test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Rogue's weapons

tilidustilidus Member Posts: 12 Arc User
edited March 2013 in The Thieves' Den
Hi

I wondering wich weapons,exept daggers will rogue can use....??
Post edited by tilidus on

Comments

• Options
    braxzanabraxzana Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Since any weapon would likely have to share the animation of Sly Flourish and the other attacks, I would imagine rogues could use any relatively small blades, possibly even up to scimitars... longswords and katanas and similar blades may be too long to work with the animations and two hand weapons are likely impossible to use.

Not sure about blunt weapons --- most D&D type games I know of ~allow~ rogues to use mace/blackjack kind of blunt weapons but thematically we're all about the stabby-stabby, not the smashy-smashy.
  • Options
    garrettroguegarrettrogue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 71
    edited February 2013
    braxzana wrote: »
    Since any weapon would likely have to share the animation of Sly Flourish and the other attacks, I would imagine rogues could use any relatively small blades, possibly even up to scimitars... longswords and katanas and similar blades may be too long to work with the animations and two hand weapons are likely impossible to use.

Not sure about blunt weapons --- most D&D type games I know of ~allow~ rogues to use mace/blackjack kind of blunt weapons but thematically we're all about the stabby-stabby, not the smashy-smashy.

Basically this. From what I have seen it looks to be only short bladed weapons like daggers, shortswords, etc...
  • Options
    tilidustilidus Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Basically this. From what I have seen it looks to be only short bladed weapons like daggers, shortswords, etc...

i'd love to see my trickster rogue also with some nice looking two swords carrying on my back
  • Options
    rackhamgreg74rackhamgreg74 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 105 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    If the 4th edition Player's Handbook any indication, Rogues can use daggers, short swords, shuriken, slings, and hand crossbows.

I don't think shuriken, slings, or hand crossbows have been spotted in any released footage yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if Cryptic will allow short bows instead of hand crossbows.

I also wonder if they'll allow racial weapon proficiencies? I may have to change my plans for a half-elf rogue to an elf so that use long swords. ;)
    rackham_dane_stag_zps4f4c6695.jpg
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Expect to us what you see in the video animations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    razmaximusrazmaximus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 23
    edited February 2013
    Be awesome to see a mixture of shorthand weapons like Scythe, Fist weapons and Daggers with different trait abilities for whichever you desire to choose.
  • Options
    quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I also wonder if they'll allow racial weapon proficiencies? I may have to change my plans for a half-elf rogue to an elf so that use long swords. ;)

I highly doubt it.

My guess is, there won't really be "weapon types" as we know them in PnP D&D. There will just be "Trickster Rogue weapons". Some might look like daggers, some like short swords, or rapiers, or sickles, or whatever, but they'll just be skins. There won't be "base" stats for those weapon types; individual weapons will just have whatever stats a designer wants to put on them.

My other guess is that there won't be any ranged weapons for Trickster Rogue, but we might get powers that include whipping out a crossbow for a quick shot, or throwing daggers. But that the crossbow or throwing daggers won't be actual items that you find and equip.
  • Options
    gammanshadowrushgammanshadowrush Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am wondering about this myself (weapons available to Rogues, that is). I'm planning to recreate an old D&D character of mine, who wielded a longsword (or katana) in his main-hand and a dagger in his off-hand. Would be nice to know if I could do so.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    I highly doubt it.

My guess is, there won't really be "weapon types" as we know them in PnP D&D. There will just be "Trickster Rogue weapons". Some might look like daggers, some like short swords, or rapiers, or sickles, or whatever, but they'll just be skins. There won't be "base" stats for those weapon types; individual weapons will just have whatever stats a designer wants to put on them.

My other guess is that there won't be any ranged weapons for Trickster Rogue, but we might get powers that include whipping out a crossbow for a quick shot, or throwing daggers. But that the crossbow or throwing daggers won't be actual items that you find and equip.

Weapons ARE class/build locked.

And they DO get ranged attacks also.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ichyxichyx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Axes are something a rogue can use throughout many mmorpgs, another possibility
  • Options
    silknightsilknight Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 199
    edited February 2013
    During the first weekend beta, I beat some boss and I got an axe I was able to use, don't know if it was just a bugged Item or not, but it worked anyway. I'm hoping that once the game does finally launch there will be more skins for the items.
  • Options
    elminbanelminban Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Weapons ARE class/build locked.

And they DO get ranged attacks also.

I cannot tell if you are confirming what he/she said or providing or not. The lack of non-verbal ques makes internet communication tricky. > <
    2.jpg
  • Options
    asumah1asumah1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited February 2013
    As long as my elf gets to use scimitars or rapiers I will be happy, if not, then I guess daggers and short swords will have to do.
  • Options
    ladydwarfladydwarf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    A pair of small hand axes would be ideal for the character I have in mind. Your average shield dwarf would choose them over daggers any day. :D If indeed there is a general "trickster rogue weapon" category, and I can reskin daggers into hand axes, even better!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Learn more about this heretical halfling on the Neverwinter Hall of Records or Neverwinter Roleplayers
  • Options
    kinsaedakinsaeda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    People where getting hand axes last beta I hear :)
  • Options
    saviorgunsaviorgun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kinsaeda wrote: »
    People where getting hand axes last beta I hear :)

If I still have it, I have a screen shot of me with 2 axes on my Rogue.
    Rhek-60 GWF <Folklore>. "Rheking" damage meters since launch. Follow my streamwww.mmominds.com
  • Options
    blondesolidblondesolid Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 48
    edited March 2013
    Yip, I got a hand axe earlier today.
  • Options
    silverdovesilverdove Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I honestly wished they would just go with the player's handbook information instead of making this stuff up. I want my rogue to wield a short sword, or as an elf, a longsword. But then, perfect world is not known for listening to its customers.
  • Options
    makubimakubi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31
    edited March 2013
    silverdove wrote: »
    I honestly wished they would just go with the player's handbook information instead of making this stuff up. I want my rogue to wield a short sword, or as an elf, a longsword. But then, perfect world is not known for listening to its customers.

If only...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [ +2 Lipstick of Power ]

I draw my own signature/avatar when I am bored.
  • Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So Rogue CAN use Short Swords?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    redstonedawnredstonedawn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    silverdove wrote: »

The use of longswords by a wrong isn't a make this up sort of issue, it's a would a weapon of that size work with animations issue.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »
    So Rogue CAN use Short Swords?

There are Rogue weapons that are short swords, but you have to find one. And most likely, they'll have worse stats compared to whatever much more common daggers you find.

I really wish we could use the appearance reskin to make our daggers look like short swords, or axes, or whatever, but they don't allow it for some reason.
  • Options
    enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    quorforged wrote: »
    There are Rogue weapons that are short swords, but you have to find one. And most likely, they'll have worse stats compared to whatever much more common daggers you find.

I really wish we could use the appearance reskin to make our daggers look like short swords, or axes, or whatever, but they don't allow it for some reason.

The appearnce system is real buggy atm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    themangroththemangroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I was so excited when I found a rogue axe, but then realized it was a couple levels lower than my current blue quality dagger, and only had about 1/2 the weapon damage.
  • Options
    kinsaedakinsaeda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I was so excited when I found a rogue axe, but then realized it was a couple levels lower than my current blue quality dagger, and only had about 1/2 the weapon damage.

Did you try to reskin it?
  • Options
    gogolirngogolirn Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    is there a planned reskin system where for instance i can change my dagger appearance into scimitars?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    gogolirn wrote: »
    is there a planned reskin system where for instance i can change my dagger appearance into scimitars?

I didn't see any Rogue scimitars, but I tried to reskin a dagger with an axe I found, and it didn't work. Although, I also wasn't able to use most of my daggers to reskin that dagger either, so who knows if that's intentional, or if reskinning is simply bugged.

I certainly hope they will allow reskinning any Rogue weapon with any other Rogue weapon (and same for other classes of course). I don't see any good reason to artificially limit it.
  • Options
    gogolirngogolirn Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I hope too :/