test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Number of Quests

lurkersxlurkersx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
When I was leveling my characters last weekend I noticed there weren't quite enough quests. I was one level behind quests until about 15 then it seemed I hit two levels behind quests and at 25 I was three levels at some points.

To me it seems like there may need to be more quests, one more at each hub would make a large difference. It wasn't hard to level but staying on par would be nice. I ran clock tower six times between 15-18 to gain some more experience. I realize there were some hidden quests and I think I found most of them as I did a lot of exploring. Anyone else feel like a few more quests would help?
Post edited by lurkersx on

Comments

• Options
    hironssshironsss Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I read something about they took most of the sidequests out of the beta. Can anyone confirm this? Also with the foundry there will be enough quests.

But I dont want the game to lack quests because Developers are relying on the foundry to fill the gap. The game itself should provide enough quests even without the foundry.
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Between the quests, Invoking, Zone Challenges, Delves, and Skirmishes I can't see a need for any more. I skipped quests, and avoided all of the Delves & Skirmishes, and I was fine. I did do about 6 Foundry missions, but still, I think there is plenty to do. I did find a few little "hidden" areas that had some groups of mobs to kill, so those helped a bit too.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    All of the quests scale. There's no way to truly fall behind.

Also, try some of the Foundry missions. They should fill some of the gaps ;)
  • Options
    zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Usually, in non-scaling games, you level ahead of quests. So much that you have to do grey stuff if you want to see them all.

Here I had the same as you, it seems the quests are intentionally scaled 1-2 level higher than your character. My biggest problem was loot, the items I found and wanted to keep were nearly always 1-2 levels ahead of me until I could use them.

Two questions :)
    1. Could you make non-bosses only drop comsumeables? (thinking of the ID-scrolls issue)
    2. Could you make monster drop items 1-2 level below their level, that we can use them straight away? (thinking of the inventory space)
  • Options
    kimonagikimonagi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    All of the quests scale. There's no way to truly fall behind.

Also, try some of the Foundry missions. They should fill some of the gaps ;)

Beta weekend 1: i didnt have any problems with quests, i was the required level when sent to a new area. I didnt do any group content and only did 4 foundry modules.

Beta weekend 2: It started with the Bandit area (level 20 area) i was 18 when sent there so i did Skirmishes and the dungeon twice. After finishing the zone, i was sent to the Graveyard at 24 and the first quest i got was the encounter with the red wizard and he was 26 not 24. Fight was impossible because boss ecounters like that will break your block in like two moves if you are two levels lower. I didnt see that fight scale in anyway.

I like the foundry missions but a company releasing a game should not rely on its player base to fill the gaps, they should make it so they have enough content from the start.
  • Options
    xaralleixarallei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Do foundry missions give as much xp as the developer-made missions? I did like two foundry missions, but I wasn't paying attention to how much xp they gave.

One question though, I was just following the normal questing. I noticed when going to a gate to enter other areas that I was locked out of certain zones completely. This is rather disappointing. People should be able to travel where they wish. Also, was it blocked simply because I was too low level or was it blocked because I need to finish quests in a prior zone? I hope it was the former and not the latter. Forcing people to finish zones sucks. If I want to level through delves and foundry missions and occasionally skip some of the normal missions in a zone, I should be able to. That shouldn't block my progress in advancing to a new zone.
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    lurkersx wrote: »
    When I was leveling my characters last weekend I noticed there weren't quite enough quests. I was one level behind quests until about 15 then it seemed I hit two levels behind quests and at 25 I was three levels at some points.

To me it seems like there may need to be more quests, one more at each hub would make a large difference. It wasn't hard to level but staying on par would be nice. I ran clock tower six times between 15-18 to gain some more experience. I realize there were some hidden quests and I think I found most of them as I did a lot of exploring. Anyone else feel like a few more quests would help?

as a cleric I didn't have that issue and as a magic user I thought they might be using the standard (magic users require more xp then most) system. The reason I didn't have that problem was due to the sheer number of respawns in a location. You have to battle your way around in these zones leading up to level 14 (it's when I stopped) and because of this you get xp. I also noticed there were buffs from standing in certain camp fires blue zones. It might have given me an xp boost but I am not sure because I was having too much fun as a cleric on this game to stop and notice. AOE instakills FTW!
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    xarallei wrote: »
    Do foundry missions give as much xp as the developer-made missions? I did like two foundry missions, but I wasn't paying attention to how much xp they gave.

They should give similar XP and rewards at least based on a number of factors that are claculated behind the scenes. Cryptic has learned from the mistakes of STO and designed player content to be as similar in reward structure to the standard content as possible.
    xarallei wrote: »
    One question though, I was just following the normal questing. I noticed when going to a gate to enter other areas that I was locked out of certain zones completely. This is rather disappointing. People should be able to travel where they wish. Also, was it blocked simply because I was too low level or was it blocked because I need to finish quests in a prior zone? I hope it was the former and not the latter. Forcing people to finish zones sucks. If I want to level through delves and foundry missions and occasionally skip some of the normal missions in a zone, I should be able to. That shouldn't block my progress in advancing to a new zone.
    The full answer is unclear at this point. There may be some areas which are quest unlocked but many are level unlocked. Going to MT Hotenow at level one would be instant death for instance. While the instances are scaled "hub" areas if you wish to call them that are not.

As for the matter of relying on players, they're not absolutely relying on them. I personally didn't have any issues at all on the leveling curve and I'm not entirely positive why some did. However if you feel you are falling behind take up the Foundry Missions.
    Honestly I'm relying on the Foundry Content, not Cryptic. While I respect Cryptic I know from NWN1 and NWN2 that player content in many cases far exceeded developer content. Since the Foundry will be so accessible I don't expect that to be the case here but I do expect some shining starts amongst the community.
  • Options
    fursnakefursnake Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 84
    edited March 2013
    I played a Cleric and I found myself leveling on par with the level range of the content. I did run the first skirmish twice and I ran the Cloak Tower dungeon twice so that may have helped keep me at the same level as the quests.
  • Options
    noolidnerdnoolidnerd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Foundry Quests are intended to be woven into your questing experience. NPC's offered me Foundry Quests a few times but I expect when the Foundry is actually active this will happen far more often.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mltdwnmltdwn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 73
    edited March 2013
    Have to ask Amb what level did you start and end at on your characters this weekend because I went from 1-30 on a Trickster Rogue, did everything solo except for the dungeons/skirmishes, and when I ended the quest rewards I was getting were level 34-36 and the mobs I were fighting were in the same level range (we're talking having just finished Neverdeath cemetary whose clockwork tower, the last dungeon there, is all mid-30 creatures). That also includes doing pretty much all of the Foundry quests that were rated 3 stars and higher.

As for relying on the foundry content, sorry I can't agree. The foundry should be bonus, Cryptic is the ones responsible in the end from getting us from 1-60. Imagine if you will, however unlikely it is, that no one used the foundry to create anything. End result people run out of ability to increase levels. A company cannot require player participation and bank their game's success or failure on it, well they can but it would be foolish. I'm not saying they need to provide us multiple quest paths or what not, but they should at least provide us enough quests out of the box to take us directly from 1-60.
  • Options
    kimonagikimonagi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    for the matter of relying on players, they're not absolutely relying on them. I personally didn't have any issues at all on the leveling curve and I'm not entirely positive why some did. However if you feel you are falling behind take up the Foundry Missions.
    Honestly I'm relying on the Foundry Content, not Cryptic. While I respect Cryptic I know from NWN1 and NWN2 that player content in many cases far exceeded developer content. Since the Foundry will be so accessible I don't expect that to be the case here but I do expect some shining starts amongst the community.

We both agree that foundry quests are better then the official quests and that they will only get better with time. I dont think its a wise decision for a company to give a barebone campaign when releasing a game assuming that the player base will fill in the rest if they run out of content.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    I got to level 35 or so on the new higher difficulty settings. Yes the rewards dropping seem to be higher level but it gives you something to aim for and is not something I personally find reason to complain about.

As for you disagreeing with the Foundry, that's up to you but as a NWN player I can say I absolutely hated the NWN 1 and 2 campaigns. If NWN didn't have a Toolset it wouldn't have been 10% the success it was. NWN as a game was quite bad even for the time.
    The saving grace of NWN was the Toolset which brought the user's imagination to work. I played NWN for five years basically exclusively purely because the Toolset brought entertainment long past I lost the initial "oooh's" and "aaaah's."

So coming from that standpoint and that experience, I'm hoping once the Foundry takes off I won't have to look at much if any of Cryptic's content. I like the Cryptic OC better than NWN 1 but it's still not the experience I had on NWN. To each their own...
    But I am already leveling on par with little to no catch-up and after your first charatcer or two I hope you'll respect the fact this game won't be a forced campaign grindfest like other MMO's.
    If it wasn't for The Foundry, in all honesty, I would have little interest in this game. The Foundry is what will define the future of NW. :)

EDIT - I understand the point, I just didn't fall behind as with the some of the other users. So that begs the question, why did some of you fall so far behind when other did not?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Amb I don't deny the quality (heck I programmed NWMush and helped with developing NWNX so I understand where you are coming from), my point like Kim's is that Cryptic should provide everything in base to get you from 1-60, quality of the quests don't matter, but it should be enough to get you from 1-60 were nothing added. And that is the point Kim and I are arguing. Not from a quality or whether it will be the future or not (I think we agree), but rather if as a company should Cryptic not be held to the same standards that we would hold anyone else to in terms for amount of content?

I could care less if the Foundry is the greatest thing known to man and cures cancer. Those facts do not absolve the responsibility of Cryptic, as a company wishing to gain our money, to provide the base level of content. Well ok... The curing cancer would, I would totally let them off the hook for that.

As for falling behind when others didn't, I honestly don't know of 1 person that didn't say they were behind in levels to quest other than you. Everyone I have talked to, and pretty much every post I have seen on the forum, other than yours, basically states dead on the same. By early to mid-20s people were ~2 levels below the quests, by 30 they were ~4. As for why? Again no idea especially given there is presently only one way to progress on levels and all go through the exact same path with all quests for a particular level range being in the same zone and even same region of the zone. Unless you were re-running skirmishes, dungeons, and foundry there really should be no reason for there to be a difference.
  • Options
    valtrayvaltray Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    So if quests scale with level.. does this mean that being high level won't make it any easier in low level zones? you can't one shot mobs, etc? Like in GW2?
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Yea foundry is great and I love it. But Cryptic should provide the same amount of content as if the foundry didnt exist. If for example next year Cryptic brings out an expansion which raises the lvl cap from 60 to 70 with NO quests at all. Telling players this expansion doesnt need quests there is enough stuff on foundry just go play that. Getting the point? This is an extreme example but you get the idea.

The foundry isnt a legit reason for Cryptic to be lazy.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    valtray wrote: »
    So if quests scale with level.. does this mean that being high level won't make it any easier in low level zones? you can't one shot mobs, etc? Like in GW2?

I know foundry quests scale with level, but I don't know for a fact that the Cryptic quests do. I actually suspect they do not as if they did I would not have been fighting level 34 and 35 mobs in the Clock tower over in Neverdeath when I was level 30. Nor demons 3-5 levels higher than me in the planes.
  • Options
    shaudiusshaudius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm of the opinion that its impossible for Cryptic to make enough quests to satisfy people's desire for them. MMO players devour content faster than any one dev team could create it. Cryptic could spend another year making quests for the game and MMO players would be done with it in less than an month and be ready to move on to the next game or loiter in the endgame. That is the great thing about UGC, the community can make more quests than any one person could ever possibly play, that's why Cryptic and others point to UGC because if quests are what you're after its the best way to get them, the devs just can't provide enough on their own.
    Neverwinter Foundry Fansite with IRC Chatroom - http://www.tavernugc.com. Chatroom also available through IRC on irc.geekshed.net, #tavernugc.
    Neverwinter Official Wiki - http://neverwinter.gamepedia.com/
  • Options
    zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    hironsss wrote: »
    Yea foundry is great and I love it. But Cryptic should provide the same amount of content as if the foundry didnt exist. If for example next year Cryptic brings out an expansion which raises the lvl cap from 60 to 70 with NO quests at all. Telling players this expansion doesnt need quests there is enough stuff on foundry just go play that. Getting the point? This is an extreme example but you get the idea.

The foundry isnt a legit reason for Cryptic to be lazy.

I would also compare it with NWN1/2. Cryptic would release a new 'module' or 'compaign' which is made by developers rather than users. Those were usually more epic and introduced new 'official' weapons/races/classes which could be used in future user made quests.
    Here in Neverwinter Online, the distinction between Foundry content and official content is also very fine:
    • Users can add locations to the map, where the campaign takes place. There is this mine in the mountains you never noticed before.
    • Users can use NPC on existing maps to interact with and 'start' the quest. So you talk to a guy who was always there in the Protected Enclave, who sends you to a sewer which entrance was also always there on the map you just never knew there is something down there until another player created the quest.
    • You get the same loot/items as in the official quests.
    What doesn't work yet:
    • Chests as reward to find secret doors or other things in between. I loved this one foundry quest, where I found a secret door and was greeted by the DM as NPC, who told me the feature is not implemented yet :)
    • Things which require Dungeoneering, Thievery, Nature or Religious skills (haven't seen any)
    • Some special items/monster like Mimics I think cannot be placed on maps yet.
    • Voiceover
    • Probably a lot of other things I don't know yet.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Cryptic doesnt need to make enough quests for players to play years. But it should be enough to go 1-60 without getting behind or making use of the foundry. This isnt too much to ask right? Foundry is great and all but it should be optional, not a requirement for a steady pace of leveling.

They just need to make sure you will reach 60 if you have done all the quests Cryptic provided once.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    zagemogga wrote: »
    What doesn't work yet:
    • Chests as reward to find secret doors or other things in between. I loved this one foundry quest, where I found a secret door and was greeted by the DM as NPC, who told me the feature is not implemented yet :)
    • Things which require Dungeoneering, Thievery, Nature or Religious skills (haven't seen any)

Ah man this sucks.Those are necessary for a varied and fun dungeon. Hope they will improve the foundry a lot. While the foundry is great it still has a lot of limitations. These can break or make the game. They need to be careful about it.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    zagemogga wrote: »
    [*]Things which require Dungeoneering, Thievery, Nature or Religious skills (haven't seen any)

Actually that is incorrect, that works and Dweomer Keep has this exact thing via the statue of Mystra.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    mltdwn wrote: »
    Actually that is incorrect, that works and Dweomer Keep has this exact thing via the statue of Mystra.

Could be, I played it in Beta1. The statue outside, as I remember there was some plate with a dialogue option to check some attribute? I don't think there were these other extra-bags or doors like in the official quests.

Anyway, would be nice if this is already implemented. Going to check again next beta :)
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    mltdwn wrote: »
    As for why? Again no idea especially given there is presently only one way to progress on levels and all go through the exact same path with all quests for a particular level range being in the same zone and even same region of the zone. Unless you were re-running skirmishes, dungeons, and foundry there really should be no reason for there to be a difference.

I did exactly the same thing i did in BW1 with the same class build + 2 Skirmish run and 2 Dungeons runs and was sent two levels lower in two zones one after the other, dont really know how else i can explain it more clearly o.O
  • Options
    daed76daed76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    yeah they nerfed the exp amounts we were getting from beta 1 where the quests and mobs were never more than one level above my character. it really sucked having to kill mobs 2-3 levels above me in beta 2 and the items were always above my level by 2 levels at least.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    daed76 wrote: »
    yeah they nerfed the exp amounts we were getting from beta 1 where the quests and mobs were never more than one level above my character. it really sucked having to kill mobs 2-3 levels above me in beta 2 and the items were always above my level by 2 levels at least.

If they nerf experience its a good thing, it will make leveling take longer. Its the idea that its the players making adventures and modules on their own free time that should drive this game forward that irritates me.