test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Deflect

lightmaster83lightmaster83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 30
edited May 2013 in PvE Discussion
Does anybody know and explain me in concrete terms how the deflect works and what is the difference between deflect and defense? thanks :)
Araldi_Derna_Lightmaster.jpg
Post edited by lightmaster83 on

Comments

• Options
    torietorie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think deflect should return damage to the attacker, proportional to the damage they did on you. (It might also lower the damage you get, not sure)
    Defense just filters the damage you get and makes it be less.
  • Options
    idontcomehereidontcomehere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I think its an atuomatic nullification of all damage done. Not sure how it effects CC.
  • Options
    lightmaster83lightmaster83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 30
    edited March 2013
    maybe someone can suggest me a good method to understand in game how deflect works....is there a log or something like this where i can check if and how points in declect stat could help my character?
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 54
    edited March 2013
    Take this with a grain of salt. The game terms are intermixing in my head. I may be confusing NW game terms. Defense and Deflection are equivalent to Champions Online Dodge and Avoidance.

I believe that Defense deals with your chance to dodge out of the way of a attack. Deflection is the amount of damage that you avoid as a percentage. You may think of it a glancing blow. And you can see the numbers you stats give you by holding the cursor over the stat. You'll get pop-up into with close to real-time numbers.

Edit: And to CYA myself. I may be confused on Defense which may increase your overall Damage Resistance.
  • Options
    idontcomehereidontcomehere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 156 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Defense attributes to damage resistance, Deflection seems to be just the chance to avoid the attack entirely.
  • Options
    dollahzdollahz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ingame tooltip:

Deflect- Increase the chance that you will ignore a large amount of incoming damage.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    dollahz wrote: »
    Ingame tooltip:

Deflect- Increase the chance that you will ignore a large amount of incoming damage.

exact...i don't understand that "large amount"...
    it is clear that defense actually decreases the damage suffered as a percentage that increases with the score of defense...but deflect "ignore a large amount" and i don't understand if it allows to totally ignore an injury, or if only prevent a part of it, and how this happens ... and for those who know a little D & D rules and Neverwinternights transposition of those, making an hard comparison , I would like to know if somehow deflect takes the place, sadly left, by the real use of the AC, allowing in some way to avoid all or at least part of an attack, as in this MMO CA only increases the damage resistance .... and if deflect really avoids damage as AC in D & D. ... what takes the place of the attack roll? is it armor prenetation? finally, are armor prenetation and deflect opposite stats, like power and defense are opposites about damage?
  • Options
    mogwaimogwai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    it's possible the meaning got lost in translation

deflect does seem to be on adds often enough to make it worth stacking, but i wouldn't try to do it as my main focus.
    mmorpg is R'lyehian for: Innumerable quantities of grown babies
    discussing & often complaining about the imaginary.
    [SIGPIC]http://pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1618000&dateline=1316204434[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Gah darn double post. (x.x)
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    healhamstahealhamsta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 572 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Defense = Damage reduction.
    Deflect = Basically be a "dodge" but you still take a tiny bit of damage.
    Delve loot murdered my TR, DC, & GWF. Nerf Plox:
    I know that it sucks to no longer get gear to sell from the Dungeon Delve chest but it was truly overpowered.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Sorry for the double thread, i delete the other! ty all for the informations/suppositions...if anybody knows more, i really appreciate :)
  • Options
    tdudefacetdudeface Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My best guess is that Deflection is supposed to be looked at as a dodge type of effect i.e. a random chance to avoid incoming damage. The big thing that makes it different in this game is that because you will take a tiny bit damage from the attack, you'll still get all of the effects associated with that move. So, if it's a debuff then you'll still take the debuff, or a DoT, or a CC effect.

This helps promote guardian blocking and manual player dodging over just stacking tons of Deflection as a counter to special effects.
  • Options
    walentinowalentino Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Defense attributes to damage resistance, Deflection seems to be just the chance to avoid the attack entirely.

I think so too
  • Options
    corloc1corloc1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    torie wrote: »
    I think deflect should return damage to the attacker, proportional to the damage they did on you. (It might also lower the damage you get, not sure)

I believe that would be "reflect"
    Deflect seems to be a stat to "dodge" some of the incoming attacks.
    Though a Magical Deflect would be a bit more powerful... hmm
  • Options
    coyotedeltacoyotedelta Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    torie wrote: »

Deflect suggests a redirection of damage away from the victim to another source other than the attacker. Reflect would suggest returning damage to the attack.

As far as I can tell, Deflect is a damage mitigation that occurs based on a percentage, that halves the damage you normally take.
  • Options
    tdudefacetdudeface Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Deflect suggests a redirection of damage away from the victim to another source other than the attacker. Reflect would suggest returning damage to the attack.

As far as I can tell, Deflect is a damage mitigation that occurs based on a percentage, that halves the damage you normally take.
    Oh, cool. I didn't ever look at how much the deflect was preventing. Are you pretty confident it was half damage?
  • Options
    almireldignoralmireldignor Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If you think of an example, like being shot with an arrow, you pretty much have three options: 1. Take the shot (not usually a good idea unless you're the tank or there's a special circumstance) 2. Dodge it (get out of the way entirely) 3. Deflect it (try to knock it out of its path with a sword, or gauntlet or some type of thing, taking a bit of damage, but a lot less then you would have)
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    healhamsta wrote: »
    Defense = Damage reduction.
    Deflect = Basically be a "dodge" but you still take a tiny bit of damage.

Pretty much this. Deflection is like parry in WoW, you deflect a great amount of the dmg but not all of it. I noticed during my playtime that I would periodically get a zig-zag arrow next to some dmg numbers which I think was a deflection which I invested in on my Trickster Rogue. I wanna say a bout 3/4 of the dmg was reduced but not entirely sure, the log didn't specify I thought when I looked at it.

As far as total avoidance of dmg that is you dodge ability, the shift, double tap, or sprint thing. I only got dodge numbers when I tumbled away from the mobs blows.
  • Options
    buldegradbuldegrad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013

If this is the case, why not just stack Defense so that you get it to around 50% (or higher) and get the same benefit? Seems redundant to me.
  • Options
    zagrim#6754 zagrim Member Posts: 144 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tdudeface wrote: »
    Oh, cool. I didn't ever look at how much the deflect was preventing. Are you pretty confident it was half damage?

You have something called "Deflect Severity" or something close to that in your character sheet. I'm pretty sure that is refered to as how much damage you avoid. On my GWF it is 50% but on my rogue its only 25%.
  • Options
    kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited May 2013
    buldegrad wrote: »
    If this is the case, why not just stack Defense so that you get it to around 50% (or higher) and get the same benefit? Seems redundant to me.

It stacks with defence though IE 25% defence DR and 50% deflect DR (assuming your a tank) = 62.5% total damage reduction when you deflect an attack.
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You have something called "Deflect Severity" or something close to that in your character sheet. I'm pretty sure that is refered to as how much damage you avoid. On my GWF it is 50% but on my rogue its only 25%.
    Basically this.

If you're familiar with CO, Deflect = Dodge and Deflect Severity = Avoidance.