test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What engine is this game based on?

biermondbiermond Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 7 Arc User
edited March 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I'd like to know wether or not this game is based on STO (star trek online) engine, due its capability of making adventures or "quests" for other players. STO has also the same capability.

And was there an option to turn DX11 on? What really made me laugh was how all characters in game looked like they had that one extra cup of coffee in the morning.
Post edited by biermond on

Comments

• Options
    fascinofascino Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Its is Cryptic's proprietary own engine, that runs all of their current mmo's and Neverwinter. The UGC system in STO was never made for STO in the first place, but envisioned for Neverwinter, so the Neverwinter version will be much more advanced. At least according to STO devs that spoke on STOked way back.

DX11... no clue.

Vires Animi
  • Options
    mogwaimogwai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    it's Cryptics engine, thus account info between games is shared like friends list, zen, can even see mail from other games.
    mmorpg is R'lyehian for: Innumerable quantities of grown babies
    discussing & often complaining about the imaginary.
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1618000&dateline=1316204434[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xgamemonsterxxgamemonsterx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I just wish they could have kept a standardized keybind across all their games [I know some stuff would change of course]. Going into this past beta weekend I found myself turning the quest path on and off because I'm used to using 'Z' to interact with objects in STO and CO. After the weekend, I found myself hitting 'F' instead of 'Z' to try and interact with stuff in the other games. ;)
  • Options
    aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I recall having to turn off DX 11 support and use DX 10. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    sjirosjiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    For DX11/D3D11:

Launch the game and click Options at the main menu.
    Click the Video tab.
    Check the Show advanced video settings box.
    Scroll all the way to the bottom of the video dialog box.
    Click the big Troubleshooting button.
    Select Your Card (direct3d 11 - Beta) option from the Video card (restart required) drop down selection box.

Apply and restart your client. Have fun!
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    All Cryptic games are directly linked... once NWO launches, you'll be able to chat with your online STO and CO friends as well, including any fleets/groups/chat channels, etc.

It's weird to me when I'm in CO to see my STO Fleetmates chatting up a storm - NWO is supposed to be the same (based on a comment I saw from a Dev or otherwise Cryptic official).

So all the social stuff: Email, friends coming online notices, chat, yadda, yadda.
  • Options
    savadioussavadious Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    ...once NWO launches, you'll be able to chat with your online STO and CO friends as well, including any fleets/groups/chat channels, etc....

That was already working as of Beta 3... it was nice to stay in touch with my guildies !

NOTE: the OP asked about what engine this is based on ... I actually have a photo of this engine.

Also known as a "difference engine" :cool:

difference_engine_1991.jpg

jk
    :P
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 54
    edited March 2013
    biermond wrote: »
    I'd like to know wether or not this game is based on STO (star trek online) engine, due its capability of making adventures or "quests" for other players. STO has also the same capability.

And was there an option to turn DX11 on? What really made me laugh was how all characters in game looked like they had that one extra cup of coffee in the morning.

It's Cryptic's own engine. Whch is a greatly enhanced version of their City of Heroes engine. The biggest difference is that they build their own database engine which is designed for the needs of an MMOG. The single game server technology their current games are using are the result of that.

[Redundant section is redundant.]
  • Options
    kwsapphirekwsapphire Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I just wish they could have kept a standardized keybind across all their games [I know some stuff would change of course]. Going into this past beta weekend I found myself turning the quest path on and off because I'm used to using 'Z' to interact with objects in STO and CO. After the weekend, I found myself hitting 'F' instead of 'Z' to try and interact with stuff in the other games. ;)

Don't forget, you can change your key-mapping in NW, and then save it so it can be imported on other toons. (You save the "UI", which also saves your key binds. This isn't intuitive at all to me, but that's supposedly how it works.) So by all means, use the same key for "action" in all your games! (I certainly re-assigned a lot of keys!!)
    qtPt2I
  • Options
    lysico67lysico67 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    yeah how do you reload the UI? I am left handed so all my key maps are backwards then normal. Got old remapping this last weekend.

I tried to save and load the ui but nothing worked.

Thanks
  • Options
    kwsapphirekwsapphire Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 671 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Hm, that may be a bug. The way it's supposed to work is you set your UI and key mapping the way you want it, save the settings, and then you should be able to load those settings to other characters. If it isn't working that way once we get to play again, I would definitely /bug it!
    qtPt2I