test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Great Weapon Fighter's restoring strike

masonity84masonity84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
edited March 2013 in PvE Discussion
Is the heal supposed to be so underwhelming? IT was healing me for around 1.2% of my maximum HP. With feats, I could have 3% temp hitpoints too added whenever i use it, which in a one minute fight adds up to around 17% healing or temp hitpoints. 18% if I take an end game class defining feat to add on 50% more healing as a HOT. Why would I take that as my class defining feat when the base heal is so underwhelming?
Post edited by masonity84 on

Comments

• Options
    jendrynjendryn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 53
    edited March 2013
    It is very lackluster. Just replace the skill with another aoe skill. Proceed to faceroll through everything, since this class is literally a bowling ball. We'll see how it scales at later levels, but up through 15 it just wrecks face.
  • Options
    masonity84masonity84 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's a good single target dps attack anyway, which is something the class lacks, so I prefer it to shout. But seeing as the healing is it's defining thing it really needs to pack at least some punch.
  • Options
    airelanairelan Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    its dmg is pretty good, at least it seems so far atm since Im only lvl 7. Healing though is really pitiful. 1230 health and it only heals for 15.
  • Options
    nethershadowsnethershadows Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I use it for the damage, the heal on it needs a serious look at though lol. But it is a very nice ST skill.
  • Options
    therepstertherepster Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It's 10% damage from what I've seen. Want more heals from it? Do more damage.
  • Options
    hyphenjayhyphenjay Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    yup, it heals for 10% of the damage you deal with that strike
    feels a bit low for a single target attack though...
  • Options
    sturmjaegersturmjaeger Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I agree, either the healing factor needs some serious buffing, or the single target dmg needs buffing to make it worth keeping.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I think I'd prefer a minor HoT rather than a one time heal.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    amosov78 wrote: »
    I think I'd prefer a minor HoT rather than a one time heal.

You can add a HOT to it at the end of one of the paragon path feat trees. Unfortunately it's 50% of the base heal, and with the base heal being so low it'll be just as pointless. One hit taken (not a telegraphed hit, just a normal swing) can negate it.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    masonity84 wrote: »
    You can add a HOT to it at the end of one of the paragon path feat trees. Unfortunately it's 50% of the base heal, and with the base heal being so low it'll be just as pointless. One hit taken (not a telegraphed hit, just a normal swing) can negate it.

Blimey, I'd say they should have gone for something based off the damage the attack dealt.
  • Options
    doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    When I saw a self-heal power I got exited; the truth was underwhelming. I'd like to see more healing from it, even if it did less damage.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    It is based on the damage dealt...

However, the average damage dealt by it with up to date gear is around 1/10th of your HP pool. You regain 10% of damage dealt. Therefore it's around 1% of your HP. The HOT element is 50% of the healing itself. So in this case you'd have a 1% heal and a 0.5% HOT.

10% of damage done is fine for a self heal built into an at will, but on a 15 second cooldown it's just not even noticable. I use it as a single target big hit, NOT a heal.
  • Options
    kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited March 2013
    Really it should be higher or give a 10% damage dealt lifesteal buff for a few secs (this would make it more useful), as it is it only heals about a 5th of standard monsters attack.
  • Options
    jkap92jkap92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Yeah I've noticed this too, the heal is almost completely negligible I don't even really view it as part of the skill anymore, I just use it for the damage spike.

I feel like it really could use a pretty sizeable healing buff without throwing balance out of whack. In my experience in dungeons GWF dps is far suirpassed by trickster thieves at least at level 15ish. I think this skill needs some love, either buff the damage and remove the heal or just buff the heal because as it stands the heal is virtually nothing.
  • Options
    zingarbagezingarbage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    jkap92 wrote: »
    Yeah I've noticed this too, the heal is almost completely negligible I don't even really view it as part of the skill anymore, I just use it for the damage spike.

I feel like it really could use a pretty sizeable healing buff without throwing balance out of whack. In my experience in dungeons GWF dps is far suirpassed by trickster thieves at least at level 15ish. I think this skill needs some love, either buff the damage and remove the heal or just buff the heal because as it stands the heal is virtually nothing.

What was your plan of attack for the GWF? I seemed to lead the charts on damage fairly easy though single target the rogue was a bit ahead. I was usually in the 240-280k range for damage.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nyxelia666nyxelia666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    zingarbage wrote: »
    What was your plan of attack for the GWF? I seemed to lead the charts on damage fairly easy though single target the rogue was a bit ahead. I was usually in the 240-280k range for damage.

can't say you are wrong but i tested out both classes up to lvl 30ish
    specially testet TR and GWF in the lvl 24 delve i guess it was cragmine or sth.
    whole run with both chars on full blue lvl 20 gear all on max dmg
    well the surprising thing was my TR did about 780k dmg total that run... the GWF did only a half 400k dmg total.
    tried to stay behind the mobs all the time... wasn't that hard to do cause mobs always jumped at the cleric :D
    i wonder if the gwf scales better in endgame.. right now at lvl 30ish its not as good as a DD or a tank
    love the GWF so far but it lacks a bit dmg imo
    and on the topic.. hope they change the heal a bit..otherwise they could have left it out completely
    Xe'Luna White - 60 GWF - GS: 10.257 - offensive build and still tanking
  • Options
    kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited March 2013
    Lets see GWF got STR +damage as main stat and DEX +%crit and CON +HP as secondary stats.
    Rogue got DEX +%Crt as main stat STR +damage and CHA +damage from behind as secondary stats.

^ Given that the Rogue got 3 stats boosting damage to the fighters 2 I would expect the Rogue to do more damage.
    The only time i expect it not to be true is in a bunched up fight where the fighters can hit multiple mobs.
    The problem in BW3 is mobs chase the cleric who running reducing DPS of everyone.
  • Options
    epixcomixepixcomix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The heal needs to either be boosted into the 50%-75% of damage done range, or the heal needs to be dropped entirely and some other effect tacked on, like maybe a knockdown or a boost to your damage resistance. As things stand now, really, the heal is pretty much completely ignored. It doesn't even heal enough to make up for a single hit from a minion, much less anything tougher or multiple opponents.

The only thing this strike "restores" is my sense of humor when I see the heal amount.
  • Options
    freelancesunfreelancesun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Do not see the problem here. We are talking about a ability that deals decent damage and has a fairly short cool down. This is a Meat cleaver rampaging through anything in its path. Having a ability that gives you some hp back is in my opinion just a bonus, and if your crying about healing get a companion cleric or make friends with a cleric. The skill is designed to do damage the heal is just a bonus. if anything take the healing off and add a DOT bleed effect ... If I wanted to heal myself id drink some beer .... I uh mean potions that I found were very easy to find and were also easy to purchase. Except when I was in dungeons with lazy healers trying to out DPS me then I just chug all day long. Stick to healing you lazy cleric.

This is based off of D&D and clerics are supposed to be battle tanks dishing out moderate damage while supporting the Real DPS classes such as Fighter Thief and Mage
  • Options
    epixcomixepixcomix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Do not see the problem here. We are talking about a ability that deals decent damage and has a fairly short cool down. This is a Meat cleaver rampaging through anything in its path. Having a ability that gives you some hp back is in my opinion just a bonus, and if your crying about healing get a companion cleric or make friends with a cleric. The skill is designed to do damage the heal is just a bonus. if anything take the healing off and add a DOT bleed effect ... If I wanted to heal myself id drink some beer .... I uh mean potions that I found were very easy to find and were also easy to purchase. Except when I was in dungeons with lazy healers trying to out DPS me then I just chug all day long. Stick to healing you lazy cleric.

This is based off of D&D and clerics are supposed to be battle tanks dishing out moderate damage while supporting the Real DPS classes such as Fighter Thief and Mage

The "problem" so to speak is that the heal function on this attack is pointless as it is. If they simply wanted to give the GWF a hard hitting attack, they could have done that without adding the healing portion. Obviously they intended some kind of niche or mechanic to be filled by this, but whatever they were hoping to achieve did not seem to happen. The reason people are commenting so much on this is because this is the whole point of beta tests and player feedback. Some things seem good on paper but in actual use turn out not to achieve the desired effect.
  • Options
    shultzillashultzilla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    The majority agree that the heal is pointless, and I would have to agree. We all seem to like the damage. Changing it to a HoT and increasing the amount healed sounds good. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the healing removed all together and adding a different effect, like a knock-up.
  • Options
    sockforum44sockforum44 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 59
    edited March 2013
    This is the #1 damage attack you have. Do not nerf the damage.

Screw the little heal, buff the damage. Maybe buff the talent.