test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Guardian Fighter DPS?

wallace90wallace90 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
edited March 2013 in The Militia Barracks
Hey, i didn't get a chance to play the first beta weekend so i was wondering, can the Guardian Fighter be a DPS role rather than a tank? or is it a tank only class.

Thanks for any help!
Post edited by wallace90 on

Comments

• Options
    raugarraugar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    it's at least very defensive. even if u try to make a more offensive layout, it of course will never outdamage pure dps classes. if you're in for dps, other classes will be a better choice.
  • Options
    wallace90wallace90 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I thought that would be the case, thanks your help :)

Hopefully they'll release some more footage of the GWF :D
  • Options
    raugarraugar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    just look around youtube. gwf was the most played class in the last beta weekend. there's tons of footage.
  • Options
    hosierman1hosierman1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 72
    edited February 2013
    GWF (Great weapon fighter) wasn't in the last beta weekend :o

I haven't played the game yet but from what i've seen of the GF (Guardian Fighter) it looks to do enough damage to stay competitive and has the added bonus of survive-ability. Don't forget you can tailor make your companion to be DPS too to help speed things up

I'm also interested in seeing the GWF in action but right now I think my main will be a guardian
    Foundry quest NW-DKCR8S6GH
    Trouble at "The Rock" please play and review if you have the time, thanks
  • Options
    arythorarythor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    A Guardian Fighter deals respectable damage, but only in the sense that in any mainstream, modern MMORPG, all classes deal respectable damage because all classes must be able to solo well. In other words, the Guardian Fighter is not solely relegated to soaking up damage in parties; his damage contributes in a meaningful way, and he can solo fine. However, compared to the Trickster Rogue, an actual striker, the Guardian Fighter, a defender, does quite a bit less damage and there is no mistaking him as a striker.

I would not be surprised if, once we can play all five classes in the beta weekends, we find out that the Guardian Fighter has the lowest or almost the lowest potential for damage. This, of course, is the trade-off for the excellent damage absorption. On top of the best armour, having a shield and the ability to block make the Guardian Fighter the most durable class. With Fighter's Recovery, a daily power, you can even heal yourself to full every fight or two, depending on how quickly you can fill up the action point gauge.

Anyway, I am definitely going to be focusing on a Guardian Fighter at launch, but only because my precious Paladin is not available. I hope that is remedied before 2013 closes. :)
  • Options
    jimbzjimbz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I had a ton of fun playing the Guardian Fighter and they will be the most valuable asset for PVP. With their AOE knockbacks and defense, aswell as burst capability if you link your skills together, i will be playing one at launch.
    17.jpg
  • Options
    bejita231bejita231 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    lol dont kid yourself, two handed fighter is dps all the way, i can see 2handed fighter obliterating other classes in the damage charts because all their attacks are giant aoe swings, and this game is nothing but packs of trash mobs for the 2handed fighter to farm

to call this class a defensive character is silly, it has weaker armor than a guardian and doesnt have a shield, where a rogue stealths and hits one enemy for big damage, a 2handed fighter does big burst hits and cleaves lots of enemies at once
  • Options
    bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I can see them doing pretty good dsmge but your probably better going off with GW:Fighter if you want to do damage. You'll probably be able to tank fairly effectively as well.
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    The important thing to remember is that every class has a role that they are expected to play. If you don't play that role, your daily power won't build up as fast, and you'll be sacrificing some of your primary abilities. So if you decide to play a GF, you better learn to use a shield well, or accept the fact that you won't be using your daily powers very often.
  • Options
    bezza1985bezza1985 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 83
    edited February 2013
    The important thing to remember is that every class has a role that they are expected to play. If you don't play that role, your daily power won't build up as fast, and you'll be sacrificing some of your primary abilities. So if you decide to play a GF, you better learn to use a shield well, or accept the fact that you won't be using your daily powers very often.

Actually, it's taking damage or using your skills that powered your daily power wasn't it?

I played a GF for the first Beta weekend. A 2handed fighter you would expect to out damage a 1 hander, but I tell you what, I was dishing out some serious damage for any mob and boss I came across. Utilising the skills and powers I was able to dish out some great damage, and one of the daily powers acted as a life-steal which made me very difficult to kill.....I hardly used the shield because I was killing things too fast.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Perth, Western Australia
    http://silverdragons-lair.net/
  • Options
    jimhonjimhon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 50
    edited February 2013
    Bezza do you know if its possible to roll 18 str for guardian fighters? (20 if you're dwarf with +2 str)
  • Options
    bezza1985bezza1985 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 83
    edited February 2013
    jimhon wrote: »
    Bezza do you know if its possible to roll 18 str for guardian fighters? (20 if you're dwarf with +2 str)

Yeah, the stats were not exactly random or particularly customisable. I think I could chose 17 Str 20 Con or 18 Str 19 Con.

Fuzzy memory and all that....pretty sure I took some screenshots I can double check /rummage
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Perth, Western Australia
    http://silverdragons-lair.net/
  • Options
    somthgelsesomthgelse Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 47
    edited March 2013
    arythor wrote: »
    Anyway, I am definitely going to be focusing on a Guardian Fighter at launch, but only because my precious Paladin is not available. I hope that is remedied before 2013 closes. :)

Yeah I'm surprised as you that the Paladin is not available. Given how many Christian family friendly guilds seem to be in the guild recruiting forums. It may be a disconnect between who they expect to be playing the game and who will actually be playing. They will probably have to refocus a bit after launch.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    When the going gets tough, the tough get a trusty longsword and get to work!
  • Options
    cappio88cappio88 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited March 2013
    How did you do that? Increasing strenght by talent? Is it just a talent selection or there's something that i'm missing? I've tried to do that way but the damage i get overwhelm my heals and so I died often in this way
  • Options
    juumillerjuumiller Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Which race is the best for Guardian Fighter?:) Havent been able to find any thread about it yet?:) Can somebody tell me?:)
    respect.jpg
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    i think gwf will be great dps even will be able to be beter in total damge in dungeons then rogue,since it will have a lot stronger aoe damage and great single target damge but only if dextery will give him crtic chance like it give to rogues
  • Options
    kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited March 2013
    Well you can improve the GF offensive power if you pick the attack focused pathway.

@juumiller best race for GF is a Dwarf H-Orc or Human as things stand depending on what racials you want.

@warpet GWF will be STR major DEX & CON secondary and one of them will give you +%crit for sure after all he is a tanky DPS.
  • Options
    gothispheregothisphere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I believe GWF will be better at AOE damage and the Rogue at single target. In a party, let the GF grab aggro on the meanest mob, rogue concentrate on said mob and the GWF and CW take care of the all the adds with the cleric healing, controlling, etc as needed.
  • Options
    maroscimarosci Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lol don't kid yourself, two handed fighter is dps all the way, i can see 2handed fighter obliterating other classes in the damage charts because all their attacks are giant aoe swings, and this game is nothing but packs of trash mobs for the 2handed fighter to farm

to call this class a defensive character is silly...

He wasn't asking about the great weapon fighter, Einstein.