test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Graphical issues?

nobunaga00nobunaga00 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
Hi,
Sorry for the last post who bugged...

After playing the two sessions of alfa test NeverWinter, i encountered some issues about my GPU (i guess).

I run the game with my GeForce 555 MGT DDR3go and i got 8go RAM, and after 5 minutes of perfect play (with no issues, great fluidity) , the game start to twitch. I got 1 FPS and it becomes unplayable

To remain this issues i just restart the game and it's again perfectly playable for 5-10 more minutes and there the issue come again.

According to http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1199&game=Neverwinter
i'm supposed to run the game quite well.
I don't know what to do, i don't know where this come from, maybe some of you got the same thing?

Thanks for your advices and answers

Sorry for my english, it's not my native language :)
Post edited by nobunaga00 on

Comments

• kadlenakadlena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298
    edited February 2013
    Sounds like it could be a heat issue? It's been a while since I've done hardware repair, but that would be my first guess. If that card has it's own fan, make sure it is working. And check any fans in the case. Sometimes it's just a matter of vacuuming out any "dust bunnies" that have accumulated in the vents of the case.
  • drakonlord56drakonlord56 Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I have to agree with Kad. I've seen this before. Remember that the GPU doesn't kick in until it goes into a 3D game. Pop the lid and watch the fan. Do you have a way to monitor the temperature of the GPU? I use MSI Afterburner to keep constant monitoring. One sure way to find out if the card is overheating is to play another 3D intensive game and see the results. Let us know what happened.
  • nobunaga00nobunaga00 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hi,
    Thanks you for answering my request.
    I have to admit that i though is was the heat, i tried to install Everest to see the temperature but i don't have the Trial version...
    My computer is a laptop and i haven't opened it up yet (1 year old), but it might be the dust.

Anyway the game was supposed to run on a "toaster" from some tells me, and i can run SKyrim with Ultra high performances hours and hours, this is wierd...

Maybe my GPU driver?
  • hosierman1hosierman1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 72
    edited February 2013
    nobunaga00 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Thanks you for answering my request.
    I have to admit that i though is was the heat, i tried to install Everest to see the temperature but i don't have the Trial version...
    My computer is a laptop and i haven't opened it up yet (1 year old), but it might be the dust.

Anyway the game was supposed to run on a "toaster" from some tells me, and i can run SKyrim with Ultra high performances hours and hours, this is wierd...

Maybe my GPU driver?

I initially thought heat when i saw your op, but if you can run skyrim for hours its not a hardware issue, it could be a memory leak in the game or possibly a latency issue but if you could run the game for even 5 minutes smoothly then it will run, its just finding the issue causing your problems.

being a laptop I think its most likely memory related
    Foundry quest NW-DKCR8S6GH
    Trouble at "The Rock" please play and review if you have the time, thanks
    edited February 2013
    The idea of memory leak comes to me too, that's why i thought about the GPU driver. Maybe the version is too new or what :(

But i guess if it was memory leaks, someone else would have the same problem...
  • kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yeah, this sounds like a heat issue and not a resource availability issue.

Plays game for 5-10 minutes and then it bombs out? Heat is building up and then gives out after 10 minutes:
    ...and after 5 minutes of perfect play (with no issues, great fluidity) , the game start to twitch.

Plays game again and heat builds up again:
    To remain this issues i just restart the game and it's again perfectly playable for 5-10 more minutes

If you can continuously play "fine" for 10 minutes just by restarting the game, it means that the GPU has cooled enough for you to run it again. I'd suggest you vaccuum out your PC, blow it out or try moving your GPU to another slot. May even want to consider adding an 80mm or 120mm case fan to assist with heat flow.
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
  • pegoliuspegolius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 62
    edited February 2013
    I'd try to close all programs before starting NW (inlcuding on-access scanner of your AV application). I had my antivirus app playing tricks on some games in the past. In the end I just had to exclude the game from the on-access scanner and that fixed the issue.
    "It is a mistake to bow to the wishes of munchkins who whine." - E. Gary Gygax 1938-2008
    edited February 2013
    Ok, i'll try it out next beta test then.
    Thanks for answering!
  • ganndogganndog Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Just wondering if you updated your graphics drivers to the latest Nvidia released a week or two ago, which caused serious stuttering in-game with my laptop, making MMO' unplayable. Rolled back to the previous driver and all is fine.

Just an idea!?
    'Get me out of this hell hole.'
  • eeynoeeyno Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 102 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Sometimes its actully the game causing the issues as I learned in testing some other games in beta. Beta graphics aren't always optimized and causes issues. Of course if multiple people are having the same issue its easier to tell that its game related than system related.
  • l1zardo1l1zardo1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    'find' a copy of AIDA64

Setup logging for whatever temps and loads you want. Then checkout the log file after it blows up. This is mainly for temps, as you could just run Performance Monitor for RAM/CPU/Network issues :)
  • rairedidimusrairedidimus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Specs:
    i7 @ 3.2
    16GB System RAM @ 1600
    Dual HD6990M's 2GB each in crossfire with latest non-beta driver (13.1)

I have been having a very similar issue to this since beta 2. Just after launch, my PC beasts the game. FPS never drops below 50, even in Neverwinter city. But after being in game for 3-5 minutes FPS drops to around 12 and stays there as long as I play. never drops to 1 and never crashes, just stays there. Strange thing here, it also runs great for a while after i alt-tab. I thought the same things as most, heat issue. Well wrap your mind around this...

I run MSI Afterburner and here's what I've noticed... During the times when the game runs smoothly (fresh launch or alt-tab) GPU 1 never gets above 35% load or above 70 degrees. GPU 2 no activity. When the FPS drops neither GPU has ANY activity or temp rising what so ever. I get more activity out of mine sweeper or solitaire. So I'm guessing here that the game is running entirely off my CPU at this point. Also the game never puts more than 2.8GB of RAM to work (including windows).

So by this point I'm thinking... Driver? Ok, so I've rolled back to the 12 series, 10, 9, hell even the factory installed beta driver that came straight from Dell (8.9). Exact same result across the driver spectrum. I'm at a loss. Really would like that smooth fresh play FPS rate all the time since I KNOW my hardware can do it, it teases me with it everytime I play.

This issue is the only thing that's kept me from buying a founder's pack. I'm not investing money in a game that runs like tar on my machine NOW and may run worse later. Not with all the money I dropped to get this rig to beast graphically non-demanding games like this, hell no.
  • zzaraxxinzzaraxxin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 60
    edited March 2013
    Specs:
    i7 @ 3.2
    16GB System RAM @ 1600

I have been having a very similar issue to this since beta 2. Just after launch, my PC beasts the game. FPS never drops below 50, even in Neverwinter city. But after being in game for 3-5 minutes FPS drops to around 12 and stays there as long as I play. never drops to 1 and never crashes, just stays there. Strange thing here, it also runs great for a while after i alt-tab. I thought the same things as most, heat issue. Well wrap your mind around this...

I run MSI Afterburner and here's what I've noticed... During the times when the game runs smoothly (fresh launch or alt-tab) GPU 1 never gets above 35% load or above 70 degrees. GPU 2 no activity. When the FPS drops neither GPU has ANY activity or temp rising what so ever. I get more activity out of mine sweeper or solitaire. So I'm guessing here that the game is running entirely off my CPU at this point. Also the game never puts more than 2.8GB of RAM to work (including windows).

So by this point I'm thinking... Driver? Ok, so I've rolled back to the 12 series, 10, 9, hell even the factory installed beta driver that came straight from Dell (8.9). Exact same result across the driver spectrum. I'm at a loss. Really would like that smooth fresh play FPS rate all the time since I KNOW my hardware can do it, it teases me with it everytime I play.

This issue is the only thing that's kept me from buying a founder's pack. I'm not investing money in a game that runs like tar on my machine NOW and may run worse later. Not with all the money I dropped to get this rig to beast graphically non-demanding games like this, hell no.

I know how you feel my rig isn't exactly beastly but i should be able to run this game at mid graphics and i just get in for maybe a round or half a round of pvp and boom pc restarts because card gets too hot. But from what i heard STO and CO did this in beta and was fixed for launch so I'm crossing my fingers.
  • barakkabarakka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Specs:
    i7 @ 3.2
    16GB System RAM @ 1600

I have a similar issue, i have tried everything, i have an i7 8gb nvidia geforce 635M 2GB i have to set everything to low cause im getting 15-20 fps, using the GPU tweak for asus i monitor the temp and never goes higher that 50 C, i have even changed from the game in troubleshoot forcing the game to use the graphics card but still no response, any ideas??