shield
    shard of the endless avalanche

tab chill strike
    tab repel

ice storm
    oppressive force
    arcane singularity

more than enough, the good one just come in late
  • rkv13rkv13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    The Control Wizard needs to have an AoE right click instead of that frost ray. I mean, in 4E the whole point of Controllers is damaging and status affecting big groups of enemies, so why do both at-wills only target one? I've only played a little with the CW so far and have enjoyed it immensely, but I find them to be a bit under-powered strictly for this reason.

tldr: make Frost Beam (or whatever) into Cone of Frost or something similar. (Chain Lightning interval stun status affect, CoFire dot, etc.)
    8.jpg
  • abaddonxkabaddonxk Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well, both the 3rd at-will and the at-will of the only Paragon Path that's currently available (Spellstorm Mage) are AoE powers. Granted, they both suck pretty badly. :l
  • micras007micras007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I also feel a bit of lacking AE spells, more so when Im soloing around... In instances I can usually move down lesser mobs with CoI along with the cleric, and just focus on keeping the maintarget debuffed and locked down :P
  • gizmo53gizmo53 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    CW doesnt need anything, after patch aoe last long enough to kill big group of mobs and even with with elites theres no problem. Imo its good as its now. I just did 50lvl with wizard and i can easily say that if theres anything else added to improve cw itll be overpowered and needed nerf.
  • scyldscyld Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So... then do things get significantly better at higher levels, compared to oh 15?

Because the CW seems bad at handling multiple mobs at around this level. Yeah, I can lock down single mobs very well, but I can't distribute control effects across a crowd of mobs well enough.
  • alsarothalsaroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Not more AOEs, but let the ones we have have a greater effect, duration and area.
    "A rare display of intelligence, undoubtedly fleeting." - Edwin Odesseiron
    edited March 2013
    You get Steal Time - an AoE slow then stun with pretty good damage - at level 20. That's when your AoE ability really starts to shine. Combining that with Icy Terrain's disable + chill, Conduit of Ice's damage + chill maintain, and spell-mastered Chill Strike's AoE damage, groups don't stand a chance.
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    rkv13 wrote: »
    The Control Wizard needs to have an AoE right click instead of that frost ray. I mean, in 4E the whole point of Controllers is damaging and status affecting big groups of enemies, so why do both at-wills only target one? I've only played a little with the CW so far and have enjoyed it immensely, but I find them to be a bit under-powered strictly for this reason.

tldr: make Frost Beam (or whatever) into Cone of Frost or something similar. (Chain Lightning interval stun status affect, CoFire dot, etc.)

AoE right click at level 30. It rocks, but could do with more damage.
  • bismar7bismar7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    1-10 very quick very easy, 2-3 shotting most mobs
    10-20 Really the same as above, jus/t had harder bosses.

20-30 this is where it picked up, I felt like the challenge here was the best. Mob speed wasn't stupid fast (So I could kinda kite), Solo bosses were challenging but not stupid hard, and (I think it was in this level bracket) a dungeon I went into dropped a bunch of cure serious wound scrolls (the res scrolls). Then there was that boss that took like 10 minutes to kill that would two shot the tanks... was awesome lol.

30-40 This was bullcrap. I want to compare it to D3 pre inferno nerf... I died more than 10 times through soloing and eventually grouped up with a rogue(doing this made it easy mode). The fact is that single mobs are REALLY easy to kill, but when you get 3 or more its really easy to die, so the trash packs would have a field day. One quest I remember having a hell of a time with is the undead and the dying, where you kill the drowned king. Fixing this (imo) would be simple, let Ray of frost send out a Ray for everything in 5 yards of what I am targeting. Of course, problem solved when I hit level 40 and got SS.

40-45 (this is where i a atm, Sudden storm (SS) is amazing, and once you get it, it will solve your aoe problems. Its on something like an 8 second cd and does about a third of mobs health per hit, only problem is that it can be hard to aim, but that a player skill thing that gets better the more you use it.

All in alll my thoughts on the CW is that he doesn't have enough control. I don't know a single CW past level 30 who went Control powers > damage powers. General consensus is that we STILL lack control, so it becomes better to just go with the idea that if you kill them before they kill you, you win. I wish this were not so, I wish this would be changed; But I saw two posts from Admin/devs saying it would be... and yet it feels even worse this beta from last.

Final thought, please release the Scourge warlock/Archer ranger sooner than later. If I have to play a damage focused caster I would like to play one designed to BE a damage focused caster.
    26.jpg
  • gaymer87gaymer87 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 291 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    The AoEs are perfectly fine, we need more control spells and maybe some defensive magic. We need to be able to control mobs and control the damage being done to ourself.
    *~Ezenkrul Kor'hedron -Drow Sorcerer~* **on hold**
    *~Serixil Kor'hedron- Drow Trickster~*
  • babylonbabylon Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    gaymer87 wrote: »
    we need more control spells and maybe some defensive magic. We need to be able to control mobs and control the damage being done to ourself.

Nonsense, you need nothing - it comes down to managing your skills and timing :p
    gaymer87 wrote: »
    It comes down to managing your skills and timing.
    THIS IS CLERIC AGGRO IN BW3
  • snorri30snorri30 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    babylon wrote: »
    Nonsense, you need nothing - it comes down to managing your skills and timing :p

we have quite devastating AoE spells imho
  • whipschmuckwhipschmuck Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    alsaroth wrote: »
    Not more AOEs, but let the ones we have have a greater effect, duration and area.

Yep, I'd start with this. Almost all AoE spells need a buff in a couple of areas (damage, area, etc.).
  • rangorvixrangorvix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I feel aoe is fine really, more control yes - though not more control spells to be clear, just better duration perhaps...but I am okay with the way it is now more or less. Perhaps make the Oppressor Control Paragon stronger, with more focus on buffing stun/immobilise duration/effect, or more recharge reduction on those encounter spells - rather than so many damage buffs Feats.
    edited March 2013
    We do not need more AoE or better control, people just need to learn how to use the powers we already have.

For AoE, opening with the lightning at-will (I forget the name) followed by a spell-mastered Chill Strike will kill most 'lesser' mobs before they can take more than a couple steps toward you, leaving you to toy with the bigger one/s however you like. Steal Time stuns mobs in a large area for ~5 seconds, does decent damage, gives a ton of AP (which lets you cast the incredibly OP Arcane Singularity all the time), and also gives you a full 5 stacks of Arcane Mastery as long as you hit a single enemy with it, buffing your single-target CC and damage.

For single targets, Entangling Force holds an enemy for ~6 seconds at 5 Arcane Mastery, Chill Strike stuns for ~2-3 seconds, Repel gives you up to ~6 seconds until the mob gets back to you - depending on the open space and whether the mob is ranged or has a charge skill. You can easily keep a single target CC'd permanently, as long as it's not immune.

What we really need is something to make us useful against bosses who are immune to CC, other than killing adds. Maybe some more debuffs or something.
  • almireldignoralmireldignor Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think instead of the on-the-spot aoe for the at-will lightning bolt, maybe it could have a stun, or a movespeed debuff instead? i just don't feel its usually worth charging up all the way in combat as it is :l
  • spellwardenspellwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 357 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    tbh the most fun I had was around lvl 30 to 40. I would say that it comes down to how you set up the feats, what items you wear, and what skills you use.

Ofcourse, anything but power and crit is pointless, since at most I could change 1 or maby 2% in recovery or life-steal. This might change in end-game, but for getting there, I would say that the CW, just like a striker, needs to focus on Power and Crit.

The class is fine. I just hope that Non-chill based play stays viable at end-game. I did not like that kind of play, since it became managing levels of chill, and popping skills in according to a set series, which was what turned me off other MMO's.

Some like it, fine, but I hope that the two versions of play stay equally viable.
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    tbh the most fun I had was around lvl 30 to 40. I would say that it comes down to how you set up the feats, what items you wear, and what skills you use.

Ofcourse, anything but power and crit is pointless, since at most I could change 1 or maby 2% in recovery or life-steal. This might change in end-game, but for getting there, I would say that the CW, just like a striker, needs to focus on Power and Crit.

The class is fine. I just hope that Non-chill based play stays viable at end-game. I did not like that kind of play, since it became managing levels of chill, and popping skills in according to a set series, which was what turned me off other MMO's.

Some like it, fine, but I hope that the two versions of play stay equally viable.

Crit + Recovery works best, I've found. At level 35 I was sporting around (I think) 1200 recovery. With stat bonuses, that let me rotate chill strike + entaglement and keep a big mob or quest boss perma-locked (unless I did something stupid and missed my timing).