test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Important question regarding spider mounts.

xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
edited March 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I haven't been on the forums as much, so sorry if this has already been discussed. I couldn't find any info on it threw my searches.

How fast will the spider mount be? If there is no significant speed boost, then many people like my self will only ride it till we get a faster mount. Then it will be in our banks forever. I understand not everybody is like me, but there is a perfect example from the game Ultima Online. They came out with a new very rare, very hard to obtain ship. But it was slower then some of the normal ones. So those who earned it put it in there banks and almost never used it.

Speed is far more important then style. You can do a simple test if you don't believe me. This next beta weekend give away 2 free mounts. One an armored wolf but take away its speed boost. Make the second mount an unanimated grey cube that you sort of sit on like a horse, include lots of clipping. But make the second one as fast as the nightmare, and see what people use more ^^
Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
Post edited by xearrik on

Comments

• Options
    daytonamaxdaytonamax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    xearrik wrote: »
    I haven't been on the forums as much, so sorry if this has already been discussed. I couldn't find any info on it threw my searches.

How fast will the spider mount be? If there is no significant speed boost, then many people like my self will only ride it till we get a faster mount. Then it will be in our banks forever. I understand not everybody is like me, but there is a perfect example from the game Ultima Online. They came out with a new very rare, very hard to obtain ship. But it was slower then some of the normal ones. So those who earned it put it in there banks and almost never used it.

i read in a different thread earlier (much earlier, i don't remember which one) that the spider mount was the same speed as the standard mount. It was just the special skin (armored spider) that you were getting that was special.
    Speed is far more important then style. You can do a simple test if you don't believe me. This next beta weekend give away 2 free mounts. One an armored wolf but take away its speed boost. Make the second mount an unanimated grey cube that you sort of sit on like a horse, include lots of clipping. But make the second one as fast as the nightmare, and see what people use more ^^

I would ride the Gelatinous Cube mount simply because it is a Gelatinous cube mount, even if it was as slow as regular mounts.
  • Options
    xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    daytonamax wrote: »
    I would ride the Gelatinous Cube mount simply because it is a Gelatinous cube mount, even if it was as slow as regular mounts.

Nothing I said made is sound like a Gelatinous Cube, other then using the world "Cube". Gelatinous Cubes are not solid grey un-animated blocks. Good luck not being consumed by your mount if you manage to find one though. ^^

*Enjoys the humor of imagining somebody trying to tame and ride a Gelatinous Cube.*
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
  • Options
    bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Wouldn't surprise me if it the same quality of the other armored mounts which are all rare quality with high movement speed.

From what I remember there's three quality of mounts. Common which are white with the most basic speed. Lightly armored which are blue, and slightly faster. Then armored which is rare, and the highest speed.
  • Options
    hopeless2hopeless2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 73
    edited March 2013
    I would hope it's the same mount speed as the best available mounts.
  • Options
    castagyrecastagyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'd be ok with it if they do like what RIFT does with some of their special mounts. The mounts from buying the game or events or whatever go as fast as the fastest mount you have available to you (usually purchased). So they upgrade to remain useful as the speed of your fastest mount improves.
    Remembering Hanlon's Razor can save one a lot on aspirines.
  • Options
    scootmienscootmien Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 70
    edited March 2013
    castagyre wrote: »
    I'd be ok with it if they do like what RIFT does with some of their special mounts. The mounts from buying the game or events or whatever go as fast as the fastest mount you have available to you (usually purchased). So they upgrade to remain useful as the speed of your fastest mount improves.

Yes, this would be the ideal solution I think.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Everyone has different priorities. For me it would be about style, I'll take the Nightmare - even if it were no faster than walking/running without a mount, thanks.
  • Options
    wesgarwesgar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, I read in another post that the spider mounts were 'rank 3' mounts, which have a boost of 120% to base speed.

I REALLY hope that is correct. otherwise, this really is just kind of 'wasted' money - I can't see anyone get a taste of +120% speed and not instantly crave such utility.

I was hoping that it was clarified officially somewhere, sigh, anyone know for sure?
    Thanks,

zWolf / Wesgar

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    krubarkrubar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 841 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Think it is like this:

Basic mount, no armor (level 1 mount).
    Light armored mount (level 2 mount).
    Armored mount (level 3 mount).

The guardians get a Armored horse (level 3).
    Heroes get Armored spider (level 3).
  • Options
    babylonbabylon Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    krubar wrote: »
    Think it is like this:

Basic mount, no armor (level 1 mount).
    Light armored mount (level 2 mount).
    Armored mount (level 3 mount).

The guardians get a Armored horse (level 3).
    Heroes get Armored spider (level 3).

You'd expect this to be the case, going by the prices they're charging for these packs.
    THIS IS CLERIC AGGRO IN BW3
  • Options
    zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    babylon wrote: »
    You'd expect this to be the case, going by the prices they're charging for these packs.

Telling the truth, I find the level1 horse already fast enough from my Beta experience. How would you control a 135% faster speed on a spider?
  • Options
    babylonbabylon Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    zagemogga wrote: »
    Telling the truth, I find the level1 horse already fast enough from my Beta experience. How would you control a 135% faster speed on a spider?

Easily, have you not played games like RIFT and SWTOR where you can get faster mounts.

Faster = better.
    THIS IS CLERIC AGGRO IN BW3
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It is also important to note that the way it worked last beta weekend is that there are upgrades you can purchase to increase the rank of a mount. I don't remember if they were sold with AD or gold, but they were available from the mount vendor. At first glance, I assumed they were upgrades to the rider's skill but after reading the description saw that they were upgrades you could seemingly apply to any mount.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    zagemogga wrote: »

It wouldn't be 135% faster - it would be 35% faster.

Level 1 Mount = 100% Speed (baseline measurement)
    Level 2 mount = 120% Speed (20% faster than level one)
    Level 3 Mount = 130% Speed (15% faster than level 2, which is 35% faster than level 1)

I agree - even just a 35% increase in speed is pretty darned fast. My question is: will this be a constant speed? Or will it work the same way as Champions Online where some of their movement "powers" start out at 100%, then while moving, after 5 seconds or so bumps to 15% faster, then another ten seconds it boosts to 30% faster than starting speed (actual percentages and times are guesses on my part) - STO uses two modes: walk/jog and run, where pressing the shift key invokes a run (but shift key is used for dodging in NWO already).

My main points are: Founder's mounts will be level 3 and likely only available at level 60 - possibly level 50 (just a guess on my part) and the real question (for me) is the speed constant or variable in some way?
  • Options
    keda51keda51 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I bought an Armored Worg (level3 mount) and it was considerably faster than normal horses and was rideable at lvl 20. I'm assuming the Ranks determine how difficult it is to be knocked off he mount, NOT the speed.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    keda51 wrote: »
    I bought an Armored Worg (level3 mount) and it was considerably faster than normal horses and was rideable at lvl 20. I'm assuming the Ranks determine how difficult it is to be knocked off he mount, NOT the speed.

You'll make my day if you're right! (immediate availability at level 20/level 3) LOL

However, I do recall (could be wrong) that I read official announcement somewhere that level is also increase in speed along with "survivability".
  • Options
    keda51keda51 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    You'll make my day if you're right! (immediate availability at level 20/level 3) LOL

However, I do recall (could be wrong) that I read official announcement somewhere that level is also increase in speed along with "survivability".

Quite possible the Level 3 mounts were allowed to be ridden at lvl 20 just for Beta testing. I'm simply sharing my experience with what happened IN GAME to me. I'm thinking they will implement it as you say, we will be able to ride our Spiders as a Level 1 mount until it is trained to higher levels (+speed and dismount).

But, as I said this was IN GAME, this past weekend I was FLYING past mobs and not dismounted ONCE and surely going at LEAST 120% speed. I wouldn't be surprised if it was indeed 135%.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    keda51 wrote: »
    Quite possible the Level 3 mounts were allowed to be ridden at lvl 20 just for Beta testing. I'm simply sharing my experience with what happened IN GAME to me. I'm thinking they will implement it as you say, we will be able to ride our Spiders as a Level 1 mount until it is trained to higher levels (+speed and dismount).

But, as I said this was IN GAME, this past weekend I was FLYING past mobs and not dismounted ONCE and surely going at LEAST 120% speed. I wouldn't be surprised if it was indeed 135%.

Thanks for reply. Yeah I think the actual speeds are 100% (benchmark) - 110% and 120% for each level respectively. I was using the other person's numbers as an example. :)
  • Options
    krubarkrubar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 841 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Ok here is my guess.

Basic mount no armor (level 1) easier to get knocked off.
    Light armored mount (level 2) harder to get knocked off.
    Armored mount (level 3) hardest to get knocked off mount.

I think we can ride any level mount and the level determines how easy we are knocked off.

Now for faster speeds. I remember seeing a rank 2 speed increase for like 2 million AD I think. And I do remember the rank 3 speed increase was over 4 million AD because I could not believe something was that high. If anyone remembers the exact numbers, feel free to tell us.
  • Options
    flametrenchflametrench Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    xearrik wrote: »
    Nothing I said made is sound like a Gelatinous Cube, other then using the world "Cube". Gelatinous Cubes are not solid grey un-animated blocks. Good luck not being consumed by your mount if you manage to find one though. ^^

*Enjoys the humor of imagining somebody trying to tame and ride a Gelatinous Cube.*

I'd love to sit high in a saddle while riding my gelatinous cube through the city of Neverwinter. *Yippie Kay-yay!