalled it and haven't looked back.

Yeh, regret big time.

I have my worries about Neverwinter as well, but the key thing to remember is that it IS an MMO and they DO change over time, even (and especially) from a beta test weekend to actual launch.

It's certainly sensible to be wary and perhaps even have a deep abiding sense of foreboding... but there is always that glimmer of hope that they'll turn things around and it'll impress you when it's actually live. :)
  • Options
    savadioussavadious Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    braxzana wrote: »
    I am a poster child for Buyer's Regret. I bought a lifetime sub for DCUO ... but then I played DCUO for a month, and then uninstalled it and haven't looked back...

It is MUCH better since you quit.... because.. umm... they added a new thingy.... so umm.. ya...

lol.. well you did spring for the Hero of the north... I really REALLY want it too... but i have to buy for 3... so we may all just end up with the baby pack... unless I can sneak a HotN in for myself when they arent looking ! lol
    :P
  • Options
    l1zardo1l1zardo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Far too early to judge anything. They tried to balance 2 things with our class and bugged both of them.. Do you honestly think they will be the very same upon release?

If not, then why is everyone acting like it is ....

BW2 Clerics did not get healer aggro on bosses and they did not need potions at all. (unless you were addicted to red splats) That is broken.

If anything, I have some buyers remorse when looking ahead to maximizing gear and needing runes/enchants. Did the math, and it is fugly. Even worse, I did the math expecting to be able to get L5 drops .. which judging by the L52 instance might be incorrect.

L4 drops = 4096 runes without a failure to make a L10 (and an insane amount of Zen wards)
  • Options
    braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ever since DCUO moved from the original UI to a more Console Controller interface, I found it unbearable. Also hit the cap of 30 (back then anyway) and basically could not do any missions solo any more. In any event, that's my "regret" scenario. :)

WRT the runes --- I think I made one blue (rank 5) rune by the time I hit 50th level. Most drops were rank 3 with maybe some rank 4 here and there (but not many)... and I still got rank 1 drops --- I know this because I kept consolidating the lower-rank runes into higher-rank to save inventory space and yet KEPT getting rank 1 drops.

I would never spend Zen to get a 'guarantee fuse success' ward... and considering going from rank 4 to rank 5 is like 58%, I think... unless that was rank 3 to rank 4 (I forget)... I'm pretty much never going to see anything beyond rank 6, I imagine. And considering the cost in astral diamonds to REMOVE a rune, I won't be USING the rank 5s or higher until I know I won't be changing gear... which means end-game really. So up to then I'll just be using rank 2 - 4 stuff that happens to drop (and I don't hoard to consolidate into higher ranks).
  • Options
    lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Problem I see is that the situation won't change that much. Even with the healing fix, it makes for 100-200 ticks for HW at the 30's. Basically, potions will be the only viable method of self-healing.

Even running with Sunburst + HW, you're looking at a max regen (sans potions) of 5000 over 10 seconds at level 30. I was regularly taking 1000-2000 per "white damage" hit from mobs.

In a group scenario, you'll still be pretty viable using talented AoE debffs and all, but you're not going to keep up with a lieutenant's white damage anytime soon.

It's not going to be pretty, folks.

For my part, I enjoyed the CW, and will likely play him until they fix the cleric. Because it's not a viable soloing character levels 35+. And in groups, they'll be useful enough to include, but they aren't going to be amazing (*cough*trickster roguecontrol wizard*cough*).

I'm sure that some white knight will come along to disprove all of this. Go for it. And when trying to get from level 40-60 and have to keep stacks of 99 pots to get through content (meanwhile the CW is fine finishing content with 10), let me know how that works out for "fun".
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The aggro is being fixed, the self-heal is working as currently designed.

Ways to heal include potions, Life Steal, Regeneration, Clerics, portable altars, campsites, healing companions and a few self-heal powers. As a Cleric, you still have way more self-heal potential via powers than other characters do. All characters, including Clerics, should invest in at least 2 of these healing methods, probably 3. At high levels you will need to combine at least 3 of them to survive.

Ways to avoid damage in the first place include movement (involving moving out of red circles, using the various shift utility powers, and just paying attention to the enemy animations), crowd control powers, tanking companions, AC, Defense, and Deflection.

Clerics in NW don't keep your health bars full all the time (or their own), but they help conserve consumables and stamina points for when they are really needed while contributing in other ways. And they should still have an easier time keeping themselves in the fight than other characters if they also use the other means available.
  • Options
    babylonbabylon Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sounds good on paper doesn't it^

:p
    THIS IS CLERIC AGGRO IN BW3
  • Options
    babylonbabylon Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Also OP - PWE give refunds, I was able to get the two packs I bought refunded no problems.
    THIS IS CLERIC AGGRO IN BW3
  • Options
    si1verange1si1verange1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    swift71 wrote: »
    Of course, having enjoyed it so much the first time, I decided to play the priest again for bwe3...

How much difference a couple of weeks can make.

This, pretty much.

I quit playing Champions shortly after launch because Taser Arrow was broken, and I loved my Calamity Cricket character and didn't want to remake her as a different concept. So I waited for them to fix Taser Arrow. I logged in last spring, over 2 years after launch, and the skill is still broken. The arrows stick to Cricket's hands and make an endless, unacceptable, stuck zapping buzz in combat that can't be turned off without turning off all combat sounds. Apparently some people have faith in Cryptic to fix things. I do not.
  • Options
    ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I feel the pain of DCUO. Although I never bought a lifetime, that game was just so, well, disappointing. I too played it for 30 days and never looked back.

I tell my gamer friends all the time to never buy lifetime subs, to never by "deluxe" or "collector editions" of any game and to never pre-order from a brick and mortar store. I can tell you, that I make a thousand mistakes as a consumer as well, but those rules serve me really, really well.

I feel the pain of the OP, but I can't really offer sympathy. In other words, I see the hurt, but I also know part of it is self-inflicted.

These games are very transient things. What costs money today is free tomorrow (SWTOR). What has great value today in the game is useless tomorrow (green is the new purple). Games can die on you entirely (COH). Other games become so empty, they might as well be dead (Warhammer). Some games launch with terrible lag, that is eventually addressed (LOTRO). Some games promise a lot more than they ever delivered (Champions). Some games are so cutthroat that it is only a matter of time before you get burned (EVE). Some games require ridiculous amount of practice to get to the top tier (World of Tanks). Some games look like sure-fire hits, but wound up being completely boring after just 5 hours of game play (Spore). Others crash, burn and don't even really work at all (Sim City).

You have to "invest" in games with eyes open. These are silly, fantasy games. They are fun. I love them. But they are, I have to tell you, one of the least important things in your life. DO NOT invest too much emotion or hope in these things, or they WILL disappoint you.

There is no video game ever, that you won't one day quit, or walk away from, in lieu of something shinier and new around the corner.

That new and shiny game is not far away, today, maybe that game is Neverwinter, but tomorrow it won't be, tomorrow Neverwinter will be old hat. Nobody will remember you had the sparkle horse that cost you sixty bucks. Nobody.

So, spend wisely and remember, this is as all as temporary as an ice cream cone. It won't last.
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!