test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Any FIRE for Control Wizard?

russellgustorussellgusto Member Posts: 75 Arc User
edited March 2013 in PvE Discussion
I'm enjoying the CW but really need a dash of fire to be sold. Any word on fire spells? I'm pretty sure in 4e the CW's use some fire.

Wishes!
Post edited by russellgusto on

Comments

• abcdefg2234abcdefg2234 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 60
    edited March 2013
    I got a feeling they're saving fire for their striker wizard
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited March 2013
    I'm pretty sure the Warlock will be fire specced.
    Altho someone else mentioned that it might be a backup heal/debuff siphon power type class, which I would personally find much more interesting.
  • abcdefg2234abcdefg2234 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 60
    edited March 2013
    Either way I want to see some glass cannon char. One with massive dps and very little survivability. BIG GUNS BABY!
  • darkstorn42darkstorn42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Most of the fire spells in pnp 4e do lots of damage, and have dot effects after that initial damage, and are big AoEs, they are controllers cause they deal out that AoE damage like crazy, and lots of 10 on going damage (save ends) stuff (DoT). I am expecting to see more fire spells, like scorching burst an at will mini fireball, with their war wizard, as scorching burst is one of their powers in the players hand book.
  • russellgustorussellgusto Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Fire Spells with Control Wizard? I did not see any listed. I honestly can't see playing any type of Wizard without some fire elements to he/she. I mean you're a Wizard lol.
  • bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Looks like their saving it for the Scourge Warlock since they're going to be Infernal Pact.
  • warbaby3warbaby3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    The Control Wizard in the 4E rules uses a combination of arcane, air and ice spells (Stinking Cloud, Thunderwave, Icy Terrain), so I think the fire spells will come with the War Wizard... in combination with the wand implement.
  • wifeaggr0wifeaggr0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    warbaby3 wrote: »
    The Control Wizard in the 4E rules uses a combination of arcane, air and ice spells (Stinking Cloud, Thunderwave, Icy Terrain), so I think the fire spells will come with the War Wizard... in combination with the wand implement.

Yep totally agree. The warlock has a few firebased, witchfire,fiery bolt, flames of phlegethos spells, but mainly would deal in dark entropic type magics.
  • bismar7bismar7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Control wizard is one of two.
    War wizard is the other and uses Lightning and fire spells.

War wizard is the damage focused wizard but we will probably not see that for quite a while.
    26.jpg
  • pyrophoriapyrophoria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So far the one paragon path we've seen was the Storm path with electrical abilities. Who's to say there might not be a fire path as well with some fire Encounters and an At-Will spell? There might be a few paths for each class, but were given just one for that weekend to see how it went. Maybe we'll see another one in a week when the level cap goes up and some changes go in.

Let's wait and see! Could use a little fire.. NEED FIRE!.. Fwoosh and jazz..
  • nikadaemusnikadaemus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Warlock and Radiant Servant path for Cleric :)
  • vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I will admit I am ignorant of 4th edition rules having played from 1st through 3rd edition. That being said, I did miss burning hands and color spray. Two of my favorites from the earlier editions.

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg
  • kinsaedakinsaeda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    A wizard without a fireball just seems lacking somehow. Even if its the only fire spell they know.
  • presilkpresilk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 103 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    was surprised not to see a firebolt type as an at will spell. ice with damage and slows mob while fire being straight damage higher than ice.
    perhaps its coming but not in the beta..... hoping....
    would hate to invest heaps of time into my control wizard for then to present later a different type of wizard, one that I really wanted in the first place. im not one to create many characters within the one game, i prefer to make one and concentrate making it the best im able too...
  • trayaltrayal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    presilk wrote: »
    was surprised not to see a firebolt type as an at will spell. ice with damage and slows mob while fire being straight damage higher than ice.
    perhaps its coming but not in the beta..... hoping....
    would hate to invest heaps of time into my control wizard for then to present later a different type of wizard, one that I really wanted in the first place. im not one to create many characters within the one game, i prefer to make one and concentrate making it the best im able too...

Control Wizard description, as listed within the D&D 4E player handbook:
    Your favorite powers restrict your enemies in various ways—crushing them in the coils of a lightning
    serpent, trapping them in a cloud of noxious vapor, or encasing them in ice. Intelligence drives your attack powers, so make it your highest ability score. Wisdom can help you maintain control over your enemies if you choose the orb of imposition form of Implement Mastery, so it should be your second-best score. Make Dexterity your third best score. Putting a good score in Constitution can help you stay alive by increasing your hit points and healing surges, as well as contributing to your Fortitude defense. If you choose the staff of defense form of Implement Mastery, your Constitution can also help your other defenses. Select powers that help you control the battlefield and make the best use of your high Wisdom score.

Neverwinter's classes are the suggested build versions of the main classes out of the 4E PHB. With that in mind, you'll likely never see fire on the Control Wizard. If they make a War Wizard, you'll see it there, as they primarily focus on Fire and Arcane.

That being said, I did mention "likely", so there's always a chance. But the 4 classes already in the game also match up to these builds, so I do find it doubtful.
  • bismar7bismar7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    As Trayal said above, The control Wizard is about control.
    The War wizard is about damage; Fire seems to fall in the damage category so WHEN the War wizard comes out a year from now you'll have a reason to return to the game :)
    26.jpg
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    One of the Devs said no fire for the control wizard in a different thread. They did say we would see a caster with fire coming at some point, but not the control wizard.
  • lmk2lmk2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    They might want to put the Dragon Magic Sorceror in the game and keep it fire based, because including the Wild Magic Sorceror would be somewhat strange.

(PH2 has those two, while Arcane Book has the Lightning and Cosmic Sorc versions)
  • argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    An old man with thinning blond hair, combed ridiculously over his head in a swoop, leans back with a stern look on his face... YOUR FIRED!

;)
  • wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    kinsaeda wrote: »
    A wizard without a fireball just seems lacking somehow. Even if its the only fire spell they know.
    Fireball is one of the most iconic D&D mage spells, it feels plain wrong to launch the game without player mages able to cast it.
  • pyrophoriapyrophoria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Agreed, though it doesn't seem the power to fit on a 'Control' Wizard. Though when it comes to Paragon Paths, it wouldn't be difficult to squeeze in, right? The Control Wizard does have three trees. Tactical, DPS and Control. It wouldn't surprise me if later on, closer to launch, there were more paths we could choose. Never know, right? Either that or the Scourge Warlock will be the dedicated fire slinger.